Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Forum member TEO just had his coach painted in Mexico and sent me two pics for the forum. He will likely provide some additional info soon (his WiFi connection would not let him post to the forum).

All the work was done in a campground by a fellow who came highly recommended by other RVr's. They lived in the rig while the work was done. TEO said the total cost was only $4,500! for base coat/clear coat. He is very pleased with the results.

Before paint:

After:

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Forum member TEO just had his coach painted in Mexico and sent me two pics for the forum. He will likely provide some additional info soon (his WiFi connection would not let him post to the forum).

All the work was done in a campground by a fellow who came highly recommended by other RVr's. They lived in the rig while the work was done. TEO said the total cost was only $4,500! for base coat/clear coat. He is very pleased with the results.

Before paint:

After:

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Gary - looks like a good job at least from a picture.

When we were down-island in the boat, Trinidad was an extremely popular place to get good quality and inexpensive work done. In Venezuela, our friend had his 56' Hatteras painted and we got a high-quality bottom job done quite cheaply.

I was careful to be present for all of the work operations and keep an eye on the guys.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Looks very nice. Can't tell the difference between that one a new coach. Wish I could go to Mexico!
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by blucrabbie:
Looks very nice. Can't tell the difference between that one a new coach. Wish I could go to Mexico! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's makes two of us!

John, TEO said he watched them carefully and actually helped with some of the work. He said one side of the rig needed 3 coats of primer before the colors went on. I wondered about contamination from dust, bugs, etc. since it was painted outside but he said it was slick as glass.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have seen boats done by spray (we had ours sprayed in Imron at a dusty boat yard) and also 'brush and tip' - they brush (or I guess they could roll) the paint on and then draw/pull out the paint immediately with an expensive fine bristle brush (a two person job - one applies the paint, one 'tips' it.)

Both techniques will produce great results depending on the skill of the painters. Our hull turned out fantastic and it looked like a new boat.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

With clearcoat, after the last coat, the finish is buffed. I'll guess this buffing removes tiny imperfections such as dust.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
TEO
Winnebago Camper

Aah, finally able to reply. My wife and I are extremely happy with the paint job we got in Rocky Point, Mexico. Although I had checked and double checked the work that Antonio has done, I was at the motorhome all day each day that work was being done. Truthfully, Antonio was a lot fussier than I would have been.

The only down side was that it took a few days longer than he thought it would, but it was a LOT more work and required more material than he thought.

Of course that meant more meals at some extraordinary restaurants and more awesome sunsets.

For more information and pictures, write me.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
RLS
Winnebago Owner

Were the windows removed, or did they just paint next to them?
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:09 AM   #10
TEO
Winnebago Camper

The windows stayed in place. We lived in the motorhome all the time the work was being done, so having the windows in place and the A/C running was a plus.

Paul

FMCA F98905
TEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I figured I would just continue this thread. Our 2002 Journey DL was delivered to the shop today to begin the full body paint process. I will provide photos when completed but decided not to make it too elaborate. Will keep most of the white the same to minimize heat absorption from the sun. At the moment we may be painting on the "W" and the "Journey DL" in the same areas. No more decals.

I had not planned on doing anything with the roof but thought about doing something to eliminate the chalk run off. Any suggestions?

Sure hope it turns out well.
journey15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Blu,

We will all be anxious to see the end result.

In terms of the roof, wonder if some of that Linex or similar truck bed liner tinted white would work on fiberglass? If so, you would have a durable and non-slip finish.