Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Plumbing | Systems and Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I am leaving Wisconsin Friday the 17th for Florida. I know my compartments are heated by the furnace. I would like to dewinterize the water system before I leave home. My question is - What is the lowest outside temperature I can safely travel with out freezing the system? If anyone has experience on this issue I would like to hear from you.

Thanks;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I am leaving Wisconsin Friday the 17th for Florida. I know my compartments are heated by the furnace. I would like to dewinterize the water system before I leave home. My question is - What is the lowest outside temperature I can safely travel with out freezing the system? If anyone has experience on this issue I would like to hear from you.

Thanks;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 03-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have traveled to FL. in FEB. every winter for 16 years, kids love DISNEY, dewinterized and fill water about 1/3 because would stop in NJ. rest area overnight. Fill LP tank and run furnace, had winter pkg. with fan in hose vent to compartments to increase hot air flow, but you should be ok this time of year days are warming up. Just keep heat on until you get somewhat south and take it from there. Have a good and safe trip. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Don, If you leave the heat on you'll be fine. You can travel in zero temps as long as the furnace is running. Not the dash heat, but the furnace. The trick is to not run the dash heat nice and warm in winter temps and then let the furnace only kick in a little bit. Let the main furnace run often so that it moves the warm air through the ducts and let the dash heat be the secondary source while driving. I've dewinterized and left it sit in the driveway with the furnace on without any issues - other than the fact that it burns plenty of LP on a cold Wisconsin night.

In February 2004 it was 10 degrees and we let it run two days in our Suncruiser prior to leaving for Georgia. That first night we stopped at the Bowling Green, KY KOA and refilled the LP tank because it was getting low.

It looks like we have some better weather coming up so you shouldn't be in too bad of a shape.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:45 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

What he said works fine...but I took the other approach, I moved far enough south that freeezing is not such a problem.

Ken
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Ken....AMEN brother!!

Many more of these unusually cold winters (for here anyway...) and we're outta here!

Guess that's what I get....marrying that northern woman from Joe-K's part of the country and transplanting her down here....She brought her weather with her!!

Said she'd move if I found warm,but she won't go to Florida...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We lived north of Toronto for almost two years. More than enough cold and snow to last a life time....

Ken
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks guys for your replys and humor. I looked ahead 10 days on Accuweather and the night forcast is for +8 above on the 16th. I was afraid I would be pushing it a little. Special thanks to you Mark. I will follow your advice and experience. This most valuable input is what makes IRV2 so special.

Don
Old 03-08-2006, 02:51 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Hey BOB,,you need to move to Yorktown.
We have had a mild winter over here, you are usually warmer than we are...You are just rushing camping time. With a new coach I am sure its seems like months since December...Jim
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I've traveled from PA to FL most winter months.

8F!

If I were you I would fill my tank with water and NOT pump it through the system. Carry a couple gallon milk jugs with water for the toilet.

When I got far enough south I would de-winterize.

I would use a couple wireless hi/lo thermometers and monitor the temps in the critical basement compartments. I'd make a chart of the outside temps and campartment temps for future reference. You'd then know "how low you could go".
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:35 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I ski all the time in my 2001 Itasca, been out all weekend with temps ranging from 5 deg to 20 deg f with no probelm I just use my water system as normal and leave the furnace on. Some people sometime put a 60 watt light bulb in the compart where the waste tank valves are but I've never had any problems. since your heading south I would just fill up and dewinterize and leave the furnace on.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:16 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Much depends on the placement of your pump compartment and where your furnace is located.

On my Vectra the pump was located in the very rear compartment and I never had a problem. On my Suncruiser the pump is located in the very first compartment directly behind the front passenger side tire. My pump froze and broke on my maiden voyage to Fl from PA last Jan. Temps never went below 20. Cracked the Shurflo 5.7 $200 pump. I suspect my front pump compartment is difficult to heat as it take the brunt of the wind being directly behind the front tire and my water tank is in that compartment with it's venting louvers.

That is why I suggested making his trip without water in the lines and monitoring the water compartment with a remote thermometer.

Whatever you decide let us know how you do on your trip.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:37 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We leave for the south on dec 26 each year. We nearly always have 15to20 degree temps in dec. I never winterize. I simply set the thermostat on 40 and let the furnace run. The MH is parked behind the house so I put a remote thermometer in it with the readout in the house so I can track the temp to make sure it stays warm enough.
Dick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 04:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

You probably don't need to run the furnace, just the furnace FAN, It will circulate the warmer coach air through the compartments.

RAS

1998 CR-V
raspears is offline   Reply With Quote