Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Having trouble locating microwave for 2003 Brave

Our recently purchased 2003 Brave's microwave has not worked since we got it on August 15th. The unit sits at the dealer and we pick it up from there when we want to use it for a few days while they seem to be stymied on how to fix this problem.
Apparently they have been unable to fix it, can't find new parts to replace what doesn't work, and now claim to be having a problem finding a new microwave to replace the one in there.
So now we sit with a hole over our range, and because the microwave had a built in exhaust fan, we are without a fan too.
I have looked up the model (Samsung MK6699GB) and it was recalled in 2003. Hard to believe the previous owner would never have had it replaced, as the recall was a safety issue with it possibly starting by itself and catching fire.
Anyway, the big problem seems to be that the new ones are wider by about 4 or 5 inches (ours is about 24 inches or so) and it won't fit in the existing space.
Help - anyone - any ideas?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

What is the cut out space?
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Here is one that should fit, although I would suspect you could use a larger one

Small RV Microwave 12.626" H x 19" W trim size
Old 09-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

How about replacing the missing micro with a smaller one, like the size of the ones for college dorm rooms?
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Here are the specs, you will have to start looking on line for one that is the same size or just slightly smaller. Yours is an MR, not an MK.

MR6698WB / MR6699GB / MR6699SB
1.2cu.ft
10 power levels, including defrost
99 minutes, 99 seconds
120 VAC, 60 Hz
Power Consumption 1500 Watts
Power Output 900 Watts

Cavity Dimensions 14
3/4”(W) X 9 1/16”(H) X15 7/16”(D)

Cabinet dimensions 23 5/8”(W) X 15 15/32”(16 11/16”) (H) X 16 27/32”(D)

54.0 Lbs.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Here is a link to a place that has the replacment parts, It says they replace them either in or out of warranty. I do not know if it is still a good phone number.

NEI Samsung Microwave Recall
Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Samsung over the range microwave

Thanks for the replies. Yes Jim, those are pretty close to what our rough measurements were that we did the other day before leaving the rig at the dealers : Cabinet dimensions 23 5/8”(W) X 15 15/32”(16 11/16”) (H) X 16 27/32”(D

I can't seem to find an effective way to search by dimensions at all. When I search by the Model all I get are tons of links to the recall back in 2003.

I am really beginning to think that they don't make anything that size anymore that the fan and light can be run on 12 volt. If it wasn't for that, maybe I could find one to fit the hole. But we really need that exhaust fan too.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here is one by LG for small spaces, actually may need small spacers.

LG LMV1314B 1.3 Cu. Ft. Compact Over-the-Range Microwave with 900 Cooking Watts & 4 Auto Cook Options: Black

and the manual

http://www.lge.com/us/support/produc...roduct-profile#

Made for you and inexpensive as well, no tax, no freight!
Old 09-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Bigenna, Just an FYI. We bought a 2003 Brave in 2006, microwave worked fine. The recall was later, I'm guessing 2007, at least when we found out about it. The manufacturer said they would fix it or give us $100 to buy another one. We knew it would be hard to fit a different micro in the spot with a light and fan so we opted to have it fixed. They put a new circuit board in. Linda
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Thanks Jim Actually that LG microwave sounds perfect, but I don't think the fan runs on battery for when we are dry camping. Maybe that is not a big deal - just that we would have no exhaust fan then if we are using the stove below.

Linda, did you go through Winnebago itself to get it fixed or through the dealer that you bought your unit from? We are in Canada and seem to be getting a long drawn out tale from our dealer about the subject so I am trying to find out the "straight goods" myself.

Thanks again,
Anne
Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post
Thanks Jim Actually that LG microwave sounds perfect, but I don't think the fan runs on battery for when we are dry camping. Maybe that is not a big deal - just that we would have no exhaust fan then if we are using the stove below.

Linda, did you go through Winnebago itself to get it fixed or through the dealer that you bought your unit from? We are in Canada and seem to be getting a long drawn out tale from our dealer about the subject so I am trying to find out the "straight goods" myself.

Thanks again,
Anne
Does it actually have an exhaust port to the outside, or is it only filtering thru a charcoal filter? The LG specifications indicate it filters and exhausts thru the front.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigenna View Post

Thanks again,
Anne

The Microwave plugs into an outlet that is run off the inverter, the inverter takes the 12 volt from the house batteries and converts it to 110 volt for the plug. The fan runs off of the power for the 110 plug, it will work without a problem.

Jim
Old 09-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Give Samsung a call, last year they sent me $200.00 . Denny
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Update on microwave woes

Well I finally took things in my own hands and within a 24 hour period, emailed Winnebago industries and they advised me to contact Samsung with the recall number, which I did. They asked me where I lived and looked up a local repair shop and sent a service contract there (with a copy to me). I have called the local shop and they indicated that, yes, indeed they have fixed many under that recall in the past - just get the microwave in and they would get the part from Samsung.
That was on Friday last week.
So I have called the dealer where my Brave "lives", supplied them with all the details and they are to get it to the repair shop today. The dealer seemed a little shell shocked with how I managed to track all of this down when the repairman they sent it to told them no parts were even available. They have had the motorhome for about a month.

I understand from the local repair place that it may take a week or two to get the part and have it fixed. But I tell you, this whole thing has really given me a wake up call about the poor after sale service from dealers.

We have also cancelled the extended warranty we were talked into purchasing with the motorhome. I figure once these places get their money they quickly lose interest in customer goodwill.

Anyway, hopefully I will be able to post back here in a couple of weeks with good news. Just in time for us to store our "new" Brave for the season.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Anyone here ever removed one of these microwaves. I have the same model number with a bad turntable motor. I can get a new motor for about $15.00 but can't see how to remove the micro to do the install.
bigenna, please let me know how it goes with the service center. I may consider that route. $15.00 vs the $400 I see for a new micro seems good to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Success!!!

Well, we finally got our Brave home yesterday. What a long haul this has been, but the microwave is installed again and seems to be working as it should be.
What I have learned from this whole experience :
1) Do not take no for an answer - even if someone tells you that it cannot be done
2) Do all the research you can yourself - do not wait for a repair shop to find the solution for you.
3) And most of all - ask the folks on this forum for help.

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. It was what really caused me to carry through on this.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:52 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

micro

i own a 2003 brave we relaced our micro with a magic chef andit fits fine and work great if you want you can email me and i will get the model mumber for you. hullview@earth link.net
hullview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

I too am having trouble locating a microwave that fits my 2001 Winnebago Brave. The dimensions are 21.75 (length) x 16.25 (depth) x 11.5 (height) inches. I've been searching and searching but can't find an easy way to search via dimensions :(
BigBetsy is offline   Reply With Quote