Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought a new outer lock plate for the main entry door. This is the the big black plate with the paddle handle and 2 locks (dead bolt and handle). It came with a new dead bolt lock cylinder installed and 2 new keys. I'm supposed to use the handle lock cylinder from the existing hardware.

Sounds simple enough, but I can't figure out how to get the cylinder out of the old door plate. There doesn't seem to be anything behind the plate that releases it. Is this something a locksmith does through the keyhole or am I just blind? Thanks for any help...
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Bought a new outer lock plate for the main entry door. This is the the big black plate with the paddle handle and 2 locks (dead bolt and handle). It came with a new dead bolt lock cylinder installed and 2 new keys. I'm supposed to use the handle lock cylinder from the existing hardware.

Sounds simple enough, but I can't figure out how to get the cylinder out of the old door plate. There doesn't seem to be anything behind the plate that releases it. Is this something a locksmith does through the keyhole or am I just blind? Thanks for any help...
Old 09-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom:

This is simple to do but you do NOT want to have the instructions posted on the Internet. Once the lock cylinder is removed you can get the door opened from the outside. If someone tells you how this is done, then every neer-do-well will know how to easily and quietly get into every RV out there! My RV dealer showed me what needed to be done and I did it with no charge from the dealer.
Doug
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Doug! I was afraid it would be something like that. Can't believe they don't secure the cylinder from behind the plate. My old hardware is working fine, just all scratched up from old hurricane damage that was repaired with spray paint. You can imagine how well spray paint holds up on a door plate...

Think I'll just wait till I get home and take it my neighborhood locksmith. Thanks again...
Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #5

Doug, you could have sent him a PM or ask him for his phone number in a PM. Nobody would know that way....Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote