Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 06:01 PM   #1

How to remove dash instrument cluster on a 1996 Vectra ?

Hello,

I am a newbie here.

I need some information on my 1996 Winnebago Vectra WKM34RQ Diesel Pusher motorhome on a Freightliner X-Line Chassis. It has a Cummins 5.9 diesel engine.

I would like some information on how to remove the instrument cluster. My tachometer rarely (but occasionally) works. I have verified that the signal from the magnetic pickup in the bell housing is getting to a connector in the rear of the dashboard. I think the problem is in the tachometer itself. My RV is old school and does not use a Vehicle Data Unit (VDU) nor does it have a Data Bus for all of the gauges.

I have the back cover of the instrument panel off, but I believe the front dash bezel has to come off, and then the instrument cluster comes out the front. I could be wrong. I have all of the screws out that I could find, but the front dash bezel does not want to come off.

I will try to attach a photo of my instrument cluster.

I think the dashboards for Winnebago Class A around my year (1996) are very similar for both Gas and Diesel RVs.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
SuperDad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #2

I tried to attach photos but was unsuccessful. I will do some reading and try again later. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 PM   #3

Another attempt at adding a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vectra_Dash01.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	144944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vectra_Dash02.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	144945  

Old 12-14-2016, 05:18 PM   #4

[Solved] How to remove dash instrument cluster on a 1996 Vectra ?

Hello,

Even though no one replied to my post, I wanted to let people know that I solved the problem, and how I did it, in case they need to.

To remove the black plastic front bezel the following must be done:

1. Remove the back cover from the instrument panel.

2. Remove two screws from the top that are behind the black plastic bezel.

3. There are some screws in the front of the black plastic bezel that screw up into the bottom edge of the black plastic bezel. Feel around the bottom of the black plastic bezel with your hands and you will feel the screw heads.

4. There is a tan plastic trim piece around the steering column that has to be removed. After it is removed there are two screws that are holding the black plastic bezel.

5. The windshield wiper switch must be removed. Pull the knobs off of the shaft, and then use a socket to unscrew the switch.

6. The headlight switch must be removed. The knob and shaft come out together from the front, but first you have to press and turn a small spring-loaded button on the bottom of the headlight switch. This is a common type of Headlight switch on older GM (and maybe Ford) pickup trucks. Then use a socket to unscrew the switch from the black plastic bezel.

7. Remove the radio from the dash.

I have attached a couple more photos showing my dash apart and the instrument cluster out of the dash.

I was able to successfully repair my tachometer and put everything back together. It all works great now.

Thank you, and happy travels.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161204_123501661_HDR.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	146733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161204_123436482.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	146734