Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2021, 04:02 PM   #1

Question Fresh water Tank cleaning

What can I use to clean out my fresh water tank and system. what is best way of cleaning it? Products????
Thank you
bruce Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2021, 04:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce Dixon View Post
What can I use to clean out my fresh water tank and system. what is best way of cleaning it? Products????
Thank you
Unless there’s something wrong that you’re trying to address, I would simply drain the system, including the HW tank, blow it out with air, then sanitize it with a strong bleach solution. Fill up the tank with a good bit of water with the bleach and drive it around to slosh it up the sides. Then pump it through the system as you normally would to sanitize. If there is serious concerns you might want to repeat it.

Others can chime in. I sanitize the system when I reopen the RV in the spring, same way.
GABob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 04:38 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
As GABob said, drain and sanitize.

I prefer Purogene for sanitizing. It's safer than bleach (won't ruin your clothes) and doesn't corrode the metal bits in your plumbing. It's what Boeing specifies for sanitizing the fresh-water systems in their aircraft.

It's available from Amazon.

But, bleach works fine too.

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 05:53 PM   #4

If the amount of bleach used damages anything you used way to much. You’re trying to kill any micro-organisms, not clean your tidy-whiteys.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:05 PM   #5

If using bleach, Clorox recommends to only use their regular bleach and not the "Low Splash" or scented versions.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #6

How to sanitize your RV fresh water system.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:09 AM   #7

1: Turn Off Your Water Heater and drain Your freshwater System. You don’t want to drain the freshwater system with the water heater on. This will damage the water heater. You need to turn it off and let it cool before you drain the water.

2: Fill tank part way, then add 1/4 cup of bleach for every 15 gallons of water in your freshwater tank. Complete filling the tank. You can pour directly into the tank or pour the bleach into your fresh water hose and sanitize your hose at the same time.

3: To make sure the water with the bleach solution gets all the way through the system. Turn on all the faucets and run the bleach water until you can smell the bleach coming out of each faucet.

Step 4: Let The Water Sit For 12 Hours. (for faster sanitizing double the amount of bleach per gallon and let sit for 4 hours and follow step 5) The solution will take time to really sanitize your system well. I suggest letting the solution sit in your freshwater system overnight.

Step 5: After at least 12 hours of letting the RV sit with the bleach solution in the freshwater system, you need to drain all the water out again. Then refill it with fresh water and start circulating that water through the system. Open all the faucets and flush the system until you can no longer smell the bleach. Refill with fresh water.
gnewhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
You can also keep your tank "super chlorinated" (which is a misnomer because all you're doing is adding a little more chlorine than is in the normal water supply) during times when you are connected to a fresh water supply. Simply add 1/8 cup (more or less) to each 20 gals of water and keep your tank full while hooked up. This will keep your water fresh and minimize chances of algae growth while sitting. The chlorine will diminish over time so it doesn't normally result in a taste problem.
If you prefer not to 'super chlorinate', at least keep you water tank full - algae doesn't grow very well under water. But it does grow on damp, dark surfaces such as storage tank walls in a partially filled tank
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water