Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2009, 06:43 AM   #1

In earlier forum posts, I've gained a lot of great advice on replacing my analog tv with a lcd tv.

I have a 2004 Winnebago Journey, 36 ft. The tv that I removed was a 26 or 27 inch Sony Triniton. I replaced the Sony with a 32 inch Samsung LCD tv. Recently had a MotoSat HD satellite dish installed. I am very, very, satisfied with the Samsung and the beautiful HD reception that I receive. However, in making the switch, I have not been able to get my sound surround working. Initially, I did get the sound surround for awhile, but it could not control the loud volume. In disconnecting and reconnecting various rca and hdmi cables, I am assuming that I do not have the right connections. This is an appeal for some help.

This is what I have and what I have done. When I took out the Sony, I noticed that there was a sound suppressor wired directly into the back of the Sony tv. This was easily disassembled at a juncture of rca cables. One end of this rca cable run went directly into the back of the Sony tv, I am not sure where the other end terminates. In between the two end point the cables are coupled with an rca connection. In the new connection, I am guessing that the tv end of the sound suppressor will go into either an audio in or audio out on the tv. There are coaxial cables connecting the motosat hd control box and a coaxial cable attached to the satellite in on the directv hd receiver. Therde is one hdmi cable running from the directv hd receiver and connected to the lcd tv. There is an hdmi cable connecting the tv to a JVC dvd/vcr. When I did have some sound surround, I made the sound connection with rca cables running from audio out on the dvd/vcr to audio in on the tv. Since I am using the hdmi between JVC and tv, I don't have this connected. My understanding is that an hdmi cable does both video and sound. I get good sound from the tv only (somes with a hum other times not), but I really prefer to use the sound surround. I went to the wiring diagrams on the winnebago industries page, but I can't really follow them completely. I would like to find some verbal description to accompany the diagrams. There is one part of the diagram that shows a schematic for left and right, center, front and rear speakers. I don't know where this unit is located or even if I have to bother with it at all. In the right front cabinet, there is the switching unit to enable tv/ant power, sat, tv/ant, aux, front tv, rear tv, etc., and a toggleswitch to the left of this for radio or tv.

Thus I am at a loss as to what to do. My thinking right now is that perhaps I should not be using the hdmi cable into the dvd/vcr, but I am not sure about this.

Any and all suggestions are welcome. If there are any manuals that anyone could recommend please do so. As always I appreciate your help, and have found this forum to be the most helpful resource of all.
mycoolbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
On my Journey, to get the surround sound to work, I have to turn on the power to the radio (house versus engine), flip the radio/TV switch to TV, turn on the DVR/VCD player and set it for video. The audio is now controlled by the audio on the video player. That gives me the surround sound on the TV.

Hope this helps.

W8RLM - Bob