Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2013, 06:54 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
HWH leveling System "Not leveling"

I seem do be doing something wrong with my leveling system. Winnebago Adventurer 38j. The last couple of times the system did not get the rig completely level. Side to side was good but front to back would not level. This last time I put blocks under the front jacks and nothing under the back. I set the jacks for "auto level" and waited and waited and waited for the coach to level up and shut down. It would go only so far and then nothing but ringy dingy ding dong. The site is relatively flat, I mean really flat and only put the blocks under the front jacks because that is what the 3' level said I needed to do.
I also notice that almost everyone of the other MH in the park have blocks under all 4 of their collective jacks. Is that something that I should/need to do.
Any and all advice will greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, the "excess slope" light is still lit
Thanks
TheToads
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Do you have your HWH operating manual? It answers most problems. I suggest phoning HWH (you must have your HWH model#) with your problem, they will know the solution. The excess slope light means the system cannot extend the jacks enough to obtain a level condition. Placing wood blocks, and/or yellow "leggo" blocks under the lower-end/side jacks is a solution.
If you are an almost level site and the excess slope light illuminates, that's above my entry-level knowledge
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #3
KIX

"only put the blocks under the front jacks because that is what the 3' level said I needed to do."
I suspect the slope was excessive.....your 3 foot level is probably telling the truth. And that's why the "excess slope" light is illuminated too. You could add more blocks under the front jacks but be careful with those blocks as more height increases the instability. Blocks other are using under their jacks prevent jack from burying in the ground or asphalt (if it's hot)
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can look here HWH Service Manuals RV Tech Library - HWH Leveling Jack Systems
RV Tech Library - How to Adjust the HWH Auto Leveling Sensor
other forums: HWH leveling system and Our trick for being level - Leveling - FMCA Motorhome Forums Calibrating HWH Auto Levelers - Leveling - FMCA Motorhome Forums Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
I seem do be doing something wrong with my leveling system. Winnebago Adventurer 38j. The last couple of times the system did not get the rig completely level. Side to side was good but front to back would not level. This last time I put blocks under the front jacks and nothing under the back. I set the jacks for "auto level" and waited and waited and waited for the coach to level up and shut down. It would go only so far and then nothing but ringy dingy ding dong. The site is relatively flat, I mean really flat and only put the blocks under the front jacks because that is what the 3' level said I needed to do.
I also notice that almost everyone of the other MH in the park have blocks under all 4 of their collective jacks. Is that something that I should/need to do.
Any and all advice will greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, the "excess slope" light is still lit
Thanks
TheToads
First off, just wondering, what model number of leveling system do you have? At this time, I'm presupposing it's an HWH system but, I could be way off on that. Are you saying that the "Excessive Slope" light is constantly on? Or is it coming on when the rig is trying to level? We have the HWH 625 system and it's either a fully automatic or, it can be used manually too. I've hit that "excessive slope" a couple of times and, while it doesn't seem to "excessive" to me, it apparently is to the computer. So, in the use of this coach, I've learned just what the computers tolerances are so, I recognize an excessive slope ahead of time and, will drive up on some blocks to get things primarily level so the leveling system does not have to work so hard at doing it.

Now, I'm not saying that there's nothing wrong with your system and that it's "operator error", because there most certainly CAN be something wrong with your system. The sensor could have become out of adjustment. It that happens, then it needs to be re-adjusted so that when it's level, so is the coach.

Now, as for applying blocks under the jacks. Well, there's any number of reasons for that. One, is the ground under most of the motor homes where you're at, just dirt or, gravel or what? People will put them under jacks if the ground is soft or, if additional height is needed or, trying to keep the feet of the jacks from filling up with dirt or debris, who knows.

So, with that said, just for your own satisfaction, I'd maybe try and drive up on some blocks, say, a couple of 2"x10" x 20" or so, on each side as a trial to see how things react in the leveling computer. But, when you do that, you'll need more blocks under the low side jacks to help with "fine tuning". Good luck and post back to let us know how things worked.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I hope I am not repeating myself here. Please post your signature. Your coach info will always be available in that way.

As others have already stated, level to the eye is not always level to the bubble. A flat site may not be level. More often than not sites are sloped.

Here are some guidelines to follow. You have a gasser so you don't have to worry about the wheels being off the ground. It is not recommended because it does strain the jacks but it is done all the time. ALWAYS use block. I have a pair of 4"x4"x18" blocks under each jack. I put eye bolts in one end of each and roped them together for ease retrieval. Make certain your break is set. (I'm not dumbing you down. Been there, done that myself.) Chocking your wheels is not a bad idea. If you have auto leveling, place your blocks correctly under each jack and push the button. Don't walk around inside. That confuses the system.

Are your slides HWH? In your operators manual you have a proceedure for checking the hydrolic oil level. It is important that the level be correct for the jacks and slides to work correctly. This is only common sense but often overlooked.

Many of the older campgrounds are built with trailers in mind. Level is not a problem for them. Just put more boards under the wheel out of level. This is not that easy for motorhomes but needed at times. So, if you carry some 2x12 boards about 16 to 20 inches long with you you may find them handy also.

Adjusting to your coach can be tough at times. Thanks for seeking help from the forum. What we have learned over the years we gladly share. No one solution is 'the one' but a combination of aspects just might solve the problem you are facing. Soon you will be sharing your advise with us!

Happy trails and levels sights.
Rick

Tags
leveling, hwh