RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 04:07 PM   #1

How the heck do you turn furnace on?

AC works fine. Today itís 40 degrees outside, turned the thermostat to heat and 80 degrees... nothing happens... no blower sounds, nada. Fan turned to on, or auto...still nothing...

Never used it before, new to me 2000 ultimate freedom. Is there a trick to this?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

Mentioning the brand of furnace/thermostat would probably get you more responses than mentioning the RV model.

I'm going to assume an analog thermostat. Does it have a switch some place to switch from heating to cooling? Do you have the propane turned on? Does the furnace have a pilot light?

If it's a Dometic (sp?) I've heard they no longer make the analog controller, so you might be looking at installing a new digital kit (thermostat and controller).
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:41 PM   #3

If the blower doesn't start it might be the sail switch. locations of switch varies by manufacturer.
jeanluc001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #4

The first thing that comes on is the fan, if its not starting, look for a bad fuse.
Also make sure the battery disconnect switch is on and the battery has power in it.

The whole heating system is 12 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #5

Thanks guys, rv is parked next to my house, will work on it tomorrow...

Analog, switched from cooling to heating...

Furnace brand is not visible anywhere...

Propane tank doesn’t have a visible on/off. Only control on it is labeled “air vent.” Will turn on the stove burners tommorrow make sure that works...

I was expecting the blower to go on... it doesn’t. But when I switch to ac... it goes on... perhaps the controller is bad...
Old 10-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #6

Really the fan shouldn't go on until the furnace lights off, but I don't know that RV systems are that advanced. The gas stove test may very well tell you something.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:37 PM   #7

According to the Winny brochure you have the Coleman Basement Air (heat pump optional). Also it shows you have 2 Suburban LP heaters, 25K and 35K btu.

There is more than likely a second tsat for one of the lp heaters.

Your main tstat should have modes cool-off-gas heat if you do not have a heatpump, and cool-off-gas heat-electric heat if you have a heat pump. (I believe)

On my lp furnace, the blower starts first, then ignition. The blower will continue after the furnace lp goes off to cool the heat exchanger to a safe level.

Check all your 12volt breakers.

If you have the heatpump unit, once the tstat calls for electric heat the fans and compressors are controlled by the pc board in the basement unit until the set temp is reached.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:47 PM   #8

Well, you learn everyday...

I always assumed the ac and heater were one unit, much like in a condo...

But if I am understanding this, the ac unit is completely separate from the heating unit...

So I assume separate blowers? Separate ducts? Hmmm...
Old 10-24-2020, 07:04 PM   #9

If you have a Coleman basement heatpump, the unit will provide ac cooling thru your ceiling vents in the cool mode. It will reverse the freon and provide heat thru your ceiling vents (subject to outside air temp/humidity limits) in the electric heat mode.

Your lp gas furnaces will provide heat thru your floor registers.

There are no air filters in the lp gas system, but there are in the basement ac or heatpump system.

Additionally, if you have a basement heatpump, one of the gas furnaces will be controlled by the tstat when in the electric heat mode.

You should be able to find you basement units part number somewhere on the unit. Or better yet, email or@winnebagoind.com with your coach serial number and they should be able to provide the info.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
Really the fan shouldn't go on until the furnace lights off, but I don't know that RV systems are that advanced. The gas stove test may very well tell you something.
That's wrong. In RV furnaces, the fan starts and closes the sail switch. Once the sail switch closes, the burner solenoid opens for gas flow and the igniter comes on.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 PM   #11

Onebrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Well, you learn everyday...

I always assumed the ac and heater were one unit, much like in a condo...

But if I am understanding this, the ac unit is completely separate from the heating unit...

So I assume separate blowers? Separate ducts? Hmmm...
Our Winnebago voyage has AC ceiling ducks and heating ducts in the floor, we have the basement unit with one Thermostat controlling both functions, so you were right two separate ducts in this system.
Good luck with your trouble shooting you'll have it up and running in no time with a bit of luck.
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That's wrong. In RV furnaces, the fan starts and closes the sail switch. Once the sail switch closes, the burner solenoid opens for gas flow and the igniter comes on.
...and, you *want* it to work this way, for safety's sake. Turning on the gas before the fan could result in bad things happening, ranging from gas in the living space to "boom!"
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
The fan comes on first on ours. The flow from the fan causes the blower switch to close which then allows the propane to fire. Of course ours is old, things may be different with newer models.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
The fan comes on first on ours. The flow from the fan causes the blower switch to close which then allows the propane to fire. Of course ours is old, things may be different with newer models.
Or maybe home systems are different than RVs. I really haven't noticed mine, maybe it does turn on right away--there is a delay at the thermostat level when I do first turn it on. But home ones typically have two fans, and the main one doesn't kick on until the furnace has warmed up so that it doesn't blow cold air through the house.

Tags
ace, furnace