Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2023, 08:26 PM   #1

Help running 120v to Res. Refrig on superslide

Need help installing separate 1000W Inverter for Residential Refigerator

The basics:
Winnebago 2011 Journey Express 34Y
RV Refig. replaced with Samsung RF-18 by previous owner.
The Refig. is on the drivers side super slide (long slide).

The Samsung RR Kicks the GFCI, when running on the original Modified Sine Wave Inverter. I bought a "1000 watt" Roarbatt Pure sine Wave Inverter. It's inexpensive, but shows a nice sine wave and works well with the Refrig. I wanted to only connect the refig. to it. With Kill A Watt, maximum draw is only about 175watts, later it drops to 60 watts, then cycles off for a while.
Refrig. temp dropped to 34°F and freezer to -2°F in 2-3 hours. Happy with that on a test hookup.

The Problem -
The refrig is on the super slide and the batteries are not!
I can easily install the Inverter in the electrical bay (basement), but don't know how to get the 120v line up into the slide. The older models had the electrical wiring in a folding channel, next to the big slide supports. This 2011 does not have that. I could not find any wiring at all underneath the slide. I guess that they have run it all from the center of the chassis. I'll have to go under to search.

Does anyone have any knowledge of the way to get the 120v line from the new inverter to the slide and the refrig? My other option is to pay much more to replace the original 1000w "modified sine wave" inverter. Actually, almost exactly "square wave" as shown on my graphical volt meter. The new inverter does not have a 120v shore line pass through, so can't replace the original inverter. I'd need a higher end model.

Thanks,
Richard (no more "Skyking" stuff) I'm too old and it's too expensive.
skyking421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2023, 09:01 PM   #2

Richard-

The "Body, 110 Volt Wiring Diagram" for the 2011 Journey 34Y is at this link. By the diagram, zone D-2, it appears the place to intercept the refrigerator wiring is under the bed.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:04 PM   #3

You really should have a passthrough or transfer switch. Xantrex makes a 1500 watt separate switch for 75$. No dropout when switching.
I believe my slide has the electricals in a pvc pipe that goes in and out with the slide.
Old 06-06-2023, 11:09 AM   #4

on my 2001 Itasca there is a 120 VAC receptacle in the back of my Norcold Refrigerator. This is on a separate AC circuit breaker ( my batteries and distribution box is on the passenger side of my MH ). Check to see if there is a breaker marked Refrigerator. Maybe the PO didn't use the original ac receptacle when he made the switch. If the breaker is there, find out where the output receptacle is. ANd if you can find those 2 things you might get lucky and be able to remove the connection to the breaker and use the wire to connect to your new inverter. My Norcold works on propane or AC but not 12 VDC. It does require 12 VDC to run thou.
kwftlaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 03:45 PM   #5

Thanks to all of you:
"kwftlaud"
"shootist"
and "Mark"

I like the idea of tying into the breaker for the refigerator circuit. If it is a refig only breaker on this 2011, I would like to do it that way. Separating it from Winnebago breaker box may be an issue. It may need a completely separate breaker or fuse, in that fusebox area.

Right now, I'm in Pigeon Forge, TN on a shakedown run and found out the Splendide W/D will not spin. Have to test the motor. UGH! What's next?

I'll get it worked out. My dear wife bought a plaque saying "If Grandpa can't fix it, it can't be fixed."

All the best,
Richard
Old 06-19-2023, 04:13 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking421 View Post
Thanks to all of you:
"kwftlaud"
"shootist"
and "Mark"

I like the idea of tying into the breaker for the refigerator circuit. If it is a refig only breaker on this 2011, I would like to do it that way. Separating it from Winnebago breaker box may be an issue. It may need a completely separate breaker or fuse, in that fusebox area.

Right now, I'm in Pigeon Forge, TN on a shakedown run and found out the Splendide W/D will not spin. Have to test the motor. UGH! What's next?

I'll get it worked out. My dear wife bought a plaque saying "If Grandpa can't fix it, it can't be fixed."

All the best,
Richard
Richard, the first thing I would do for your coach is get rid of the MSW inverter and put in a pure sine wave inverter. Your refrigerator problem should go away.
About the W/D problem. Call the number on the tag on the machine. These folks are very good about helping and will give you step by step instructions for troubleshooting.
Happy trails.
Rick
Old 06-20-2023, 07:24 AM   #7

Thanks Rick,
I did find the "TV" inverter line and connected the Refig to it. It works well with one caveat. Refrig cools great while driving and uses 120v "pass through" when on shore power or generator power. The one problem now is that the inverter can overheat in that closed electronics bay and it beeps when it shuts off. It only happened in Florida when outside temps reached 90°F. Refrig only uses 60 to 180 watts of the 1000watt inverter, so it's quite easily overheated. It doesn't have a ventilation fan. I'll hook something up.

Now, a bigger problem is getting the dash a/c condenser fan to work. No power to it now. Ugh!
Richard
Old 06-21-2023, 05:39 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks Rick,
I did find the "TV" inverter line and connected the Refig to it. It works well with one caveat. Refrig cools great while driving and uses 120v "pass through" when on shore power or generator power. The one problem now is that the inverter can overheat in that closed electronics bay and it beeps when it shuts off. It only happened in Florida when outside temps reached 90°F. Refrig only uses 60 to 180 watts of the 1000watt inverter, so it's quite easily overheated. It doesn't have a ventilation fan. I'll hook something up.

Now, a bigger problem is getting the dash a/c condenser fan to work. No power to it now. Ugh!
Richard
"closed electronics bay"? Possibly is this the power bay? I don't follow you here Richard. I see, from the wiring diagram, your inverter is in the bay under the coach near the left rear. What brand inverter do you have? A PSW inverter may run cooler because they are so much more efficient. Magnum makes a great inverter. This could be a good replacement: https://www.donrowe.com/Magnum-Energ...-p/mms1012.htm
I have bought from these folks. I highly recommend them.
When parked in FL does it help if you open the bay door a crack?
Hope you get the dash fan to work soon.
Blessings,

Rick
Old 06-22-2023, 07:07 AM   #9

Rick,
Yes, I guess it's called the power bay. I wanted to stick with the original Xantrex 1000w MSW inverter, because of the small inverter control panel already installed in the coach.
This inverter has the 110v "pass though", making the switch to gen power or shore power easy. I only need the inverter to run the refig while driving and it does a good job there, except for occasional over temp shutoff. Any other time it's on shore power, although I may need to use the gen for a/c, because of the condenser fan issue.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:35 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Rick,
Yes, I guess it's called the power bay. I wanted to stick with the original Xantrex 1000w MSW inverter, because of the small inverter control panel already installed in the coach.
This inverter has the 110v "pass though", making the switch to gen power or shore power easy. I only need the inverter to run the refig while driving and it does a good job there, except for occasional over temp shutoff. Any other time it's on shore power, although I may need to use the gen for a/c, because of the condenser fan issue.
The link I posted is of a small inverter. My experience with Xantrex and MSW inverters is not pleasant. When I had a failure years ago the support was poor. The MSW inverter output is not motor friendly for another point. The available working (functional) power from a MSW inverter is reduced as compared to the PSW inverters.

From DonRowe, the is Xantrex inverter would be a better choice, in my opinion, over what you now have: https://www.donrowe.com/xantrex-806-...p/806-1212.htm

Please head my concern for your best camping experience where the inverter is concerned. Dump the MSW unit. Go with any PSW inverter. The worst one would give you better power than the MSW type.

I base my opinion on first had experience and my studies as a kid for my associates in electronics.

Happy trails.
Rick

Tags
slide