Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

While driving over a rough road, my gen dropped offline (I was running the house air cond). Reset ok. Happened two more times when hitting hard bumps. Reset ok. Other than smoother roads, anything I can look for? Is this normal?

Of course this all happened AFTER departing the GNR.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 08:21 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

While driving over a rough road, my gen dropped offline (I was running the house air cond). Reset ok. Happened two more times when hitting hard bumps. Reset ok. Other than smoother roads, anything I can look for? Is this normal?

Of course this all happened AFTER departing the GNR.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 07-26-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Thudman,

When you say it dropped offline, do you mean the generator continues to run but the output breaker trips? If so, it would sound like a bit of loose wiring somewhere that shorts out when it gets jostled. You might try turning off each inside circuit individually (at the breaker box) and see if one of them eliminates the problem. If you can isolate it that far, then just start inspecting the wiring on all the devices/outlets on that circuit.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had the same thing happen this weekend, I retrieved and overvoltage error code from the start switch on the generator. I would also have times when it would start and run for 15 sec. then shut off, I could drive around the block and it would start up as normal. Needless to say it's going back to get fixed.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:52 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If the generator is cutting off, could this be caused by the low oil sensor on the generator?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

What kind of generator is this? If an Onan, it should have stored a fault code which can be retreived to help find the problem. Could be any number of causes, a wiring harnes problem, generator loose in it's mounts (ours was but didn't give a problem) low on fuel, low on oil. Might be a problem with the A/C compressor. Good luck and let us know what you find/found.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 07:55 PM   #7

.....check you coolent....it evaporates over the winter and will cause a shut down.....geofkaye
Old 07-27-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Ummm, to tell you the truth, I hav'nt checked on this in my owners manual for my '04 Brave yet, but...
On my old Coachman my generator would not run if I only had a 1/4 of a tank left of gas to prevent me from running to low and not be able to get to a gas station in time after breaking camp. Could it be the gas level float sloshed around. Were you semi low on fuel. I had an Onan in the coach too.
I need to check this out myself!
Good luck,
AKBrick
Old 07-29-2005, 05:58 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sorry folks that I didn't give details: Onan 5500; full fuel, oil ok, no coolant; runs ok but stops (shuts down) when hitting big bumps. Then starts & runs ok (& carries the loads) til the next big bump. Runs good on smooth roads. Did not have time to check error codes.

Thudman; driving smoothly

Old 07-29-2005, 11:55 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like you may have a loose elctrical connection. Start with the ground to the frame; you can add an additional ground. Then check all other connections to be sure they are tight. If you do not find or the problem persist, you may have a bad connection inside the generator like on thevotage regulator or even worn brushes. How many hours is on the unit? Hope you find and repair the problem easily. Good luck.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:28 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

87 hrs. Thx for your comments. I'll look around.

Thudman

Old 07-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #12

.....bad generator starting battery....or bad gorund on battery and it is dead.....geofkaye
Old 07-31-2005, 06:34 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Don't have a dedicated gen batt. Uses house batts.

Thudman

Old 07-31-2005, 06:43 PM   #14

.....bad connection from whatever battery to generator....post/stud-nut/adapter....somewhere there is a no contact situation....mine cuts off when you remove the negative side of the charger when the batter is bad-not he positive.....go figure?.....geofkaye Onan 12500 diesel .,...buying a new battery Monday