Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2021, 07:36 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
How to fix tear in slide out awning

On our 2nd trip out in our 2008 Sightseer we had to put our bedroom slide out in because of wind so before the next trip want to try to repair the tear in the awning. We have a roll of clear vinyl repair patch we've used previously on a regular awning but it didn't stick good then. Is vinyl glue recommended?

Also, if we just cut off the awning for now will the direct sunlight damage the top of the slideout? It appears to be a different material than our previous slideouts on other units.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Phyllis
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Im taking mine to a local RV repair shop that happens to be in the same complex as my favorite automotive upholstery shop.

One of my toppers failed at the attachment point on the roof - the stitching that holds the fabric in the mount point on the coach has failed but the fabric is still good.

Apparently they repair a lot of these working together. I could save around $200 removing it myself and taking it in, but for the money its worth it to me to have them do the whole job.

Is yours torn mid-span in the fabric, or is it coming apart at the roof line? If the fabric is torn it might be an indication that its at the end of its useful life and be best to replace it.

Fabric info:
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/r...panionFullview
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:24 AM   #3

I used some of the below to repair our main awning about 12 years ago. It adhered fine and never came loose. Unfortunately, the rest of the awning began deteriorating to the point where the whole thing had to be replaced.

Not positive but I believe the tape comes in different widths.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:37 AM   #4

You may want to check out Six moon designs at the below link. This tape is supposed to stick to just about any kind of fabric. For $5 and shipping you don't have a lot to lose. No I've never used it so I can't say whether it's good or not. Take it for what it's worth.
https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/colle...tenacious-tape

Good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sail tape used to repair Sailing boat sails is suppose to be the best. Not cheap but is a near permanent repair.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
The awning over the slide is more to keep water off the top of the slide more than sun protection.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:29 PM   #7

If your awning is white, you could use white gorilla tape
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 04:42 PM   #8
doc

Appalachian Campers
No longer have a winnebago product but years ago we had a 4 inch tear that I repaired with a short piece of fabrick backed Eternabond tape. Was still in place when we sold the coach for Damon. Wish I had that coach back.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:43 PM   #9

We had a very small tear in our regular awning and used clear Flex Seal tape on it. The tape isn't visible and after around 4 years, it's still holding tight.
aspengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 05:59 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tried RV Awning Repair Tape but didn't stick to the fabric on the slide out awning
Old 12-07-2021, 06:04 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Im taking mine to a local RV repair shop that happens to be in the same complex as my favorite automotive upholstery shop.

One of my toppers failed at the attachment point on the roof - the stitching that holds the fabric in the mount point on the coach has failed but the fabric is still good.

Apparently they repair a lot of these working together. I could save around $200 removing it myself and taking it in, but for the money its worth it to me to have them do the whole job.

Is yours torn mid-span in the fabric, or is it coming apart at the roof line? If the fabric is torn it might be an indication that its at the end of its useful life and be best to replace it.

Fabric info:
https://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/r...panionFullview
Our tear is mid-span. Going to try white Gorilla tape for now.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:33 PM   #12

+ 1 on gorilla tape.
HR2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe2 View Post
Our tear is mid-span. Going to try white Gorilla tape for now.

The adhesive on the Gorilla Tape tends to creep and then leave tracks when you roll up an awning. I had to add stitching by hand to keep it from creeping about when exposed to the sun.
Old 12-08-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennysbabe2 View Post
On our 2nd trip out in our 2008 Sightseer we had to put our bedroom slide out in because of wind so before the next trip want to try to repair the tear in the awning. We have a roll of clear vinyl repair patch we've used previously on a regular awning but it didn't stick good then. Is vinyl glue recommended?

Also, if we just cut off the awning for now will the direct sunlight damage the top of the slideout? It appears to be a different material than our previous slideouts on other units.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. TIA

Phyllis
I recommend replacing the topper. I have replace a couple of them. Got mine from Amazon. It's not all that hard and mine was for the long slide. My DW needed to help a bit and we needed 2 ladders. But, with care, it is easy to do. I'm in my 70's so it can't be bad. You MUST pin the spring end. Full instructions are available from the awing manufacture.

Tags
awning, slide, slide out