Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2021, 06:08 PM   #1

Gun turret, not!

K, I am trying to locate a minor very sporadic minor leak in my 2005 Vectra 40KA. Drips from top of windshield onto dash. So far I have resealed all the clearance lights, front cap, windshields. Can anybody tell me what this device is on the roof? Is it missing a cover? Going crazy trying to find where the water is coming from...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211224_152822.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	352175  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2021, 06:34 PM   #2

Are you asking about the white cylindrical thing in the middle with vertical slots and a cover of sorts? I've never seen anything like that. To the left looks like a horn to me. Am I getting close, lol?
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:07 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
That looks like a wind sensor for a Dometic power awning.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you suspect it for leaking, put a plastic bag over it and tape it down before the next rain. I think it just might be a gun turret.
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 07:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
That looks like a wind sensor for a Dometic power awning.
What he said!

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:19 PM   #6

Gun Turret

Thanks all, I do have a Domestic awning with a wind sensor. Never knew the sensor was an actual wind speed? sensor. Assumed it was some kind of motion sensor on the awning.
The hunt continues. Sure was wishing somebody would have said it was missing a cover lol...
Old 12-25-2021, 09:37 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Mine had a leak coming from the nut covering the center fastener holding the Weinguard Sat dish on. From there the water can run anywhere.
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:33 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you resealed the clearance lights, did you go all the way around them?

I had a leak on my '04 that drove me nuts as it was intermittent like yours, in the same area. To shorten a long story of searching, sealing etc... my clearance lights sit in a recess. When the coach was level or slightly lower in the front, the water above the lights ran down the front of the coach, and no leak. However, if the front of the coach was higher than the rear of the coach, the water pooled in the recess, and I had a leak at the bottom of one of the clearance lights. Not found until I physically removed the light, cleaned the opening, and replace rusted light (metal mounting disc on back of the light) with a new light and sealed everything.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Gun turret, not!

I had a leak such as yours which dripped on the dash. It turned out to be water leaking past the windshield gasket.

I put a strip of 2” wide electrical tape over the gasket and top of the front cap which completely sealed any water from running into the tiny crack. The tape isn’t even visible unless I tell you what to look for, as the gasket is black also. Only about .5” of tape overlaps the fiberglass.

I first went the route of resealing the marker lights, and when that didn’t fix it, spraying water with a hose clearly showed the area which leaked.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Gun turret, not!

The cylinder is the wind sensor and needs to be open like it looks or so I understand. Provided you want it to work.
I also had issues, on my Winnie most of which were the lights. It was a pain to get a good seal. I also had what I believe were micro cracks in the fiberglass flat roof. The part that slopes forward just past the horn mounts . I clear coated it and didn’t have anymore leaks. Go figure
Old 12-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #11

might be windshield seal

You might check this other thread, there is a useful video in one post about the way Winnebago does their windshields. I have had sporadic water on my dash also, as well as rusty metal flakes sprinkling down on the dash. I think the problem in the video is what mine has, which is a 2005 Adventurer 35A.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/win...ot-565332.html
Old 12-28-2021, 10:46 PM   #12

answers

Thanks all for the input. It's decided to do something here that is far from normal! Minus 5C and snow! Will have to wait for better temps before I explore further.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:19 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Also had a WS leak on 2010 Journey. Removed the rubber trim piece at top of WS and used a water hose to slowly go across top of frame - found leaks at holes where trim piece attachment screws penetrate the frame (at ends of trim piece)
Skip Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 04:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farklepilot View Post
K, I am trying to locate a minor very sporadic minor leak in my 2005 Vectra 40KA. Drips from top of windshield onto dash. So far I have resealed all the clearance lights, front cap, windshields. Can anybody tell me what this device is on the roof? Is it missing a cover? Going crazy trying to find where the water is coming from...
The "gun torrent" is the wind sensor for you awning, which in all realty no longer works. Toss that, put a decent patch on. That ellinates the. Our 04 Vectra was leaking around the airhorn.
stuh10111 is offline   Reply With Quote