Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 11:38 AM   #1

HWH slide problems ? HELP !

I took my Winnie 38J to Colorado to place my parents in their final resting place and had a great camp out . When it came time to leave, I had a problem with the living room slide and one of the cylinders leaking oil. I took it to BOB SCOTT RV (would not recommend them) in Grand Junction just to get charged $136.00 to be told that they couldn't do anything to fix the problem but, they recommended taking it to another "middle man" in Denver. After reading some posts on here, I decided to take it to HWH in Iowa since they were, kind of, on the way back to Florida and we had the time and that's where the product was born. We were greeted and had to wait ALL day for it to be fixed. Around 5pm, apparently, the techs were getting anxious to go home and wanted to be done with my problem. The Tech replaced parts and charged $1700.+ and told me that there was a noise during opening that was natural to a unit this old and not to worry about it but, he deemed that it was fixed.

I didn't open it until I got back to Daytona. It opened (noisily) a little too far and Popped off the trim by the stove. I tried to bring it back in and only one side came in. I called HWH and was told to contact a repairman here to fix it. I called everyone that advertised and was told by all that they were swamped. Can anyone recommend a repairman for me. I cannot move until my slides can be brought back in. I would like to get it back to HWH to allow them to make it right since they already have my $1700+ HELP !!! Thank you
ktumax is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 03:36 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktumax View Post
I took my Winnie 38J to Colorado to place my parents in their final resting place and had a great camp out . When it came time to leave, I had a problem with the living room slide and one of the cylinders leaking oil. I took it to BOB SCOTT RV (would not recommend them) in Grand Junction just to get charged $136.00 to be told that they couldn't do anything to fix the problem but, they recommended taking it to another "middle man" in Denver. After reading some posts on here, I decided to take it to HWH in Iowa since they were, kind of, on the way back to Florida and we had the time and that's where the product was born. We were greeted and had to wait ALL day for it to be fixed. Around 5pm, apparently, the techs were getting anxious to go home and wanted to be done with my problem. The Tech replaced parts and charged $1700.+ and told me that there was a noise during opening that was natural to a unit this old and not to worry about it but, he deemed that it was fixed.

I didn't open it until I got back to Daytona. It opened (noisily) a little too far and Popped off the trim by the stove. I tried to bring it back in and only one side came in. I called HWH and was told to contact a repairman here to fix it. I called everyone that advertised and was told by all that they were swamped. Can anyone recommend a repairman for me. I cannot move until my slides can be brought back in. I would like to get it back to HWH to allow them to make it right since they already have my $1700+ HELP !!! Thank you
First mistake you made was not verifying it was not working correctly before you left HWH. Might have made for an extra day stay but you would have found the problem But now that’s over and done with.

Yes, it’s going to be hard to get a mobile tech out this time of year.

I don’t know if you have all the manuals for the coach but my HWH has instructions for retracting the slide manually. On each slide rail there is a nut on the end of a long bolt. Normally you release the hydraulic valve and crank the nuts back in. It’s a slow process doing it by yourself but since the hydraulic seems to be working you may be able to crank the bolt on the end that is not working. Make sure whatever trim came loose is out of the way, even if you have to remove it. Crank the non working end and see if it pulls in. If it does, you may be able to take it in until it’s straight, bump the slide button until the working slide moves a couple inches then repeat the process until you get it all the way in. At least then you are mobile.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #3

Hi
Before you do anything take as many clear photos as you can and document any and all conversations date name of contact and time. Having this information will get you a better response if they think you are being advised by legal council true or not at this time, having this as a record is a safety net should you decide you need a lawyer to assist you get the Issue resolved. I had to do this myself so I know its good advise.
The previous post is correct you should be able to use the manual cranks to get your slide back in if you don't have the manuals may find something on Utube that would help.
Wishing the best of Luck
Kindest Regards
Onebrit
onebrit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, hwh, problem, problems, slide, slide problems