Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2014, 07:20 PM   #1

Heater Problems In Dash Heater

Having trouble getting heat to front of motor home.was told that it was hydraulic fan solenoid,anybody have any ideas
Mbsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2014, 07:08 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbsutton View Post
Having trouble getting heat to front of motor home.was told that it was hydraulic fan solenoid,anybody have any ideas
Welcome to iRV2.

I am not a diesel mechanic but I do have some thoughts. Generally a thermostat controls the engine temperature. The fan kicks in when temperatures exceeds the high temperature setting. My first guess is you may have a heater control problem. I had a similar problem and I found a crack in the vacuum hose to the water control valve. Good luck and please post your findings as we all learn from each other.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:59 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 2013 Itasca Meridian 42. I have found that I don't get heat once the temperature really gets cold. I called Freightliner on this, and they indicated that what I was describing was NORMAL (really???), as the engine wasn't really working very hard (fully loaded going down the road). Had the mechanics check it out anyway, and they confirmed it was fine.

Friday morning, I had to take it to the shop, and outside air temp was 51 degrees. The unit has a 180 degree thermostat on the engine, but on the highway, I found the engine temp to vary between 176 and 184. In general, this unit doesn't really start throwing heat (like in your car) till it gets up to around 195. And it just doesn't seem to get there in the winter.

You didn't mention your specifics (model, etc.), but that's what we've seen in our unit.

Cliff
Old 10-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbsutton View Post

It would help to know if we're talking diesel pusher, Ford, etc. You can put information about your RV in your signature line, accessed through 'User CP" on blue/green bar at upper left on page.

In general, make sure the heater coolant control valve is opening fully. It also helps to put dash control on "Recirculate" so you're only heating cabin air instead of outside air. If it's still too cold, you can do as truck and bus drivers do, put cardboard on the radiator to raise coolant temperature. Also, it's O.K. to use the furnace to heat the interior while in motion.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote