Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #1

We just returned from a short 5 day trip only to find that water had dampened several things under the sink. I found out that I had a slow drip from the P-trap when the sink was in use. I hand tightened the trap and checked the bathroom sink P-trap, it was loose also. I criss-crossed the joints with black Gorilla Tape. Hopefully the tape will prevent the joints from viberating loose.

Check your P-traps and I'll bet you'll be able to hand tighten them up.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #2

We just returned from a short 5 day trip only to find that water had dampened several things under the sink. I found out that I had a slow drip from the P-trap when the sink was in use. I hand tightened the trap and checked the bathroom sink P-trap, it was loose also. I criss-crossed the joints with black Gorilla Tape. Hopefully the tape will prevent the joints from viberating loose.

Check your P-traps and I'll bet you'll be able to hand tighten them up.
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Gary, You are so right, this summer the same thing for me on the kitchen sink. I hand tightened it back, however I did not use any tape to keep it that way. A good tip.
I did not check the bathroom, but I will now.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Good maintenance check tip Gary.

At my campground we have 39 Park Models and cabins for rent. Being in Buffalo and winterizing all these units we have to tighten P-traps every spring. This obviously isn't from vibration as we have no earthquakes in this part of the country.

What I've learned is that temperature change for those of us that actually HAVE to winterize can also cause P-traps to loosen.

In my coach, I have had loosening due to vibration and winter storage. Haven't really done anything about it as I'd like to make it easy to remove the traps for clogs.
JavaJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 05:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the post, it is a good reminder. Would teflon tape on the threads help to prevent the problem in the future?
Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

Teflon tape would probaly make the problem worse. Teflons main purpose is to make the treads turn more easily.

Space Coast, FL
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote