Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #1

Front television stereo output wires for 99 Winnebago Chieftain

Hello, I tried looking for answers but have not found anything. What I am looking for is the wires for the stereo output from the tv to the speakers in the motorhome. I just purchased a 99 Winnebago Chieftain 35U and the previous owner replaced the old tube tv with a small flat screen. He told me that the old tv was hooked up to the speakers in the coach. There is a switch for switching between the radio and tv. I have looked all over in the cabinet and I can not find any wires with a RCA type connector as shown in Winnebago's wiring diagrams. The only extra wires I have found are 2 purple and 2 green wires with female quick connections on them. They were just laying in the tv cabinet. I would like to use the speakers for the tv. I have sent an email to Winnebago hoping somebody there may be able to help. I have check all the different guides including the wiring lists and I can't find green or purple wires. I know from my car audio installation experience that green and purple are used for speaker wires. I just don't want to mess up my new home on wheels. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions
hayesjs615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
hayesjs615, Usually the output from the TV when through a small isolation transformer then to the audio amp and then to the speakers. A lot of the flat screen TVs do not have an audio out and the previous owner may have removed the wire.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grtharris View Post
hayesjs615, Usually the output from the TV when through a small isolation transformer then to the audio amp and then to the speakers. A lot of the flat screen TVs do not have an audio out and the previous owner may have removed the wire.
Yes, right you are Grant. I have a '99 35U and when I put my flat screen in the audio connection that use to work with the old CRT TV would not work with the new flat screen.
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
hayesjs615,
On my 97 Adventurer, all 12v and ground wires are purple and green throughout the entire harness. Each and every wire has a control number printed every few inches. With that number and a wiring flow chart from Winnie, you will be able to identify just what each wire is hooked up to.
When I did the switch from old to new flat screen, I found my speaker wires plugged into the back of the old tube tv via a mini plug (like a headphone jack/plug). It had an internal amp for sound. For my new flat screen to work thru the existing wiring and speakers, required an add-on amp to be installed. I used a PYLE PCA2 2x40w stereo power amp, purchased thru Best Buy.
This model operates on 110vac and I have it plugged into my inverter. PYLE also makes a 12v operating system that works just as well.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:12 AM   #5

On my 99 Itasca w/ surround there is an amplifier (MTSAmp-03) side mounted behind lower passenger heater vents. It says DHS. If yours is the same brand I can tell you what I had to do: First I had to buy a TV with "variable" audio output. I tried & couldn't get my TV output to work on the faux surround so I contacted RiverParkInc makers of the amp & they told me the amp must have the connector pin changed to accept the stereo input. They emailed the schematic to me so I could move a pin over in the connector. I had a little difficulty because I didn't have a tool but I improvised. Now my surround works with my 32" Vizio TV.
lavamanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #6

Thank you all for your responses, Winnebago got back to me with the same information that you guys posted. Thank you so much, I now have a better understanding of how Winnebago did things. I will check out the amp and see what is there. Thank you again.
hayesjs615 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
television, winnebago