Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Hi all wife and I will be leaving for the navy base in great lakes IL tommrow to see our son finish his basic training. we were able to get a site right on the base in there famcamp so my question is this any ideas as to where we can take him to eat when we are there? I know he has to stay with in 50 miles of the base and needs to stay in hi uniform as well.So would like to hear from some that might have stayed in this ares and had a good time.

This will also be the very frist real trip that we are taking with our motorhome even though we have owned it for 3 years so any comments as to what we might want to look at for this trip.

Thanks
Mark
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 05:13 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Hi all wife and I will be leaving for the navy base in great lakes IL tommrow to see our son finish his basic training. we were able to get a site right on the base in there famcamp so my question is this any ideas as to where we can take him to eat when we are there? I know he has to stay with in 50 miles of the base and needs to stay in hi uniform as well.So would like to hear from some that might have stayed in this ares and had a good time.

This will also be the very frist real trip that we are taking with our motorhome even though we have owned it for 3 years so any comments as to what we might want to look at for this trip.

Thanks
Mark
Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 AM   #3

Mark and Joanne ...

Great Lakes is about 6 miles (mainly south) from the 6 Flags Amusement Park ... there are lots of eateries around there ... including Outback and Olive Garden.

If you go in the other direction you will find Omaha Steaks ... my travel software shows 21 Italian restaurants within 5 miles.

I was last through Chicago in June, at that time Edens Expressway (I-94 north of the split with I-90 north of the Loop) was under construction and the traffic crawled along about 5-15 miles per hour. They were resurfacing the roadbed ... hopefully that is completed by now

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Mark,

Let us know how you make out in Great Lakes.

My nephew is going through Basic Training in October and my son plans to enlist after this semester so he will be there in the spring.

So I might be taking the motor home out there for two graduations in the next few months!
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
When my daughter graduated we jumped the train and went to Chicago for the day. Worked out well. It was about 15 years ago and I am sure things have changed since then. I will say that it was in January and I don't think I have ever been colder.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:55 PM   #6

Mark,
We have never been to Illinois so we can't help you with restaurants. We wanted to write to let you know that we want you to thank your son for his service to our country. We pray for the safety of your son and for his safe return.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote