Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

Hot water heater

Replaced hot water heater board with a dinasours UIB 64 , old board was no powering up yellow wire to 110 volt relay on back of water heater everything works fine but propane and 110 are on all the time or just propane , turn propane off and turn 110 on nothing Iíve owned a couple journeys I donít recall them working this way this is a 2003 journey
Mikesmowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2022, 08:09 PM   #2

Model of your Atwood WH??

Is this WH OEM or has been changed?

Does your WH have 4 pin & 6 pin connectors (old circuit board)
OR single 6 pin connector?

2003 didn't use the common ac/gas controls.......unless your MH was built very late 2003

IF you have common controls
White wire is 12VDC to circuit board for AC operation
Orange wire is 12VDC to circuit board for Gas operation

With AC switch ON....should have 12VDC on white wire
No 12VDC....turn Gas switch on
Got DC then you have wires shorting in the switches

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #3

It heats the cold water.
CamperLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 08:29 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
It heats the cold water.
Only on initial heat cycle....then it reheats hot water (110*F)
Old 06-28-2022, 08:43 PM   #5

Itís a GCH10A-4E , so itís supposed to intinally heat with both then switch to electric only when water reaches 110 degrees
Old 06-28-2022, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmowing View Post
It’s a GCH10A-4E , so it’s supposed to intinally heat with both then switch to electric only when water reaches 110 degrees
There is no auto switching from one heat source to other

GCH10A-4E
Gas Combo Heat exchanger 10 gal with [B 'A'[/B] screw in element 4th version Electronic Ignition
***You have one of the earliest of the new common control versions

Use One set of T-stat/ECO for both Gas & Electric
T-stat Opens when Temp reaches 140*F/Closes for reheat at 110*F where on gas, on electric OR on both

ECO (Energy Cut Off/Hi temp t-stat) Opens at 180*F....locks out any more heating until reset...triggers Fault Light

Turn on GAS switch....12VDC goes to circuit board via Orange wire (Pin #4...on TOP 4 pin connector)

Turn on ELECTRIC switch....12VDC goes to circuit board via White wire (Pin #3...on TOP 4 pin connector)

12VDC then goes to T-stat via Brown wire (Pin #2....on TOP 4 pin connector) thru Thermal Fuse and back to circuit board via Brwon wire (Pin #6....on Bottom 6 pin connector)

Can use Gas, use Electric or use both (if both switches are turned on)
**If on one switch is turned on then ONLY that heat source should be working......otherwise short in Dual on/Off Switches OR 4 pin connector/connection

Heat Exchanger.........
Engine Coolant hoses connected to 1/2" tube on backside of WH Tank
Heats water to roughly 130*F when driving for at least couple hours
*can heat to higher temps if driving for many hours...no temp controls
Old 07-02-2022, 07:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperLifer View Post
It heats the cold water.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 PM   #8

Had time to look into hot water heater, came originally with the old style heater other owner had it changed to the newer style white wire only gets power when turning on propane switch inside rv, Iím going to have to run a 12 volt fused with a switch and connect it to the white wire that also has a switch on it to run on AC only and flip AC switch inside to run on AC and leave propane off . I like things to work independently especially in the summer months or I if using lot of hot water flip propane for faster recovery
Old 07-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesmowing View Post
Had time to look into hot water heater, came originally with the old style heater other owner had it changed to the newer style white wire only gets power when turning on propane switch inside rv, Iím going to have to run a 12 volt fused with a switch and connect it to the white wire that also has a switch on it to run on AC only and flip AC switch inside to run on AC and leave propane off . I like things to work independently especially in the summer months or I if using lot of hot water flip propane for faster recovery
Listen to Old-Biscuit and you'll have it operating properly and reliably.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, hot water, water, water heater