Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-30-2016, 08:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I Would Buy A New Winnebago If ...

My wife and I are 5 months away from going full time in our Winnebago that we have modified a lot for boondocking off grid. We've turned our regular Winnebago class A into what we believe will be a boondocking beast, more than capable of busting the 14 day stay on BLM land or other off grid remote locations. We don't want to live in an RV park, ever.

In getting ready for this we love to go to RV shows and dealerships to look at RV's, what we are seeing happen in the industry is in contrast to our RVing goal of off grid freedom. You know, the residential fridge, the washer dryer, and all of these things that are not very conducive to actually camping and are more in line with mobile home type equipment. We don't really "get" that, know what I mean?

We would buy a new Winnebago class A today if it was designed from the start to be a 14 day off grid RV. Solar power, composting toilet, large fresh and gray water holding tanks, and all of that. Our goal with our Winnebago from the start was to park anywhere, hook up to nothing, everything works and we don't have to move for minimum 14 days. Build a new Winnebago that can do that, I'll buy it ...

What would it take to make you trade in the Winnebago you love and buy a new one?
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
What would it take to make you trade in the Winnebago you love and buy a new one?
Lottery....

At this point we don't own a Winny, but I do like the Winnebago ultra-lite travel trailers. With that said, looking at RV's earlier this month at the RV show, I wish they had larger fresh water tanks and a gray tank that matched.

I'm looking for a quality RV trailer in the 26' to 30' range. The past 10 years we do maybe 3-4 one to two week vacations to mostly state and national parks. The national parks and the state parks without electric we limit the stay to 4 days. At the electric campgrounds we'll stay 7 days.

I would like to see manufactures offer a better battery bank set-up. Not just the one cheap-o group 24 battery. Pre-mounted solar panel system, not just "solar-prep". 75 gallon fresh, 65 gallon gray...

We like the Winnebago trailers, but didn't really see a floor-plan that would work. I want to check out the Arctic Fox line, which is a true 4-season RV.

Retiring in May and going to Alaska. But, want to try the BLM / wild camping thing. That is why were looking for more of a 4-season RV.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:06 AM   #3
JBP
Winnie-Wise

You can have Winnebago custom build your coach. They will do most of the items that you want done including increasing tankage adding solar. Most of the new Coaches that I've looked at have greatly increased solar capability. They also have the ability to expand that system both with roof mounted and ground mounted systems for extended stays off grid. I think the problem with the RV gas electric refrigerators is that they have had too many fires with him people are starting to shy away from them. I agree I have one in my coach now and I like the freedom and I like the option of either gas or electric. You might provide us with a list of things you've done to your Winnebago. Even though I have no intentions of staying off grid for 14 days I enjoyed the ability to stay off grid 2v to 3 nights without having to worry about anything. So I would be interested in seeing what you did to your coach.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Would love to have a Winne that is versatile enough to boondock and for a change of pace, park in an RV campground. I don't see any reason that these rigs cannot come equipped with solar at the very least. We have boondocked in our Navion with a dog and 2cats for 5 days. We were very frugal with water and froze all of our food ahead of time. Used the microwave sparingly and don't ask about dishes.
our mobile "tent" works well but could be stellar with some improvements easily done in the build. Could this be a niche for Winne? I know a few more people who would just jump at an opportunity to have one!
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

So happy to see that I'm not the only one that thinks this way, was really hesitant to make this post for fear of upsetting Winnebago owners, or just being called and idiot I guess .. Anyway, so far I added -

A solar power system that is fully integrated into the coach. It's really just another source of power, like the generator, in method of operation. Just hit the switch to turn on the inverter and the entire coach is powered up. The smart switch makes the change over the same way it does if you go from generator to shore power, 'Click', there ya go.

Changed all lights to LED.
Replace TV's with 12 volt models
Install TurboKool swamp cooler where the Fantastic fan was in the kitchen. Move Fantastic Fan to the bathroom, replacing that little loud sucker that was in there.
Install a Nature's Head composting toilet.
Combine via plumbing both black and gray tanks into one large gray water only tank.

