Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">So we have had our first problem and of course it happened while we are on the road in the middle of nowhere South Dakota !!

We were a couple of hours outside of Hill City headed towards Fairmont,MN on our way back home when our check engine light goes on and the engine coolent gauge spikes. We aren't showing any physical signs of overheating. No leaks, smoke or smells. But we pull off the road anyway and turn off the engine. After 5 minutes we start up the engine and it is cool and we are good to go. Chad says there is no way if the engine was really overheating that it would have cooled off that much so quickly. We take off and 80 miles later it happens again. We pull off again and the same thing happens. So we take off yet again and this time only get about 5 miles. We don't think we are overheating so we try to just push though it thinking we can have it checked out when we get back home. The fail safe kicks in though because the engine thinks we ARE overheating. We can't go over 30 mph at this point. So we pull off again and pull out the manuals. We call the dealer who gives us the number to our local Ford dealer back home. He gives us the number for the Ford RV service department and the people there were great, We talked them through what was happening and we were told that this has been happening to some of the RV's with this chassis. They asked us if we could get about 30 miles East to Chamberlain where there was a Ford dealer who could see us. We start up the engine and all seems well and we made it all the way there without another incident.

When we get there the guy that helped us says first thing "I always hate it when I see an RV come in" and he wasn't sure where the diagnostic port was (we didn't either). He says that's ok and he goes in and puts in some of our info in his computer in the office and brings us out a printout.

It says "Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4 l or a 6.8L (which we have) engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp".

The action is "if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating istall a new thermastat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics".

He never actually checked to see if we were overheating, so apparently we are fine. They didn't have the parts in stock and wouldn't be able to get them in until Friday or Saturday (it is Wed. today). This was a small shop and didn't seem all that familiar with rv's. Sioux Falls was a few hours away and could get the part for us on Friday and it is a much bigger dealer. So we called them and they got the part of order for us.

Luckily I had my Trailer Life directory and my laptop with me and I began checking around for a campground in Sioux Falls. First time I ever had to make spur of the moment, on the road campground reservations. My mom and stepdad are also traveling with us in their own car so we had to find a place with a hotel not too far away.

We ended up at the Jellystone at exit 402 off of I-90 in Sioux Falls. They were very accomodating on the phone, this is our first time at a Jellystone. They let us make reservations for today and tomorrow and possibly Fri and Sat if we should need them. We are right near the freeway, but the campground is clean and has activities for the kids. We have a decent corner site on a hill.

The dealer is going to have the part Friday morning and should have us on the road by that afternoon as long as there isn't really a problem with overheating. It didn't really throw us off track too badly. We should be able to pull into the campground we are already booked at in IL on Friday night. We will be getting a later start than we had planned and now have further to drive since we are about 120 miles west of where we were supposed to be. So we will most likely spend one extra night at that campground in IL so we can have the whole weekend to relax before taking the final 380 miles home.

All in all I guess things could be worse. Part of me is upset this wasn't a recall item. We could have had this taken care of before we ever left home. I would have been mad had this happened on a trip when we were on a strict time table. But I am not going to let it bother me. It's not Winnie's fault. She has been handling really well and we don't blame her.

THANKS FOR READING THIS FAR !!</span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">So we have had our first problem and of course it happened while we are on the road in the middle of nowhere South Dakota !!

We were a couple of hours outside of Hill City headed towards Fairmont,MN on our way back home when our check engine light goes on and the engine coolent gauge spikes. We aren't showing any physical signs of overheating. No leaks, smoke or smells. But we pull off the road anyway and turn off the engine. After 5 minutes we start up the engine and it is cool and we are good to go. Chad says there is no way if the engine was really overheating that it would have cooled off that much so quickly. We take off and 80 miles later it happens again. We pull off again and the same thing happens. So we take off yet again and this time only get about 5 miles. We don't think we are overheating so we try to just push though it thinking we can have it checked out when we get back home. The fail safe kicks in though because the engine thinks we ARE overheating. We can't go over 30 mph at this point. So we pull off again and pull out the manuals. We call the dealer who gives us the number to our local Ford dealer back home. He gives us the number for the Ford RV service department and the people there were great, We talked them through what was happening and we were told that this has been happening to some of the RV's with this chassis. They asked us if we could get about 30 miles East to Chamberlain where there was a Ford dealer who could see us. We start up the engine and all seems well and we made it all the way there without another incident.

When we get there the guy that helped us says first thing "I always hate it when I see an RV come in" and he wasn't sure where the diagnostic port was (we didn't either). He says that's ok and he goes in and puts in some of our info in his computer in the office and brings us out a printout.

