Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #71

Forest River Owners Club
I use here in the U. S. A a spraying that is called gasket tack. Don't know what it would be called over there. You should be able to buy it at any good parts house.
SeaBreazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2021, 04:48 PM   #72

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdogstar View Post
it's a diesel engine
possibly no catalytic converter in this old girl
Old detroit motor we're almost indistrucable. Just always check the oil before you start it. They were oil leakers. As the saying goes if a detroit is leaking oil from the seals it is not running. ��
Old 01-14-2021, 04:53 PM   #73

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamdogstar View Post
cheers 77Travco
Yep, i'm learning more and more every single day ...
and was possibly 'my stupid error' in the first instance for even saying 'spark plugs' ... i should know better that a diesel doesn't have 'sparks' ... but 'glow plugs' ... i've not yet attempted that side of things as I have focused on one project at a time and i'm currently in the changing of transmission filter and fluid ...

i've just bought 'fuel injector' for diesel tank (purportedly it will help clean things up) ... i've also bought an additive for the transmission fluid which supposedly will help

the oil that came out was real dark n dirty - i know i haven't had the transmission fuel / filter changed in the six years i've owned this BRAVE and i'm pretty sure the guy before wouldn't have been up on the maintenance - so it is long long overdue .....

i'm much more hopeful and confident now than at the start of the process ... i've learned loads from all you great people taking the time and effort to help and support me

BIG thank yous
The only time you would have to change the glow plugs on a diesel is if you are having trouble starting the motor. The glow plugs are only used in warming the cylinders up a little to fire the diesel. They are for nothing else other than that. A diesel works off of the heat created by compression from the cylinders.
Old 01-14-2021, 05:38 PM   #74

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
iamdogstar,

If you have an ohmeter, and are used to using it, you can check the glow plugs one at a time after you pull the wires off.

If they all have the same resistance, leave them alone, they are fine.

If you find one or 2 with no resistance, they are bad and need replacing.

Is the white smoke only when it's cold? That would mean it's raw fuel, and might just be a bad glow pug or 2.

How many kilometers do you normally put on it in say a month? They like to be run, not sitting around.

Keep at it, you will learn as you go.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:54 PM   #75

I chock the rear wheels, then I jack up my old ford gasser bounder, then remove a front wheel and tire. Use a jack stand under the frame. The plugs are under the gray/black wire boots. Finish one side, Then do the other side. GM firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Plug gap is .030 inches. Do not over tighten plugs. “The difficult I can do immediately, the impossible may take all day. “
Rixthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:22 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixthe1 View Post
I chock the rear wheels, then I jack up my old ford gasser bounder, then remove a front wheel and tire. Use a jack stand under the frame. The plugs are under the gray/black wire boots. Finish one side, Then do the other side. GM firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. Plug gap is .030 inches. Do not over tighten plugs. “The difficult I can do immediately, the impossible may take all day. “
Read the dang thread...she has a diesel.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #77

In order to clean and lubricate the injector pump on those old diesels I would normally recommend filling the fuel filter with Dexron I or II transmission fluid and none higher due to it having a close enough Cetain Rating to run the engine while being a high detergent lubricating oil however as they are phasing out Dexron I and II they are combining it with Mercon selling it as a Universal Dexron I/II and Mercon replacement transmission fluid which I am not 100% confident about the friction modifiers on. Now I am inclined to recommend that at every engine oil change you pull the diesel fuel filter, drain it and then refill it with Marvel Mystery oil to clean and lubricate the injector pump. The white smoke on a diesel is often a sign that the flow of diesel fuel is being restricted and the engine is running lean so before adjusting the smoke valve its best to add some Mystery Oil to the Fuel Filter to better ensure that the injector pump is clean and lubricated. It may take a good long drive to see results and this may need to be repeated a few times since this maintenance has not been done in a very long time. If there is a condensate drain on the fuel filter you would also want to crack it open on occasion to ensure there is no water building up in the bottom of it.

White smoke and not able to go over 40 mph on a diesel would be two signs that this service is long overdue.

You really do not want to find out the hard way what it costs to rebuild and injector pump on those older diesels and a little preventative maintenance can keep that from happening for a very long time.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #78

Nice One !

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBreazer View Post
Old detroit motor we're almost indistrucable. Just always check the oil before you start it. They were oil leakers. As the saying goes if a detroit is leaking oil from the seals it is not running. ��

cheers for that Seabreazer ! i'm learning more n more about my girl every day ....

iamdogstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:32 AM   #79

Quote:
The only time you would have to change the glow plugs on a diesel is if you are having trouble starting the motor. The glow plugs are only used in warming the cylinders up a little to fire the diesel. They are for nothing else other than that. A diesel works off of the heat created by compression from the cylinders.

lovely jubbly ! thank you
Old 01-15-2021, 07:34 AM   #80

Brilliant - Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
In order to clean and lubricate the injector pump on those old diesels I would normally recommend filling the fuel filter with Dexron I or II transmission fluid and none higher due to it having a close enough Cetain Rating to run the engine while being a high detergent lubricating oil however as they are phasing out Dexron I and II they are combining it with Mercon selling it as a Universal Dexron I/II and Mercon replacement transmission fluid which I am not 100% confident about the friction modifiers on. Now I am inclined to recommend that at every engine oil change you pull the diesel fuel filter, drain it and then refill it with Marvel Mystery oil to clean and lubricate the injector pump. The white smoke on a diesel is often a sign that the flow of diesel fuel is being restricted and the engine is running lean so before adjusting the smoke valve its best to add some Mystery Oil to the Fuel Filter to better ensure that the injector pump is clean and lubricated. It may take a good long drive to see results and this may need to be repeated a few times since this maintenance has not been done in a very long time. If there is a condensate drain on the fuel filter you would also want to crack it open on occasion to ensure there is no water building up in the bottom of it.

White smoke and not able to go over 40 mph on a diesel would be two signs that this service is long overdue.

You really do not want to find out the hard way what it costs to rebuild and injector pump on those older diesels and a little preventative maintenance can keep that from happening for a very long time.

Cheers Neil - appreciate your time in responding and giving vital information ...
Old 01-15-2021, 07:37 AM   #81

Cheers Unplanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
iamdogstar,

If you have an ohmeter, and are used to using it, you can check the glow plugs one at a time after you pull the wires off.

If they all have the same resistance, leave them alone, they are fine.

If you find one or 2 with no resistance, they are bad and need replacing.

Is the white smoke only when it's cold? That would mean it's raw fuel, and might just be a bad glow pug or 2.

How many kilometers do you normally put on it in say a month? They like to be run, not sitting around.

Keep at it, you will learn as you go.

i'll look into the Ohmeter stuff !! yep, i like to make use of her on a regular basis as i know she prefers running to sitting around idle ... i'm still awaiting Filter and Gasket for the transmission pan - got everything else at the ready .. i'm going to put her back together and follow all the advice i've found here for filling the fluid etc etc .... i'm learning loads and it's great - my confidence in looking after her maintenance myself now is growing !! cheers
Old 01-15-2021, 07:39 AM   #82

haha - cheers for the good intention !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountry_star View Post
Boy am I glad I read through this before posting my genius reply on the replacement of plugs / wire issues etc. etc. on the 454!!! I'll shut up now.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #83

cheers much for your input
so helpful
and i'm grateful for everyone's efforts here in this thread .....
Old 01-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #84

Quote:

I would sure not classify the Chevy 6.2 liter diesel as a Detroit Diesel/oil leaker. Those terms would suggest a DD two stroke engine-- NOT.

The 6.2 liter Chevy diesel is strictly a light duty diesel engine.