Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Foggy Window Fixed!

I just had my entrance door window fixed today. It had been getting moisture building up in it over the last few months. We used the MH to travel from CA to PA (my wife actually drove this direction while I was in Iraq) and then from PA to FL and then back to CA. Any way since returning the window hazed with a thick white crystal covering well over 1/2. I will post pictures tomorrow if able.
I emailed Dave Root from his website, and found that he was moving to Alabama from Oregeon. He said that he is making stops on the way, fixing windows. I read the "How to fix atwood " manual, but didn't have the time to do it, so...
Any way I am very very pleased. I will post pictures chronicling the method.
He removed the window and cleaned it. We did have one hitch, the etching from the crytsals. We used vinigar and it helped greatly. Then it was resealed and replaced.
I would say that the window is 90-95% clearer. The big thing is that it won't get any worse than it is now.
The price was right and done at my house.

Wife ( real lovely!), 3 Kids, 90 lbs Golden Retriever
OutBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

if you could give me a mesg with his number my 71 brave front windows are turning white for age and hoping i can get them fixed

thanks
Jeff
FF_Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutBurger View Post
I just had my entrance door window fixed today. It had been getting moisture building up in it over the last few months. We used the MH to travel from CA to PA (my wife actually drove this direction while I was in Iraq) and then from PA to FL and then back to CA. Any way since returning the window hazed with a thick white crystal covering well over 1/2. I will post pictures tomorrow if able.
I emailed Dave Root from his website, and found that he was moving to Alabama from Oregeon. He said that he is making stops on the way, fixing windows. I read the "How to fix atwood " manual, but didn't have the time to do it, so...
Any way I am very very pleased. I will post pictures chronicling the method.
He removed the window and cleaned it. We did have one hitch, the etching from the crytsals. We used vinigar and it helped greatly. Then it was resealed and replaced.
I would say that the window is 90-95% clearer. The big thing is that it won't get any worse than it is now.
The price was right and done at my house.
Where did you get the "How to fix Atwood" manual. Would appreciate the info...
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

You really lucked out. It cost me $1500.00 to have two windows replaced at the Winnebago factory for interior fogging.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I have attempted to attach the window repair instructions that I found on the Internet. I think that I could do this, now that I have seen how it was done on my RV. If you have help and take your time you should have no trouble.
If you find a good source for the window and you just go and replace them, this guide will help. I had the window scraped with a razor and vinegar to remove the hazing.
Have fun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WindowRepair.pdf (1.52 MB, 621 views)

Old 03-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I have attempted to attach the window repair instructions that I found on the Internet. I think that I could do this, now that I have seen how it was done on my RV. If you have help and take your time you should have no trouble.
If you find a good source for the window and you just go and replace them, this guide will help. I had the window scraped with a razor and vinegar to remove the hazing.
Have fun.
OutBurtger thanks a lot. I didn't know this PDF was out there. Just goes to show you that this forum is a valuable resource as are all that participate. Thanks again.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Have fun.
'OutBurger' -- thanks for an outstanding presentation of your window repair project. Many of us wish we had your talent!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I saved it, nice job
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I did have my window fixed, but I had some else do it. I also didn't make the manual that I posted, but found it on the internet instead. I know know that I could easily do the window myself with this manual. Here are some pictures of my window being being fixed.
I just didn't want to take credit for something that I didn't do myself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140698.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	3407   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140700.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	3408  

Name:	P1140701.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	3409   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140704.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	3410  

Name:	P1140705.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	3411   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1140706.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	3412  

Old 03-14-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Appreciate your honesty/modesty, but you put it out here for us. I've got one fogged window, so it might save me a bunch! If I get real ambitious, that is!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I did mine myself --- it is not that hard to remove the door window -- take off the interior trim first --- about 12 screws and it comes off. Then you can see how the window is held in -- remove the frame holding it and go to a good glass shop. I ordered from a local shop and paid less than $200.00 (I think it was $167.00) for a replacement sealed window -- I took it home and re-installed it and put the trim back into place. The total time I spent removing and putting back in was less than 2 hours. The glass place mounted the new glass in the frame for me at no additional charge.