Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #1

Front Sliding Windows

I have a 2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C and the front sliding windows on both sides rattle and have wind noise. The metal strip that is attached to the front of the sliding part (that has the latch on it) are curved away from the glass on both the top and bottom. I am thinking that I need to reglue them to the glass. I have 2 questions, 1st what adhesive should I use and 2nd how do I remove the screen and/or sliding window? It would be much easier to glue and clamp on a table then doing them in place in the motorhome.

Thanks,
Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 02:53 AM   #2

The screens are the easy part. Ours were spring loaded. Just gently push upwards into the upper channel and the lower screen rail should now clear the lower channel and the screen can be tilted inward.

Good luck with the repairs, our glass was already broken so I was not concerned about breaking or removing the window.

To replace the new window, I had to remove the inner window trim ring and the upper weatherstrip. Then place the top of the glass into the now deeper upper channel and tilt the glass into the lower channel. The hardest part was sliding the upper weatherstrip back into the channel and around the glass.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:26 AM   #3

On our 14 33C, the passenger window latch was not installed in the right place, allowing the window to creep open, making a lot of wind noise. I'm going to remove the latch, drill new holes for the screws in the proper place so the latch holds the window shut.
DRVMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:29 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours have done exactly the same thing. I fear that going to all the trouble of replacing the curved parts may be fruitless. I suspect the new ones will curve again. I am afraid to try and reglue the curved ones and don’t know what to use for glue either. I have used round foam and clear tape to stop the wind noise. Not a perfect fix, but it helps and is easily (and cheaply) done as needed.

I will watch this thread with interest.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:33 PM   #5

re: the re-gluing. Check out J-B ClearWeld epoxy, metal to glass is its intended purpose. If you don't already have some, buy a couple furniture clamps to hold it together until the epoxy sets and cures.This should solve the curved metal problem too. Lightly sand the portion of glass that fits into the metal for better adherence, clean both parts with Acetone immediately prior to assembly.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:36 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Same problem here. I ended up taking out the entire window and fixing it on the bench. It took some serious pressure to reset the metal part correctly to the sliding window. I thought I was close to breaking the glass. The remaining glue that hadn't failed was impossible to get to release, no matter what I tried. So it was just a lot of clamping and bending and banging the ends back into shape.

I don't believe it can be fixed without removing at least the slider part. I don't believe the metal will come all the way off for a re-glue without breaking the glass.

The sliding part will come out with the rest of the window left on the rig. But all of the rubber and fuzzy things have to come out of the track to accomplish that. So you will have to rip it all out before the slider can come out.

Winnebago wanted $8 per foot for the fuzzy stuff. I changed it out to some rubber channel from Amazon that is tighter, doesn't rattle, and seals much better. The window is harder to slide, though.

A replacement window is around $500 new, 6 week wait, and then you're left with the same POS that came on the rig when new.

These are the crappiest windows I have ever had on any vehicle I have ever owned! A constant frustration with the rattle and the wind noise.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:00 AM   #7

dan put a light coating of electrical silicone grease (it's clear) on that rubber track, or if that isn't good for you, try baby powder, but it may become sticky when wet__.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 02:21 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks I'll try it. I'm also thinking of the 3in1 special RV window track lube -- I wonder whats in that??

Tags
window