Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 07:47 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
How many Journeys built in 2016-2017?

Am considering a 2016-2017 Meridian or Journey, (36 ft) but they appear not to be many listed in the various dealerships. Am wondering how many were built during those years.

Are they a relatively trouble-free coach, or just a few built?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2022, 07:42 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
The Meridian and maybe the whole Itasca line was discontinued before 2016, maybe 2012 or so. I think the entire Journey line was dropped in 2017 or 2018.

The Journey line was reintroduced in 2022 but I never saw one actually for sale in 2022 only videos of a prototype.

The Journey disappears from Winnebago brochure archive in 2017 and still isn't present in there. The operators manual appears in 2022 and 2023.

What I saw of the 2022 Journey prototype it had a lot of bells and whistles and the passenger side slide maybe have a better mechanism. Overall I wouldn't trade mine for what I saw. First of all it looks like the basement and the interior has a lot less storage space, the basement may have 1/2 the useful space.

A lot of those "upgrades" are just problems waiting to happen with very little benefit. Remote locking basement doors for one thing. I'll have to check every door to make sure it is properly latched anyway so turning the key in the lock isn't that big of an issue. The down side is if the locks fail you have to start at the rear most of the coach and pull a lanyard to unlock the next compartment which would be a PITA until you got the locks fixed. The smart center light switches look like a pointless single point of failure and not particularly convenient. .

Popup TV, dumb, more loss of storage.
Oh and no propane all electric. That mean you'll have to carry propane for your grill another PITA. Better plan running the generator a lot or always having electric hookup. Wouldn't work for me I'll be off grid for a month starting next week.

I could go on.

But to each his own.
Old 08-17-2022, 01:56 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr

The 36M model Journey was made from 2012 -2017 with the same floor plan with only minor tweaks, IE front lights, with and without sink in bedroom, wood frame on closet doors vs all glass etc.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
2017 Journey

Thank you RREAM.
Looked at a 2017 Meridian yesterday - a beauty with 14K miles. Problem was the shiny tile floors and dark counter tops was a major turn off for the boss. For me, the turn off was Toyo tires.
Couldn't figure why a 5-year old coach with 14K miles needed new tires. I'm sure it was delivered with Michelins.
Old 08-17-2022, 04:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Mr

My 2012 floors are not the shiny stuff, yep I am sure they came with Michelins, I have owned my since it was brand new 11/11/11, with that many miles it was hardly used we have 76K on ours, for the last 50K miles I have averaged 8.78 MPG
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedT View Post
Thank you RREAM.
Looked at a 2017 Meridian yesterday - a beauty with 14K miles. Problem was the shiny tile floors and dark counter tops was a major turn off for the boss. For me, the turn off was Toyo tires.
Couldn't figure why a 5-year old coach with 14K miles needed new tires. I'm sure it was delivered with Michelins.
This is an easy one. 2017 motorhomes come with 2016 chassis and the OEM Michelins were aged out at 6 years. Most recommend changing out your motorhome tires between 5 and 7 years after the DOT date on the sidewall.

My 2017 Adventurer has 2016 DOT dates on the sidewall and I plan on changing those tires out this winter before my 2023 winter trips begin. I too plan on getting Toyo tires this time. There are LOTs of strong recommendations of replacing Michelins with Toyos.

So, if you found a good low mileage 2017 Meridian - especially with new Toyos on it - I'd say jump on it. That's the PEAK of Journey/Meridian RV production.

Also, FYI the entire Itasca brand went away in 2017 as well.

PS. I responded when you asked this question on winnieowners.com. There technically are some 2018 models but they are all leftovers built in the fall of 2017 before Winnebago closed the motorhome line in Iowa to move everything to Junction City, Oregon.

I didn't mention the details of the Oregon move... Winnebago bought the rights and production facilities from Country Coach in 2015 after they went out of business. The plan was to move motorhome production to the Country Coach factory using the former employees there. There was even talk of resurrecting the Country Coach brand. Winnebago built at least one Grand Tour RV there as they were scaling up. Then they introduced a new modern Horizon RV built there and they built many dozens (hundreds?) of them. During that time it dawned on Winnebago that the move was ill advised and it was stopped. At first, they kept the plant open for a West Coast Winnebago Service Center but quickly dropped that idea as well and closed everything down.

They moved a lot of parts and fiberglass molds back to Iowa. They built a new building next to the old building and fitted out a new motorhome factory. The new Journey is the first model to be built there. But they have been super slow in getting production up and running and they are way behind on fulfilling orders from individuals and dealers.
Old 08-18-2022, 06:15 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
How many Journeys?

Thanks for info, CREATIVEPART. I purchased my '04 Meridian new, and it has served us well (152K miles) but I want to move up a bit for the newer electronics. Finding a 17-18 Journey or Meridian has been difficult.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:31 PM   #8

We had a 2014 Journey 36M for 6 years until we traded for a 2017 Journey 40J. The 36M served us well halftiming and fulltiming. The sink in the bedroom and stacked washer/dryer contributed to livability. The 6.7 ISB Cummins 360hp/800lb torque got the job done towing our 4300lb Edge back and forth across the country including pases over the Rockies. Not the fastest up the long steep grades but never a problem. We like our current 40J Journey even better and Winnebago only made between 40-50 of them between 2017-18 before they closed production at Junction City Oregon. Might take a look at the 40J if you can find one - great floorplan, 400hp/1250lb tq, aquahot, 1.5 baths, more basement storage than a Tour, large holding tanks (87/57), king bed, 3 roof ACs, side mounted angle TV, recliner, etc. You can't go wrong on either one.
Rmedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:42 PM   #9

We're selling our 2016 Journey 36M as my wife's health won't allow for the RV life anymore. We do really like the coach.
Oregoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:43 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can find a 2016 Journey, take a real close good look and buy it. We have the 38P 2016 Journey and love the quality, reliability and no major issues to date.
ke4jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:54 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
How many Journeys?

I'm awaiting the arrival of a 2017 Journey 36M at a local dealer. Was told it was an immaculate coach purchased new at the local dealer, serviced there. The current owners are trading it in to downsize to a smaller coach.

Am told it is the exterior color we want, has the queen bed, and 8000K genset, plus all of the Journey listed accessories. Will look at it when it arrives.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:02 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would say the reason you can't find any at a dealer is because those that have them will not trade them because they like them so well
51chevy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey