Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 05:51 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
There’s another similar thread going on right now - at least you know you have a furnace.....
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Or maybe home systems are different than RVs. I really haven't noticed mine, maybe it does turn on right away--there is a delay at the thermostat level when I do first turn it on. But home ones typically have two fans, and the main one doesn't kick on until the furnace has warmed up so that it doesn't blow cold air through the house.
Yes a residential furnace can have 2 separate motor/fans
ONE is the combustion fan...it comes on FIRST before gas to purge any accumulated fumes
Then after flame is established the Main Blower comes on to more heated air into house

RV Furnaces....
Have ONE motor with TWO air wheels
One combustion side and one room side
Motor starts FIRST to purge and supply combustion air
Then gas valve opens after sail switch closes allowing DC to circuit board for ignition sequence
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #17

Well, it works...

Took a minute or longer to turn out, and to be honest, I was looking for air to come out the ceiling vents...

The floor vents didn’t cross my mind, and they are behind the drivers seat and in one bathroom... when running, you do not hear a fan. I do feel air blowing, that’s warmish...

Took an hour to get from 45 degrees to 62 degrees...

Suprised for such a small space it takes so long, but then again RV’s don’t really have a lot of insulation either...

I can’t imagine this thing working great in freezing temps...

Out of curiosity, how long does a 30 gallon propane tank feed a 35,000 btu heater?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Well, it works...

Took a minute or longer to turn out, and to be honest, I was looking for air to come out the ceiling vents...

The floor vents didn’t cross my mind, and they are behind the drivers seat and in one bathroom... when running, you do not hear a fan. I do feel air blowing, that’s warmish...

Took an hour to get from 45 degrees to 62 degrees...

Suprised for such a small space it takes so long, but then again RV’s don’t really have a lot of insulation either...

I can’t imagine this thing working great in freezing temps...

Out of curiosity, how long does a 30 gallon propane tank feed a 35,000 btu heater?

1 gallon of propane has 91,500 btu
35,000btu furnace is per hour run time btu rating
Furnace will cycle ONCE inside temp is up to thermostat set point

*furnace not only had to warm up the room air but all of the furniture, cabinets, etc
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 09:10 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
1 gallon of propane has 91,500 btu
35,000btu furnace is per hour run time btu rating
Furnace will cycle ONCE inside temp is up to thermostat set point

*furnace not only had to warm up the room air but all of the furniture, cabinets, etc
When doing the math, remember that your tank is only filled to 80% capacity, so if it’s a 30 gal tank, you only have 24 gal when full. So about 62 hours, 44 min run time, give or take...
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #20

Here goes; Our MH has 2 LP furnaces, the front furnace is connected to the thermostat for the basement heat pump. On the right of the thermostat is a switch saying electric or LP. When the switch is set to LP/propane only that furnace operates. When the switch is set to electric the LP furnace only comes on when the outside temperature is so low (34°-38°) the heat pump cannot maintain set temperature.
The rear furnace thermostat is in the bedroom and only controls that furnace, pretty straightforward. This furnace also heats the underbelly wet bay and water tanks.

Key to proper operation basement unit operation is keeping a clean air filter in the return air duct under the bed. I use Filtrette brand air filter due to having asthma, these require changing every 2-3 weeks they catch so much dust and dirt.

Here is the operation/service manual for the basement unit and thermostat: http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/rvp/6535heatpump.pdf
The sales brochure for our MH is the link in my signature. I have many more links to valuable information about our MH. Another member, AFChap has a newer model.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:09 AM   #21

Thanks guys, still trying to figure this thing out... next year is the first road trip. This year is just trying to make it as reliable as possible first...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:26 AM   #22

You should also have the motoraid option, which uses engine coolant to heat your hot water tank as you travel. You may also have an AUX heater which provides heat from the engine coolant to your floor registers while traveling. This would be in addition to your dash heater.
Old 10-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The fan comes on first on ours. The flow from the fan causes the blower switch to close which then allows the propane to fire. Of course ours is old, things may be different with newer models.
Same for my 2017 Atwood furnace (blower switch = sail switch)...
Old 10-26-2020, 07:39 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Sail Switch! I was tryin to remember that term yesterday when about five new furnace threads popped up - you can sure tell its getting colder....Guess in late spring there’ll be a jumble of new AC threads...

Tags
ace, furnace