Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

How to tell if basement air is working fully?

2000 ultimate advantage...

This past weekend temps were 95 degrees...

Basement air cooled to 70 degrees but took most of the day to get there... AC ran pretty much all day, shut off a couple times at night...

Normal?

Any easy way to check itís working at full efficiency?

This thing has 2 compressors, correct? Easy way to make sure both work well?

Can one simple throw the circuit breaker to one of the compressors to shut it off, check output temp, then do again for other compressor?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2021, 08:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
2000 ultimate advantage...

This past weekend temps were 95 degrees...

Basement air cooled to 70 degrees but took most of the day to get there... AC ran pretty much all day, shut off a couple times at night...

Normal?

Any easy way to check itís working at full efficiency?

This thing has 2 compressors, correct? Easy way to make sure both work well?

Can one simple throw the circuit breaker to one of the compressors to shut it off, check output temp, then do again for other compressor?
I also have the basement air. I just had repairs done to mine due to a low voltage on one line of the CG pedestal.

If your getting 70 degrees in 95 degree heat yours is working great. I believe for it to run you have to have ac 1 on. You can tip the breaker for 2 off, start your air and then when you flip 2 on youíll here it start.

I do not believe you can do it the other way around. 2 on 1 off then start 1

Get an infrared thermometer. When mine are running Iíll get 55-56 degrees coming out of the vents.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 08:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Easiest way to tell if both compressors are running ... When on generator or 30a shore power you will see amp usage on the interior panel. Turn on ac with the t-stat set more than 3 degrees lower than interior temp. When compressor #1 kicks in you will see apx 17a on the display (depending on what else is running also). Wait for #2 to kick in. When both are running you will see apx 24a on the display.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Easiest way to tell if both compressors are running ... When on generator or 30a shore power you will see amp usage on the interior panel. Turn on ac with the t-stat set more than 3 degrees lower than interior temp. When compressor #1 kicks in you will see apx 17a on the display (depending on what else is running also). Wait for #2 to kick in. When both are running you will see apx 24a on the display.
Can you shut off the breaker to each to verify that each is cooling well/equally?
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:50 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
#1 must be running before #2 will start, so you could shut #2 off, but turning off #1 breaker would also kill #2. I don't see what shutting off #2 would tell you, although I have seen the rare situation when there is a problem with #2 that causes a large power surge when it attempts to start & fails, that power surge may be large enough to kill the generator. (did not affect operation on shore power in the cases I have seen.) Flipping the breaker to #2 would allow you to at least have #1 running. To easily check the temp differential between intake & output (should be 16-22 degrees F) buy a multimeter that can measure temp with a thermocouple that normally would come with it. They are fairly common & not terribly expensive. I used to measure with infrared gun but that is measuring surface temp rather than air temp ... it gave me far lower supposed output temps than reality.

As stated above, if you are getting 70 degrees inside temp in 95 degree heat yours is working great.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
Old 06-14-2021, 12:03 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Unless you have an easy start on each compressor, turning #1 on, waiting a minute or two for it to settle in, then turning #2 on will trip the 30 amp breaker. You might get by if everything, including charger is off, and you have a slow trip 30 amp breaker, but mine will trip the breaker anytime I try to run both off 30 amp. Plus, if the power shedding is working, it may not even allow #2 to try and start.

You can do what you described when running on generator if his coach has a load meter on the genset.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 01:01 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Are we both taking about Winnebago coaches w/ basement ac?? If so, you may need to replace that breaker.

My '03 coach (02 mfg date) has successfully run both compressors on 30a shore power for 18 years now, over 125k miles of travel all over North America. That's the beauty of the Winnebago setup.. it is designed to run both compressors on a 30a power source, generator or shore power. Of course, if you have other significant power uses online, the power center will try to help by shutting some things down. There is absolutely NO reason for you to be "turning #1 on, waiting a minute or two for it to settle in, then turning #2 on" manually. The Winnebago setup automatically does that for you! The only time you should ever have a problem running both compressors on 30a is when you are running other significant power loads turned on.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
Old 06-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Mine works just like Paul's.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:34 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
After reading these posts, I was able to tell that my AC was working, but it did not seem to be cooling the coach adequately. Went under the coach and checked the ductwork. Found leakage at the joint between the lower elbow and the verticle duct. Used aluminum tape and resealed.

Then discovered that the verticle duct itself had a split joint all the way up. After hours of effort, I was able to seal that joint with the same tape. Now the air volume is adequate to really make a difference

I was very surprised to find that the verticle duct appears to be made of a heavy paper like product. Does anybody know what it is actually made of?
rlcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 10:16 PM   #10

The duct-work in the rear cap is made of the same insulation material as used in house duct-work although thinner. There are many mfgrs. of this product.
I've read of some owners having to remove the rear cap to replace the ductwork.
For comparison, I started my basement air conditioner last Saturday when outside air was 89į one hr. later inside temperature was 78.
IMO the main cause of poor cooling is broken ductwork followed closely by dirty evaporator coil from using the cheap green mesh that is passed-off as an air filter.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air