Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I recently purchased a 2005 adventurer 38J. My problem is when ever the water heater switch is on either gas or elect there is a high pitched tone from the surround speakers, it only does it when the heater is actually heating when the heater stops heating or if I turn the swith off the noise stops. Anyone have any ideas ?

Jim R

2005 WINNEBAGO ADVENTURER 38J
JDR43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I recently purchased a 2005 adventurer 38J. My problem is when ever the water heater switch is on either gas or elect there is a high pitched tone from the surround speakers, it only does it when the heater is actually heating when the heater stops heating or if I turn the swith off the noise stops. Anyone have any ideas ?

Jim R

Old 03-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #3

You' need to call Customer Relation 800-537-1885 and explain that to them. It sound like a ground problem that is feeding back.

Tomcat F15
Old 03-01-2005, 05:38 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Jim, as you know, I have the same problem you do. I think Tomcat's idea is good. In about 6 weeks I'll be able to refill my water heater and begin to search for the ground problem. (Too cold here)

Tomcat, any clues on how to chase down a bad ground?

Thanks,
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

DonovanP,
Those "GND" problems seen to keep on hanging around can't wait for spring to get here to double check those pesky gnd's. We all want to get out there an party Click on "007" member an you will find out all about "GND'S"---"007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem a few months ago. My service tech just laughed until he heard it himself. Mine only happened when I used gas to heat the water heater. The problem was fixed by putting a filter of some sort behind the tv (can't remember what they called it and I'm not in the MH where the records are). Our tv entertainment center is directly over the water heater. It was a simple fix. It wasn't a water heater problem, it was a speaker problem.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: The most obvious connection between the water heater and the audio system is through the 12-volt power line. Conducted interference is not that uncommon. The mechanism (if you are interested) is that some kind of noise producer puts the interfering frequency on the power line and the audio system reproduces this noise in the speakers. A common source is a switching voltage regulator. Inadequate filtering on the audio amplifier power is the transfer mechanism in the audio system. Now, the real question is what to do about it, and the answer is to simply filter the dc power as it enters the audio system. LC lowpass filters are available at radio shack etc. and are not too expensive. On the other hand, if it is still under warranty why not let WI do it? Of course a ground loop is also possible, and this can be eliminated by running a ground from the audio system directly to the battery. Unless you are interested I won't take time to explain ground loops, but let me know if you are.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm having this problem also. Winterized MH before I fixed it so I'll have to take care of it in a few more weeks when I de-winterize.

I discovered my problem in the mornings when I would turn the hot water switch on. The tv & radio were off but the radio power switch would be in the house mode. Only way to keep hot water switch on without the squeal was to change radio power switch to engine.

Also with tv & radio off I noticed there was feedback coming from the speakers when the radio power switch was in the house mode.

Seems that a lot of folks with different floorplans are having the same problem.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Mr. Russo, that's exactly how mine is working. Thanks everyone for the help. Still working on it.

Jim R

Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Dirk, Thanks for your reply. That electric water heater switch must run to a 120volt solenoid or whatever and that could be where the noise is coming from. Do you have any idea where that 120volt switch is? Is that where I run a seperate ground to the battery?

Thank you in advance,
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 07:50 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Had a very similiar experience when I installed one of the new shurflo 5.7 high pressure water pumps. Would only hear the noise when the water pump was working. Several phone calls to shurflo finally netted me an engineer in Cali. and he was nice enough to send me a 4700uf capacitor which I installed across the input 12v - ground. Got rid of 90% of the noise but still some running around. Aren't ground loops fun. I may just run a seperate ground wire back to the batteries which I am sure will cure the problem. Incidentally, I did work the filter at both the TV end of the circuit and even moved it to the front end of the amp with some but not marked improvement.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 08:24 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: I'm not sure about this, but I suspect that the water heater control circuits run from the 12-volt battery. Since ac is not always available this just makes sense. I would guess that the ac just runs a heating element, but it is controlled by a controller that runs from the 12-volt battery. A capacitor will do some good, but an LC (capacitor and inductor) filter will be more effective. If I have time, I will look up the actual data.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote