Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 09:34 PM   #1

How Reliable has your F53 chassis been?

How many miles have you driven your F53 gas motorhome without an on the road breakdown that required a tow?

I ask because I have a worry problem about driving off the beaten path. My Itasca Sunstar is a 2015 with 32,000 miles now, mostly interstate driving. I keep up with all maintenance. It should be fine, but I thought it would help to hear from a lot of Winnie/Itasca gas owners who have driven thousands of miles without a problem.

So, who has had lots of trouble-free driving miles?
Minnesota51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:05 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota51 View Post
How many miles have you driven your F53 gas motorhome without an on the road breakdown that required a tow?

I ask because I have a worry problem about driving off the beaten path. My Itasca Sunstar is a 2015 with 32,000 miles now, mostly interstate driving. I keep up with all maintenance. It should be fine, but I thought it would help to hear from a lot of Winnie/Itasca gas owners who have driven thousands of miles without a problem.

So, who has had lots of trouble-free driving miles?

I have a 2000 Winnebago with F53 been on both coasts several times., Yellowstone, Nova Scotia and across Canada. I had one break down caused by a faulty factory design that sucked rain into the air intake. Exceptional reliability. Never fails to start and is extremely reliable in the hottest, wettest and coldest weather.

Rvernie
McKinney Texas
Old 04-22-2017, 11:22 PM   #3

Well,
Not a Winne or Itasca but, our last coach was a '99 Fleetwood Bounder, 34V with the F-53 chassis and the Triton V-10. We owned that coach for right at 7 years and put nearly 66K miles on it. In those 66K miles, and 7 years, that coach NEVER had to be towed. It was a great coach. Fairly well built and very dependable. The chassis held up just fine. WE would regularly venture off road for desert trips for dune stuff and more. We never hot rodded it off road and were in fact, quite gentle with it when off the pavement.

In that time, I had a few repairs/maintenance items but, nothing to get too concerned over. I put front brakes on it at 60K and, had to rebuild the fancy parking brake unit that hangs off the back of the trans, no biggie. Other than that, that F-53 chassis held its own for all that time and never let us down.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #4

We put about 115,000 miles on our 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis. It was never towed in the 12+ years we had it. We've also put another 35,000 miles on our 2013 Adventurer on the F53 chassis and again it's never been towed.

Neither of them ever broke down on the road.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:43 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
2006 coach I acquired used in 2011. Had 18,000 miles then and now has 58,000 miles. One break down that required a tow but was 5 miles from home. Fly by wire throttle motor had a magnet come loose so I lost all throttle control. Fixed it myself the next day. I worry more about the stuff above the floor of the coach then what is under it.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, f53