Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking for a while about replacing the incandescent lights in my MH with fluorescents...I'm struggling with how many watts the lights should be.

I'm thinking that the under counter lights should be 8 watts, and the overheads should be 16 watts.

Has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

P32 Workhorse chassis
RocketDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've been thinking for a while about replacing the incandescent lights in my MH with fluorescents...I'm struggling with how many watts the lights should be.

I'm thinking that the under counter lights should be 8 watts, and the overheads should be 16 watts.

Has anyone done this and do you have any advice?

P32 Workhorse chassis
Old 10-01-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I'm a big fan of fluorescent lighting. When we were outfitting our boat for extended cruising and mostly hanging on the anchor (as in no shore power), fluorescent lighting was our primary lighting. Even a small incandescent bulb draws a lot of power and generates heat.

Since my eyes aren't as functional as they used to be, I like lots of light. Go for the largest wattage you can find for the overhead considering the space you have to work with. Our factory-equipped fluorescent ceiling lights are nicely sized and work well, but I don't know the wattage of the bulbs.

Eight watts might be enough for an under the counter light, but I think I'd go larger.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I haven't found one yet, but I wonder if a two bulb (16 watt) fixture could be split with two switches, one for each bulb...That would be the best of both worlds.

I dry camp a lot, so having the option to reduce the draw would be nice.

P32 Workhorse chassis
Old 10-01-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Rocket
Check out the latest Motorhome mag. Nov. issue about LED lighting.
They have plug in LED replacements that you might like.
I just received my replacement led lights for one of my Flourescent fixture. Its from Jirah lighting. Google Jirah for their website.
Just an alternate you might consider.
Their current draw is way less than Flourescent

website is jclampstand.com
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Try Here for fluorescent light fixtures made for motorhomes.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Camping World has some fixtures I have used in the past. I am sure there is a way to have two switches...Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 03:54 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I, too, like the idea of switching to LED's rather than going fluorescent. For one, LED's are dimmable, if you'd like a variation in amount of light....and good for MOOD lighting too! ....Not to mention the ease of replacement vs fluorescents.

Fluorescents come in either 8 or 16 watt types, I believe. I replaced an original 8W light fixture with a 16w one for lighting over my desk, but the wife complains it's just too bright! Cost was about $75 per. Using these fixtures across the kitchen and living room would result in too much brightness, in my opinion. Finally, the two bulb fixtures are driven by a single ballast, so I don't see how you'd knock out one bulb, in a practical manner.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've seen two models out there with two switches on them. I think it would be a simple matter to add a ballast on a single switch unit too. I'd pby only want a couple of them this way.

I think I'll order one of each wattage (8 and 16) and install, then determine what I need for the other lights in the coach. I have seen units up to 30 watts...

I hear people talking about LED replacement lights, but I haven't found anything that seems reasonable. The ones in the link above provide <100 lumens, that's not much. The 8 watt florescent provides around 400 lumens for comparison.

P32 Workhorse chassis
Old 10-05-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I replaced the incandescent lighting in our last 5er with florescent fixtures from walmart. They said 120VAC, but they worked fine on 12VDC. Waaay cheaper to buy also.
Someone told me they cannot work on 12V because of the ballast, but they did.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

You might try here.