Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

After two bad experiences at Winnebago dealers attempting to get my roof seams repaired I finally found a RV repair shop that assured me they could do the job correctly. I took my Itasca Horizon to All-Stars RV Repair in Louviers, Colorado, south of Denver. I supplied the Winnie approved sealant and provided written instructions on what I wanted repaired i.e. the seal where the roof meets the sidewall.

Today, I arrived to pick up my coach and they had a ladder set up next to the driver's side window. I inspected the repair and to my delight it was excellent. They had removed the old caulking and precisely applied the new sealant on both sides of my coach.

It is great to find a repair facility that takes pride in their work.
2016 Independent Publishers Book Awards Winner
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

After two bad experiences at Winnebago dealers attempting to get my roof seams repaired I finally found a RV repair shop that assured me they could do the job correctly. I took my Itasca Horizon to All-Stars RV Repair in Louviers, Colorado, south of Denver. I supplied the Winnie approved sealant and provided written instructions on what I wanted repaired i.e. the seal where the roof meets the sidewall.

Today, I arrived to pick up my coach and they had a ladder set up next to the driver's side window. I inspected the repair and to my delight it was excellent. They had removed the old caulking and precisely applied the new sealant on both sides of my coach.

It is great to find a repair facility that takes pride in their work.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

so now you can return all those pots, pans and buckets you have borrowed when it rains!!

Seriously though - well done and happy travelling
Ice-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I too have a 2005 AD and would like to know why your seams went bad at such an early date. I love my rig but it is driving me over the edge. If I need to add bad seams to my other problems I may end up driving it over a cliff.

Don
DonGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Don,

Our coach is stored outside, mostly in Colorado where it is dry and the sun is intense. I found that the seams just above the gutter had cracked after 3 years. Winnebago has a good design because there is a second gutter behind that seam in case water leaks in. It is still a good idea to keep the seams sealed. And be sure to use the Winnebago approved sealant that is polyurethane. Never use silicone!!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:33 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I too have a 2005 AD and would like to know why your seams went bad at such an early date. I love my rig but it is driving me over the edge. If I need to add bad seams to my other problems I may end up driving it over a cliff. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 2005 Horizon and the roof seem caulking has let go again in several areas. FC recaulked them last year July. This is an ongoing maintenance item.

I just received my 3M 5200 caulking, this is a polyurethane permanent caulking, which is available in tan or mahogany and matches my coach color perfectly. We'll see if this application eliminates the annual re-caulking of that seam.

It should, given the experience I had with it on my boat.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Rex - hooray! Isn't it a great feeling when somebody other than yourself does a great job?!

How did your M3 maintenance go?

Harry - 5200 - WOW! Talk about something that will last forever! I was real careful about where I used 5200 in the boat - it had to be on something that was never, ever, never going to be removed. During my 5200 educational process, I did have to remove some part I bedded down with 5200. Had to use a razor and even at that I pulled up some gelcoat getting the whatever-it-was loose.

Maybe you ought to run the 5200 idea by Winnie before you permanantly join those two parts to see if there is some reason why you shouldn't. There is also 4200 which isn't permanent like 5200, but still a great sealant. I have used 4200 on my coach.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

John,

My M3 maintenance did not go well. It cost me $1,000 plus other items totaling $1,700 and the local Freightliner dealer treated me like crap. I don't want to go into all the problems I had. I wrote a letter to the manager and asked that he call me. Instead, I got a letter from another person offering a free detail or nitrogen in my tires. I called this person and explained that I was not looking for a detail or nitrogen, only to be treated fairly. They finally refunded $95 for items they did not perform. This was a month after the maintenance was performed. I won't return unless I absolutely cannot find another place for maintenance.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:23 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Rex - I didn't have a good feeling about your FTL dealer and I wasn't even involved!

Next time, plan a trip around maintenance. Head to Forest City or FTL Tolleson (Phoenix.)

Old 12-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

John,

Thanks.

I plan to take my coach to All-Stars RV in the future. They are the people who repaired my roof seams and they also do general oil change, lube and other maintenance. If it is a Freightliner issue I will have to do that on a trip and that is a pain once you get settled into a campground.
Old 12-20-2007, 05:08 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Maybe you ought to run the 5200 idea by Winnie before you permanantly join those two parts to see if there is some reason why you shouldn't. There is also 4200 which isn't permanent like 5200, but still a great sealant. I have used 4200 on my coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi John,
Yes I know that's the idea. I don't want to have to worry about it again. I considered the fact that it is extremely difficult to remove, but the only reason I can think of, that it would have to come off again would probably be to replace the roof. If that is the only reason it should not matter. However it probably is not a bad idea to run it by Winnie as to why I should not put the 3M 5200 caulking on.

Based on what Winnie is recommending for sealing the roof now, tensil strenght of the 3M 5200 is double the rating of winnie's recomended caulking. The colors match my coach perfectly. (The same colors as yours by the way)
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Harry - let us know what Winnie says about 5200...