It says "Some 2005-2007 F-Super Duty and F-53 Motorhome chassis vehicles equipped with a 5.4 l or a 6.8L (which we have) engine may exhibit an engine temperature gauge indicating an overheating condition with the malfunction indicator lamp".

The action is "if it is determined that the engine is not physically overheating istall a new thermastat and crossover pipe. They have been revised for improved cooling system flow characteristics".

He never actually checked to see if we were overheating, so apparently we are fine. They didn't have the parts in stock and wouldn't be able to get them in until Friday or Saturday (it is Wed. today). This was a small shop and didn't seem all that familiar with rv's. Sioux Falls was a few hours away and could get the part for us on Friday and it is a much bigger dealer. So we called them and they got the part of order for us.

Luckily I had my Trailer Life directory and my laptop with me and I began checking around for a campground in Sioux Falls. First time I ever had to make spur of the moment, on the road campground reservations. My mom and stepdad are also traveling with us in their own car so we had to find a place with a hotel not too far away.

We ended up at the Jellystone at exit 402 off of I-90 in Sioux Falls. They were very accomodating on the phone, this is our first time at a Jellystone. They let us make reservations for today and tomorrow and possibly Fri and Sat if we should need them. We are right near the freeway, but the campground is clean and has activities for the kids. We have a decent corner site on a hill.

The dealer is going to have the part Friday morning and should have us on the road by that afternoon as long as there isn't really a problem with overheating. It didn't really throw us off track too badly. We should be able to pull into the campground we are already booked at in IL on Friday night. We will be getting a later start than we had planned and now have further to drive since we are about 120 miles west of where we were supposed to be. So we will most likely spend one extra night at that campground in IL so we can have the whole weekend to relax before taking the final 380 miles home.

All in all I guess things could be worse. Part of me is upset this wasn't a recall item. We could have had this taken care of before we ever left home. I would have been mad had this happened on a trip when we were on a strict time table. But I am not going to let it bother me. It's not Winnie's fault. She has been handling really well and we don't blame her.

THANKS FOR READING THIS FAR !!</span>

Old 07-11-2007, 08:59 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Yikes Shannon that sounds like a PITA!!! Having been driving around in 100-110 degree heat here in Utah I am hoping I don't run into this on our way home. Hope all goes smooth for you.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 12:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Now, You and Your family are true RVers.
You met Crisis and stared it down. You dealt it a death blow and your valor on the field of dreams was exemplatory. You handled the situation in the manner of an old timer and we on the forum are proud of you.

I hope your troubles are never more than a false reading...Good Luck and keep us posted.
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We had a similar experience last summer in South Dakota in the Rushmore area. We were climbing a long grade with a posted speed limit of 45 mph, it is fairly hot out (~85), and we are heavy - almost at gross weight limit on the coach, 32,000 pounds, and the Jeep weighs in at about 4,400 pounds.

We are a few minutes into the climb and the Freightliner info center is flashing a temp warning. I think we were at about 220 degrees. We made it to our destination with out any problem, but I made an appointment with the local Freightliner dealer to get this sorted out.

The tech rode with us while monitoring the Cummins diagnostics. Sure enough on the same grade with the Jeep in tow, the engine temp rose to about 218 (as I recall) and the info center flashed an overheating warning but the Cummins computer did not set an overheating code.

Apparently the Freightliner info center collects data from the Cummins computer and decides when something needs attention. When we returned to the Freightliner shop, the tech made sure our hydraulic motor cooling fan was okay - and it was (it doesn't even come on until 215 degrees.)

The tech said it was no problem as long as the Cummins didn't set a code. The basic problem was I didn't know to downshift to keep the engine RPM at about 2,000 for maximum cooling performance.

Sure enough that was the trick.

Like Jim (ichn2go) says - keep a good attitude and deal with the issues as they arise. It will take a while to get everything sorted out.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Shan,

Welcome to the club! We have been inconvenienced 3 times (2X on the '00 Journey) where we actually had to be towed. Each time we had to stay at least overnight, and 2X had to stay 2 nights.

First one was a faulty oil pressure sender (which was redesigned as it had a high failure rate), second was a broken wire, and third time just this past spring on the new coach was an early life failure on the power steering pump.

We have now camped at 2 Freightliner parking lots and 1 Cummins repair shop lot. Always had the TOAD so we made the best of it. And the camping was free!!

We survive -- it's part of the RV experience.

Glad it wasn't anything serious.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now, You and Your family are true RVers.
You met Crisis and stared it down. You dealt it a death blow and your valor on the field of dreams was exemplatory. You handled the situation in the manner of an old timer and we on the forum are proud of you.

I hope your troubles are never more than a false reading...Good Luck and keep us posted.

Happy Trails! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">I had to read your post to Chad and he is practically beating his chest with pride, rofl !! We are honored to officially be part of the gang now. </span>