Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #15

Dogstar, do this simple test,,, Start the engine, let it warm up. Once it's at operating temperature, put your foot hard on the brake, (use Emergency brake too), now drop it into forward gear and while holding the brake step on the gas and quickly bring up the rpm's and load the engine hard for a few seconds, notice what the engine dose under heavy load, dose it bog down or dose it stumble and want to die. Don't keep doing it, just a couple times will give you some good information.

CLIFFORD
BTW, what city are you in. Are you out the M4
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2021, 02:27 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I found the original Winnebago Brave brochure here:
https://www.rvroundtable.com/rvbroch...rave-brochure/

The Winnebago Brave Chevrolet chassis has an option for the 6.2L Chevy diesel engine.
I used to own a Chevy truck with this engine.
My first advice would be to change the engine fuel filters. With a caution that some/most of these have two fuel filters. They have the large one with the water drain and a smaller one on top of the intake manifold. There are some YouTube videos on how to change them.
I hope this helps!
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #17

A cold diesel pushes out white smoke because its not burning it properly.

A diesel starving for fuel will do the same thing.
Plugged fuel filters restrict fuel. Engines need more fuel under load the idling.

A fuel filter change will be a cheap job and if that's what you ask for, that's all they will charge you for.

After the filter change take a road test, if its still acting up, then you will need to get some expensive troubleshooting.

In 35 years of diesel experience, its almost always the fuel filter.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

Plugged fuel filters restrict fuel. Engines need more fuel under load the idling.

A fuel filter change will be a cheap job and if that's what you ask for, that's all they will charge you for.

After the filter change take a road test, if its still acting up, then you will need to get some expensive troubleshooting.

Good info. I hope it is this and not the head gasket.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:42 AM   #19

thank you

i know personally, i've changed the transmission filter ... the guy who used to work on this said he'd changed oil filter but i don't know which one or if indeed he did as he said ! but i'll look into it .. i have so much to learn and no good mechanic to help ! but thanks for your input

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Have you tried changing all filters to make sure you aren't starving it for fuel or air ?

If not an engine problem, have you tried manually shifting the gears to see if a little longer or shorter in the lower gear would be a temporary stopgap ? good luck
iamdogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:44 AM   #20

thank you

thank you kindly
i'll look into getting the fuel filter changed
i changed the filter in the transmission pan

thanks for taking time to give your insights

Quote:

Old 02-26-2021, 04:02 AM   #21

hey Clifford

thanks for this Clifford - i will try this test .......

I'm in Liverpool, Near M57 / M58 ... close to M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford j View Post
Dogstar, do this simple test,,, Start the engine, let it warm up. Once it's at operating temperature, put your foot hard on the brake, (use Emergency brake too), now drop it into forward gear and while holding the brake step on the gas and quickly bring up the rpm's and load the engine hard for a few seconds, notice what the engine dose under heavy load, dose it bog down or dose it stumble and want to die. Don't keep doing it, just a couple times will give you some good information.

CLIFFORD
Old 02-26-2021, 04:05 AM   #22

Vito a !!

thank you so much
i will go seek out the YouTube videos

I have an oil filter here for the engine so i hope i can change this myself !!

appreciate your time to respond taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I found the original Winnebago Brave brochure here:
https://www.rvroundtable.com/rvbroch...rave-brochure/

The Winnebago Brave Chevrolet chassis has an option for the 6.2L Chevy diesel engine.
I used to own a Chevy truck with this engine.
My first advice would be to change the engine fuel filters. With a caution that some/most of these have two fuel filters. They have the large one with the water drain and a smaller one on top of the intake manifold. There are some YouTube videos on how to change them.
I hope this helps!
Old 02-26-2021, 04:41 AM   #23

Done this test

Hey Clifford,

okay so i just done this test and the engine didn't seem to get bogged down, stumble or want to die ... in fact it just wanted to move forward, could feel it wanting to jump into action ... couldn't see much smoke either ....

Quote:

CLIFFORD
Old 02-26-2021, 07:04 AM   #24

Its not any kind of test holding the throttle for a few seconds.

For it to prove anything, you need to hold it to the floor for longer then you would feel comfortable doing. At least 15 seconds for boost to build.
Old 02-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #25

yep

Quote:
Its not any kind of test holding the throttle for a few seconds.

For it to prove anything, you need to hold it to the floor for longer then you would feel comfortable doing. At least 15 seconds for boost to build.
Old 02-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #26

Good suggestion Twinboat. Dogstar, if you go about changing the "fuel Filters"
make sure you fill the new filters with diesel fuel before spinning them on.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Good suggestion Twinboat. Dogstar, if you go about changing the "fuel Filters"
make sure you fill the new filters with diesel fuel before spinning them on.

CLIFFORD
Some of the older 6.2 diesels don't use spin on filters. They take a square box type or element in a can.

You cant just fill them up, and the proper bleeding procedure needs to be followed.
Old 02-26-2021, 03:28 PM   #28

I don’t remember where you are with the maintenance. Have you changed the fuel and water filters for the fuel system? That’s the first thing to do. If it’s firing on all cylinders then your injectors are probably good. Do you have a lift pump? If you do then you need to make sure it’s working as well. That could be the whole issue.
2017 22K Bounder 415/6spd/5:38s
2018 F150 Lariat 502A 4X4 Toad & Tow Vehicle
2023 Rockwood GeoPro 20BHS
77Travco is offline   Reply With Quote