Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #1

I have what appears to be the 'Oil Can' symbol showing on my rear video screen. I have found info in the Trip Tek manual (pretty useless) that says if an error code is present it will show either an oil can or a wrench on the screen. I also get the maintenance flashing on the initial checklist at startup. The particulars are:

2005 Journey 39 K
Freightliner & CAT 350
5,7?? miles

The oil in both the CAT and the genset is fine. There are no codes stored in the tranny (3000MH). The symbol appeared mysteriously around 5000 miles as we travelled to Hatteras last week. I am suspicious that it may be linked to the 5000 mi. tranny service which I had completed at 4,7?? miles in preperation for the trip. It would make sense if there were such a code as they could not have reset it since the event had not yet occurred. Also, the Trip Tek manual says to look this up in the owners manual?

Does anyone know if this is the case and, how can I confirm that this is the event causing the error symbol?

I would very much appreciate a reference to any of the manuals as I have been through the Journey owners manual, Freightliner chassis manual and the Allison Manual, all to no avail.

Thanks very much,

Russ

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 AM   #2

I have what appears to be the 'Oil Can' symbol showing on my rear video screen. I have found info in the Trip Tek manual (pretty useless) that says if an error code is present it will show either an oil can or a wrench on the screen. I also get the maintenance flashing on the initial checklist at startup. The particulars are:

2005 Journey 39 K
Freightliner & CAT 350
5,7?? miles

The oil in both the CAT and the genset is fine. There are no codes stored in the tranny (3000MH). The symbol appeared mysteriously around 5000 miles as we travelled to Hatteras last week. I am suspicious that it may be linked to the 5000 mi. tranny service which I had completed at 4,7?? miles in preperation for the trip. It would make sense if there were such a code as they could not have reset it since the event had not yet occurred. Also, the Trip Tek manual says to look this up in the owners manual?

Does anyone know if this is the case and, how can I confirm that this is the event causing the error symbol?

I would very much appreciate a reference to any of the manuals as I have been through the Journey owners manual, Freightliner chassis manual and the Allison Manual, all to no avail.

Thanks very much,

Russ

Old 05-29-2005, 11:16 PM   #3

Hmmmmmmmm don't know about the oil can symbol but the wrench is telling you that you need some type of service. When you have service done you are susposed to reset the miles for that service on the service screen so that it can remind you when you hit that mileage.
I too had service done before the milage time and got the wrench flashing. Reset the milage and all is well. The instructions for doing this is in the Trip-Tek manual.Hope this helps, Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 03:28 AM   #4

Could be maintenance due on the generator. A friend I was traveling with was in a panic one morning due to the same thing you are seeing. Turned out his generator had turned over 50 hours and was due an oil change.

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 07:34 AM   #5

Trip tek will show an oil can if your coach or generator need an oil change. You must reset the trip tek each time you service the coach otherwise you will get a false indicator.
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 08:11 AM   #6

Thanks all for the input! Turns out it was the maintenance due on the transmission. The oilcan showed as the screen lists it as an oil change. I was able to reset per ichn2go's instructions. I figured it was that all along but was afraid to reset as if I was wrong I would be destroying the real code and might not be able to recover it.

Feeling better now that all is 'right with the MH'.

Have a safe holiday,

Russ