Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #1

First of all a little background on what appears to be a continuing problem.

Last summer we had a problem with our black water tank. It started on a week long outing when we had a mobile sewer truck pump out the tanks. It seems the suction from their pump was more than the plumbing could handle. We found out the hard way that the vent pipe had disconnected from the black water tank. My assumption is that the suction partially collapsed the top of the tank allowing the vent pipe to disconnect.

When we arrived at home there was a foul smell and water dripping down the sides of the coach. After removing several access panels I found one end of the black water tank was no longer supported by the wedge shaped Styrofoam support block and vent pipe detached. At this point I called Winnebago to see if there were any other similar incidences reported, and if there was a known fix for the problem. I also inquired as to any upgrades on the tank installation that might prevent future problems. They were unaware of any similar problems, and assured me the tanks on the newer units were installed in a similar manner.

After several hours of cleaning and repositioning I was able to get the block repositioned under the tank and the pipe reattached. I tested everything for leaks and all seemed well. Once everything was back in its proper place I again called Winnebago to ask if newer models have additional brackets on the tanks to keep them from moving around. (Our tanks have brackets front and rear, and on the drivers side to prevent movement in those direction, but there are no brackets on the passengers side. Unfortunately the black tank support block worked itself out in the only direction there were no brackets.) Again I was told tanks in the newer models were installed in a similar manner.

All was well through the summer and fall months, but after returning from a 3,000 mile round trip to Florida it appears the tanks are starting to shift once again. This time the tanks appear to have shifted slightly forward. There are no leaks but the grey water drain valve is now about 1/4” farther forward and is difficult to open. It interferes with the edge of the metal panel holding the water connections, pump switch, and work light switch.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem, and if so were you able to come up with a permanent cure?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:56 AM   #2

First of all a little background on what appears to be a continuing problem.

Last summer we had a problem with our black water tank. It started on a week long outing when we had a mobile sewer truck pump out the tanks. It seems the suction from their pump was more than the plumbing could handle. We found out the hard way that the vent pipe had disconnected from the black water tank. My assumption is that the suction partially collapsed the top of the tank allowing the vent pipe to disconnect.

When we arrived at home there was a foul smell and water dripping down the sides of the coach. After removing several access panels I found one end of the black water tank was no longer supported by the wedge shaped Styrofoam support block and vent pipe detached. At this point I called Winnebago to see if there were any other similar incidences reported, and if there was a known fix for the problem. I also inquired as to any upgrades on the tank installation that might prevent future problems. They were unaware of any similar problems, and assured me the tanks on the newer units were installed in a similar manner.

After several hours of cleaning and repositioning I was able to get the block repositioned under the tank and the pipe reattached. I tested everything for leaks and all seemed well. Once everything was back in its proper place I again called Winnebago to ask if newer models have additional brackets on the tanks to keep them from moving around. (Our tanks have brackets front and rear, and on the drivers side to prevent movement in those direction, but there are no brackets on the passengers side. Unfortunately the black tank support block worked itself out in the only direction there were no brackets.) Again I was told tanks in the newer models were installed in a similar manner.

All was well through the summer and fall months, but after returning from a 3,000 mile round trip to Florida it appears the tanks are starting to shift once again. This time the tanks appear to have shifted slightly forward. There are no leaks but the grey water drain valve is now about 1/4” farther forward and is difficult to open. It interferes with the edge of the metal panel holding the water connections, pump switch, and work light switch.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem, and if so were you able to come up with a permanent cure?
Old 12-28-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

I'm surprised this problem is so unusual that no one else has had the misfortune to experience it. I'll have to talk to the people at Winnebago again Monday to see if there's been anyone else in for service with anything similar.

It looks like we may be the ones to break new ground in this area.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is there any place to put a strap or two?
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote