Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help! Looking at older Journey.

We are looking at a 2005 Journey 34H with a Cat 350hp diesel that only has 12,000 miles on it. The history is murky in that the broker claims not to know much about the coach. It may be a repo coach, we're not sure. All we have to go on so far are pictures and a couple of phone calls to the selling broker. The main reason we are looking at this coach is that we like the layout (but not the colors), it's a Winnebago and it's a diesel.

The coach has new tires (Michelens), it has supposedly been serviced recently (all fluids changed), from the pictures it appears to be very clean, and the internal electrical systems to be working. There are no visible body nicks and dings, but I'm not sure what to be on the lookout for with this coach Could there be a problem with a diesel engine that has only 12K miles in 5-6 years? It's possible that it has set for the past year. We know little to nothing about diesels and don't want to get in over our heads.

Any advice on what to beware of would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank and EJ
Currently 2004 Roadtrek 190P
fputnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In this economy it is probably a repo but that does not mean it is a bad coach. I would make the trip to see it before commiting and spend ALOT of time going over the coach and checking everything. Check close for leaks (I have never had a leak in a winnie) put water pressure on water lines, etc. If the price is right go for it.
slick60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Got a link?

And "older"? Uh oh, never thought of my '04 as older.

I guess it has begun...

Here's a 12,000 mile, 34H with new tires on ebay:

http://http://tinyurl.com/yadyge2

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:28 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Welcome to the forum. Many of us with the Journey/Meridian are very happy with them.

At one time the Journey was the top selling diesel coach so there are a bunch of them out there...in use and for sale. If you don't think this one might be the one for you, there are many others.

Check the underside for excessive rust....if it was a coach used in the northern states, that could be an issue. Check the dates on the tires to make sure they are new as advertised. Drive it, operate all the systems to make sure everything works.

That CAT diesel/Allison tranny combination is pretty bullit proof unless it was really abused or neglected. If you can, have a good diesel mechanic check it out.

Good luck with your search and if you get a Winny, come back and share the good news with us.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

You need to know that CAT is out of the on-road diesel business. They will support existing products but no new production. In my 06 I've never got better than 7.5 MPG pulling a jeep. Overall I love my 36G, can't wait for season to get going.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have the 34H Journey floorplan (2 coaches now) and love it. Not too big to fit into the State Parks.

Journey's are a great coach. The CAT C7 (or 3126) is an excellent engine. More torque than the equivalent Cummins. Don't be afraid of the fact that CAT does not manufacture OTR (over the road) engines any more. Has to do more with the emissions standards more than anything else.

A 2005 coach is not 'old' per my standards. It's gently used. Things to consider are tire age as mentioned above, batteries age, service records (time to service the Allison 3000), etc. Do your research on what has to be serviced, and 'just do it'.

Note: the new coaches are shipped with a lower torque engine and the lower spec Allison transmission. This combo is about as good as you're going to get for this size coach.

Also -- call Freightliner (1-800-FTL-HELP), give them the last 6 of the VIN of this coach, and ask them if they have any records on this coach.

My recommendations -- Go for it -- assuming you have done your homework.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I wouldn't be too concerned with the engine, as it's solid. There's a CAT engine motorhome forum on Yahoo groups, with tons of good info, as well as the Cat forum here. If you buy, take it to a dealer, or better yet, if you can go to Gaffney (Freightliner factory), and have the transmission fluid changed, engine oil and filter, and air filter replaced.

Nothing like starting out with fresh fluids and filters.

Good luck and enjoy.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

My '06 Journey is not 'older' and I hope has lots of life at 20,000 miles. Don't know where you live but highly recommend Gaffney, SC. I'll be there in 2-3 wks for M3. They do good work. I drive 1100 miles to get their good work. When you buy it, take it there for maintenance to put your mind at ease.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Older....2005? What do you consider a 1979....ancient? Shoot 2005 is pretty new to us.

Ken
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

There is nothing specific that was a problem on those coaches. The mileage is typical for a coach that was probably used on weekends and once or twice during the summer. I probably has not been used much in the past 18 months. I agree with everyone to just do your research and make sure all of the systems work properly before you sign any paper work. Two major items are the tire age and batteries. You can check the tire age and I would bet the batteries came with the coach in which case I would replace them in a heart beat. In my opinion that coach is seriously over engined. I had a 03 Horizon 36 with a 330 Cat and got 9.5 on all terrain while towing. With a 34/350 you can probaly pull a Hummer and not notice it. If you get this coach you can find all kinds of info on that model on this forum and others.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Dang it got away from us. Well it was 2,000 miles away from us and we couldn't get there to take a look at it quick enough. Glad for the owner, sad for us.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Keep looking. They're out there. I think the shorter diesels are great for getting into areas you can't with the longer units.

We do a lot of state park camping, and I've never had a problem with the 34' Journey getting into sites.

Happy hunting!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

DW ran our new to us through CarFax Free CARFAX Record Check before we committed. It is not always perfect but you will get a feel for where the vehicle has been. I think that if you pay for it and only run one check then find it to be useless or incorrrect they will refund your money. Check with them first. We ran a couple of our vehicles just to see what it said for later sales or trade in.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Wow. When I saw this thread "older Journey" I thought you would be looking at one like mine, a 2000 Journey 36G. I bought mine with 39K miles on it and after new tires and engine/generator full servicing, she's a good as new. Runs like a champ and seems very dependable and solid so far. We've put 2,000 miles on her in 4 months. I would love to own a 2005 or newer Journey. They are awesome coaches. My wife and I are in our 30's and this is our first "pusher". Maybe when we get in our 40's, we'll dedicate a little more money toward our RVing. With the house, boat, Tae Kwon Do lessons for my 7 yr old, concerts, football games and my wife's love for shopping, we'll have to wait and see. I may still be driving my 2000 Journey in 2015.

Keep looking. There are several Journey's out there. It's a great coach. Solid. Buying a repo in this economy would not scare me away. Times are tough for people and the first things people let go when they experience job loses are boats and RVs. That is why I was able to buy such a great coach in this economy. I got a great deal. $14k under book value. Hope you find a good one.
leedowney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I agree with the earlier threads and never would consider my 2004 Journey "older". It is a Cat powered 39W with 53,000 miles. It runs like the new ones and probably works better after 5 years of tinkering. It's my keeper.

Any Journey or Meridian is a solid choice in an "older" Winnebago.
DeanLinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Holy mackerel!! I didn't mean to offend anyone by calling a 2005 Winnebago older. I guess I got carried away after looking at so many new shiny RV's that I just assumed that you all would consider a 2005 to be old. To me it'll be "new" (if I ever find one) and that's what counts.

However, thanks for all the encouragement and we'll keep looking.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fputnam View Post
Holy mackerel!! I didn't mean to offend anyone by calling a 2005 Winnebago older. I guess I got carried away after looking at so many new shiny RV's that I just assumed that you all would consider a 2005 to be old. To me it'll be "new" (if I ever find one) and that's what counts.

However, thanks for all the encouragement and we'll keep looking.

We are just bustin' your chops . Like many here, my 2002 may be 8 yrs old but it runs like a top, rides and handles well, and I've also tinkered and tweaked so we can keep it for many more years.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I too feel the Journey is a great coach. There are plenty for sale. Be patient and just keep looking and you should have no problem finding a clean one. Good luck.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:48 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Look like my tinyurl link broke when the auction ended.

Here's the link to the ended auction:

WINNEBAGO JOURNEY 34H 2 SLD 350HP 12K MILE LCD TV'S : eBay Motors (item 230433502703 end time Feb-11-10 09:10:46 PST)

Looks like a very nice '04 34H. Very clean looking in the pictures.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

All the heavy hitters have weighed in so I'll add my two cents to the discussion...Best advice, Keep looking you will not be disappointed in a 05 Journey of whichever floor plan you like. Call Winnie, Cat, as well as Freightliner to see about what has happened to the coach. On my 4th Winnie and they have all been good. The 05 Journey w/3 slides is a very very liveable unit and leaves little to be desired..The folks that responded know of what they speak. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote