Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Found broken check valve at the cold water inlet to the water heater. tee was there with spring but the backing plate was gone and the tee had no spring pressure and thus sealed the opening and prevented cold water from entering....No replacement parts available so we removed the guts and replaced the brass fitting...I don't winterize so I am ok for a while till I can get the correct check valve replacement....thanks for the help....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Found broken check valve at the cold water inlet to the water heater. tee was there with spring but the backing plate was gone and the tee had no spring pressure and thus sealed the opening and prevented cold water from entering....No replacement parts available so we removed the guts and replaced the brass fitting...I don't winterize so I am ok for a while till I can get the correct check valve replacement....thanks for the help....RKL
Old 03-06-2005, 06:30 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have a friend in Florida Keys, who just had the same problem on his 03 Adventurer, and found the check-valve had come apart on his too. He found a replacement valve from a local RV parts store, and it cost him about $10. He told me that the plastic valve assembly is just pressed together (friction-fit). If the valve disc were glued in place, it could not come apart and block the water inlet. Does your old valve look the same?

P.S. He said his replacement valve was made exactly the same, so theoretically it can happen again.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Capt. Bill...inside my check valve was a white plastic "golf Tee" and a spring not connected to anything and a rubber O ring at the bottom..On the bottom of the "tee" is a slotted collar which was about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. I believe that in order to make the tee work properly, there should be a plastic sort of washer shaped piece (doughnut shaped) in the slot collar that would serve as the base of the spring while the top of the spring meets the unside of the t. this would provide the pressure to keep the t from bottoming out against the o ring and blocking the flow to the heater. With back pressure on the spring, the spring would force the t against the inlet pipe when the water was off and when the water was on, the water pressure would push the t and spring against the plastic doughnut collar and let the water flow into the heater....I believe this is how it is supposed to work...my broken doughnut is probably inb 2 pieces in the bottom of the heater tank....sorry to be so lengthy but this is how I believe a check valve is supposed to work.....hope it helps....I agree that if the doughnut was glued on to the t, I would not have had this problem........RKL
Old 03-07-2005, 03:32 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the explanation RKL. Now I uderstand it better and I agree with your assessment.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 02:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Might be a good idea to carry a spare check valve in case of failure. I have replaced three valves over the past few years. The cost for a brass valve is around $10.00.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

How do you get to the check valve. Do you have to remove the dog house?
Stumpjumper is offline   Reply With Quote