[Solved] How to remove dash instrument cluster on a 1996 Vectra ?
Even though no one replied to my post, I wanted to let people know that I solved the problem, and how I did it, in case they need to.
To remove the black plastic front bezel the following must be done:
1. Remove the back cover from the instrument panel.
2. Remove two screws from the top that are behind the black plastic bezel.
3. There are some screws in the front of the black plastic bezel that screw up into the bottom edge of the black plastic bezel. Feel around the bottom of the black plastic bezel with your hands and you will feel the screw heads.
4. There is a tan plastic trim piece around the steering column that has to be removed. After it is removed there are two screws that are holding the black plastic bezel.
5. The windshield wiper switch must be removed. Pull the knobs off of the shaft, and then use a socket to unscrew the switch.
6. The headlight switch must be removed. The knob and shaft come out together from the front, but first you have to press and turn a small spring-loaded button on the bottom of the headlight switch. This is a common type of Headlight switch on older GM (and maybe Ford) pickup trucks. Then use a socket to unscrew the switch from the black plastic bezel.
7. Remove the radio from the dash.
I have attached a couple more photos showing my dash apart and the instrument cluster out of the dash.
I was able to successfully repair my tachometer and put everything back together. It all works great now.
Thank you, and happy travels.....