Home made sewer line supports
I’ve been thinking about sewer line supports for about a year now and during that time I’ve seen what others have come up with. Some have chosen those various designs that are commercially available while others came up with their own ideas that seemed to have worked just fine for them. I tried the expanded slinky device, but I wasn’t happy with it. Each time I opened the dump valve the weight and rush of the water would make the sewer hose a twisting anaconda that would fall off the slinky. The main hurtle that I could see being an issue was ease of height adjustability, while maintaining a stable support for the line. I ended up buying an 8’ section of gutter trough from Lowes that I cut in half to make the length variable from 4 to 7 feet allowing a 1 foot overlap. I cut off a very small piece of the trough so I could easily transfer its profile to the outer supports I would make for it. I took a piece of pressure treated 2x6 and ripped it to 2 x 4 5/8”. That latter dimension was necessary to accommodate a 5 ½” long 5/16” carriage bolt with a nut and bolt at the end that still left about a half inch of thread visible for a threaded coupling to attach. I cut the modified 2x6 to 7 5/8” lengths, centered the gutter profile and cut it in with a band saw. This gave me about 1 1/2” of material on either side of the profile void to through drill for the carriage bolts. I passed the bolts through, added a washer and nut afterward, and then attached a threaded coupling. I cut 5/16” threaded rod to 1’ lengths at attached it to the couplings. While I have yet to setup and use the system, I should be able to push the rods (I will eventually grind points on them) into the ground of my campsite to whatever height needed for a proper sewer slope and the trough should sit nice and firmly inside of the cutout. The threaded couplings allow me to easily dismantle and store the system when not in use, plus they give me the variability to easily convert to longer or shorter rods as needed for the terrain I end up camping on. The total cost was about $23.00 in hardware and the lumber was left over from a previous house project. Total working time was about 2 hours.