I've also bought a extra propane tank and I made a water pump setup so that I can easily draw water, filtered, out of any lake, pond, creek, stream, or puddle (ha!) and fill our water tank via it's gravity feed. (water pump, hose, filter... easy)

So those are the areas that I've tried to improve on for off grid living in the RV.

Power (Solar, 5500 watt Generator, Propane)
No water Composting Toilet
Combine the holding tanks
Changed all that I could to 12 volt stuff
Solar can't run the AC, installed the TurboKool, it runs awesome on solar.
Extra propane tank and a host of other little things that are not coming to my older brain at this time. Ha!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I Would Buy A New Winnebago If ...

Agree that most coaches appear to be moving away from dry camping. But at the same time the energy efficiency is improving. LED lighting is becoming the norm. RR are sipping power. Solar is pretty easy to retrofit, which makes the RR problem go away. Tankless water heater saves on propane.

Fresh water and waste holding tanks are the biggest issues we have for dry camping. I will check into the composting toilet and replumbing the holding tanks to just gray water. Interesting.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We saw some of the new Winnebagos at the Tampa show. One thing they are doing is less windows that open for ventilation. On the new Tour up in the living area the three large windows that opened previously are now each one piece glass for a better view of the scenery. But you cannot get good fresh air at all.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Our vista has 76 gal water plus the 6 in hot water tank. Holding tanks are 41 & 42 gal respectfully. We have 1000 inverter/ charger, 150w solar panel, 4000w gas generator, 2 agm 12v coach batteries.
We dry camp 10-14 days at a time. You get creative with water and we do have a seven gallon water jug we do refill as needed.

We watch tv for 2-4 hours at night and sometimes in am. Generator used for drying hair, micro and battery charging on cloudy days
We mix in campground stays to dump and refill and fully charge computers etc. or use rv put stops. So far have really enjoyed the outings. We winter for three months this way.
jazzerjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
We saw some of the new Winnebagos at the Tampa show. One thing they are doing is less windows that open for ventilation. On the new Tour up in the living area the three large windows that opened previously are now each one piece glass for a better view of the scenery. But you cannot get good fresh air at all.
I'm really sorry to hear this. We are in the west and especially at night rarely use the ac. We've trying to figure out how Winne could add Windows not enclose us more! Guess that we won't plan to "upgrade".
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

As it turns out, both of our tanks have gate valves that feed a 3rd gate valve at the sewer hose attachment. To combine the tanks all I have to do is open the tank gate valves, leaving the final valve at the hose attachment shut. So both tanks get gray water only. Not sure if I'll change anything, might install another gate valve as a safety precaution.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTaylor View Post
My wife and I are 5 months away from going full time in our Winnebago that we have modified a lot for boondocking off grid. We've turned our regular Winnebago class A into what we believe will be a boondocking beast, more than capable of busting the 14 day stay on BLM land or other off grid remote locations. We don't want to live in an RV park, ever.

In getting ready for this we love to go to RV shows and dealerships to look at RV's, what we are seeing happen in the industry is in contrast to our RVing goal of off grid freedom. You know, the residential fridge, the washer dryer, and all of these things that are not very conducive to actually camping and are more in line with mobile home type equipment. We don't really "get" that, know what I mean?

We would buy a new Winnebago class A today if it was designed from the start to be a 14 day off grid RV. Solar power, composting toilet, large fresh and gray water holding tanks, and all of that. Our goal with our Winnebago from the start was to park anywhere, hook up to nothing, everything works and we don't have to move for minimum 14 days. Build a new Winnebago that can do that, I'll buy it ...

I enjoy being off the grad as well; 14 days, wow! How many and what kind of batteries do you have and 1000 watts of solar will take how long to charge them on a sunny day?
Old 01-31-2016, 07:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I prefer to dry camp and it's usually about 10 days before I need to dump or refil water. Considering a RR they are pretty darn efficient these days. I have read a good RR does not use a whole lot more energy then my no cold 1200. The RR does not need to run its compressor constantly. As for the tanks my winne holds almost 90 gallons of gray. It's quite the improvement over the journey I had although the fresh capacity is about the same. My gray tanks are full long before the 52 gallon blak tank so no composting toilet required. I am running 8 135 ah 6 volts, solar is coming next and maybe the RR have not decided yet. Winne should allow for more battery capacity. I would love to see lithium ion technology brought to RV's but may be too expensive at this point. Winne got a lot of things right on this coach but improvement is always needed. The underside has a lot of room for more tanks. I bought the last of the side radiators and the last year without DPF or DEF. in my opinion Winne is losing a lot of market share to Newmar and Tiffin because of the rear radiator only decision on their Tour models. It's heavily debated but I would not buy another rear radiator coach. Had an 04 journey with the C-7. Great coach but difficult to work on if you do your own maintenance. I will say the journey had a lot better workmanship, fit and finish than the Vectra I now own particularly on the paint. The paint is peeling all over where it is applied to metal. Poor prep work is the culprit. Strange to me because the Vectra was their flagship in 07 and was a lot more $. But overall happy with Winne I have owned 3. Regrettably my next one will most likely be a Newmar due to the radiator issue.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:00 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I know what you mean, I just ordered a new Class A from Winnebago and my only hesitancy was the fridge without a propane option. But it will have 6 house batteries and 800 to 1000 watts of solar, so I figure that will be plenty power for fulltiming and boondocking. Manufacturers and dealers grossly overprice solar so I am going to buy my own panel kit and have a local shop install them. Fortunately, Winnebago is still using propane cooktops, and the dealer has agreed to install 5 extra 12 volt outlets so I will have one outside and in every room to save more battery power.
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 10:13 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttaylor View Post
my wife and i are 5 months away from going full time in our winnebago that we have modified a lot for boondocking off grid. We've turned our regular winnebago class a into what we believe will be a boondocking beast, more than capable of busting the 14 day stay on blm land or other off grid remote locations. We don't want to live in an rv park, ever.

In getting ready for this we love to go to rv shows and dealerships to look at rv's, what we are seeing happen in the industry is in contrast to our rving goal of off grid freedom. You know, the residential fridge, the washer dryer, and all of these things that are not very conducive to actually camping and are more in line with mobile home type equipment. We don't really "get" that, know what i mean?

We would buy a new winnebago class a today if it was designed from the start to be a 14 day off grid rv. Solar power, composting toilet, large fresh and gray water holding tanks, and all of that. Our goal with our winnebago from the start was to park anywhere, hook up to nothing, everything works and we don't have to move for minimum 14 days. Build a new winnebago that can do that, i'll buy it ...

What would it take to make you trade in the winnebago you love and buy a new one?
earthroamer
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #15
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If they would stand behind their coaches that have known factory defects that show up out of warranty.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I would buy a new Winnebago if they had a better warranty.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:23 AM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Love it! Giving me ideas. Thanks for sharing. I've never head of the TurboCool. Could you explain how it works? Pics?
Jim&Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

'warm Floor" Electric heat mats under tile floor for use while in parks with electricity. Does not replace furnace, but takes the chill off while winter camping in the NW. They have been available for stick build for 10+ years now.

Build in computer desk/workstation area vs small love seat. How do you full time if you have to tear down the computer every time you want to eat at the dinette?

75+ gallon gray tank. I have 100 fresh, 60 gray, 45 black in my Journey but still run of of gray way to fast. All the new coaches have 60/40 that I've looked at.

Agree with the comments on solar & batteries.
Old 02-18-2016, 01:02 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

If Winnebago would get off their marketing high horse of making replacement parts available, "forever". But failing to mention that they actually charge a king's ransom for a replacement part when you actually do need one, years later.

Sure, it's convenient to be able to order a replacement wet bay door for your 1998 motorhome., (after that fire hydrant jumped out while you make a sharp turn). But for the same $7,800 that Winnebago is going to charge you for your newly produced panel, you can have one custom fabricated and painted to match perfectly, have your entire coach detailed and waxed, and take a nice short vacation trip!
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:05 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Put your money in a UniMog built for marsh, desert, highway, or no roads at all.
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winnebago