Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Tech | Toys and Gear
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Help with the Tv and Surround Sound

We have a 2006 Itasca Meridian 36G. Will the surround sound work if just the TV is on? I can get it to work fine thru the DVD player when watching a movie but if just the TV is on it comes thru the tv speakers.

This RV is new to us and we replaced the DVD player as we couldn't get a picture during a dvd. Before we replaced the unit, surround sound thru the tv wasn't working. We just wonder if it is supposed to?
WhenIm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 06:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You didn't say how the TV is connected to the sound system. If the video signal is coming to the TV through an antenna or cable connection then it is bringing the audio with it and somehow it has to get back to the sound system. Do you have the "audio output" jack on the TV connected to the sound system? On my TV there is an audio output optical fiber jack which I have connected to a TV audio input on the sound system.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have the same coach. Yes, it is a little tricky, but set the DVD to the channel that the TV is using. Also, the source for the DVD should be the same as the TV, ie "cable", "satellite", "antenna"....crank the volume up a bit, and you will know when you have it right. Its a good system, once you figure it out. I enjoy Directv music on the system. Send me a PM if you still have problems.

Dave
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 11:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffster View Post
Yes, it is a little tricky, but set the DVD to the channel that the TV is using. Also, the source for the DVD should be the same as the TV, ie "cable", "satellite", "antenna
He said he replaced the DVD player... Newer DVD and Blueray players do not have an antenna input and the Cable or Satellite connection probably does not go through the DVD player as it has no antenna connection.

As docj stated, you need to send the audio from the TV to the DVD player. Most newer DVD/Blueray players have at least one audio input and could have multiple. Some TVs do have digital audio out but if not it should have analog audio out which will be a red and a white RCA connector on the back of the TV. If you hook audio out to the DVD/Blueray player you most likely will have to select AUX IN on the DVD/Blueray to hear the audio.

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I had a problem with something video/audio related on my TV too, At this time I forget what it was but I do recall the problem.

On the back of my TV, as it turns out very easily accessed (I will tell you how) there are a whole bunch of A/V connectors, Line in, Line out, audio video several lines in fact (A/V 1-2-3)

Turns out one of the cables was plugged in the wrong jack.

Now, to look at it from the "Viewer" position you'd think you would have to wrestle the TV out of it's cabinet to fix a problem like this but turns out to be way easier, at lest on my rig,, I've read of others where it was a bit like this.

On the back of the cabinet (I sat on the dash and stuck my head up between windshield and cabinet) was a ventelation grill, Half a dozen or so screws later it was resting on the dash beside me and I was moving the cable to the proper jack.

Some general info:

For the TV to feed the surround sound system

1: The TV has to have a/v output (At least audio out) usually this should be pre-amp out and will feed the house radio/surround system amplifier.

2: The amplifier has to have an input for the TV's audio, and again it must be connected.

On my house the Pioneer "Home theater" can not only accept sound from the TV, but can switch VIDEO as well as AUDIO if I want to use the system right.

Think I can convince my wife to use the fantastic house sound system instead of the el-cheapo speakers in the TV... Right, not a chance.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

If the mh manufactor sells you a surround sound system it wouldn,t hurt them to set it up the right way at the factory.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Cheap surround sound system

We have the surround sound system in our coach. We followed the
set-up procedure to the letter. To us it just seems like there is a built in delay to some of the speakers. It may be only a part of a second, but it is more like having an echo than surround sound so we quit using it. I think that you could have a good system if you bought the proper amp and had the coach rewired by a reputable company. It is the same situation as chassis modifications, with it being left to the owner to make improvements. Just my two cents. Joe
Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I am also having difficulty getting the surround through the tv portion, if I play a dvd its fine but if I listen to music from Direct TV on the TV it seems to come through not as strong even when I follow the owners manual to a T. The original owner had switched the original TV to a Samsung for reasons unknown, it has an empty optical audio output and there are additional av (red and white) audio out cables going to the dvd player. On my previous coach an 02 Journey all I did was flip a switch and the surround would play from the TV through the speakers. I was thinking about getting extra speakers and hooking them directly to the TV and by passing the whole thing.