RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #1

If you thought you heard all the weird HWH slide stories, read this one.

Due to the current insanity, we have not used our moho since March. Two weeks ago I put out my rear slide on my 02 Winnie Journey DL to wash the slide topper, I left the slide out as I had some stuff to do inside. Today, I brought the slide in, or tried to.
The slide moved a little, moved a little, stopped, moved a little and then the pump just faded away. I figured the thing was cocked in the frame and the resistance caused an overload on the pump but it would cool and reset. I wiggled the slide as much as I could and then tried again, same result. I then put the slide out next time (very slowwwwly) but it didn't really seal up snug. I then attempted to bring it back in. Same deal, it struggled to get within 6 inches of closing and the motor died. SLide was cocked with bottom out 3-4 inches more than top. I made several attempts to put the slide back out but failed

I gave up for the moment and left on an errand, when I got back home THE SLIDE WAS FULLY OUT. No one touched it. When I tried to bring it back in it came almost all the way but didn't have the oomph to close properly and remained crooked. I was able to get it to slowly go back out, and then, nothing. I checked front slide, out and in properly but at the end the pump motor was fading. Fluid level fine, no overheating of pump when I crawled under and checked it.

An hour later after trying to find someone to repair it (I've read too many horror stories of folks trying to manually move an HWH slide in) and having come up empty, I went to the moho to see if the jacks would work. I started it, brought up the air, checked the E brake by releasing and re- applying it. I then ran the jacks down. Pump sounded normal, jacks lifted moho. I released jacks, shut the engine down.

More puzzled and annoyed than ever, I tried the retract switch for the rear slide ONE MORE TIME. Voila!, pump sounded normal, slide came in straight and quickly and sealed shut tightly! I NEVER get this lucky. It was like nothing had ever happened, works perfectly.

WTH happened? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? I'm dying to know if this is something that happened to someone else also or if anyone can shed ANY light on what may have caused it/cured it. I'm confused as all hell.

Darwin
medarwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #2

Low DC voltage situation?
Loose battery cable? Bad ground?
Poor connection(s)?
Check everything, including battery condition.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #3

Air in the cylinders.

Air can compress, while oil does not.
Running the pump, is pushing oil in the air filled cylinders. The air compresses behind the oil and will hold pressure in them.

While you were away, the trapped, compressed air made the slide move.

After a few cycles in and out, the air is purged, and all is well.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:12 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Low batteries. Starting it charged them.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #5

Moho was plugged in batteries were topped up and perfect. Checked before I started the moho.
Old 09-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #6

My owners manual says to open or close slides with engine running.
KD4XR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Air in the cylinders.

Air can compress, while oil does not.
Running the pump, is pushing oil in the air filled cylinders. The air compresses behind the oil and will hold pressure in them.

While you were away, the trapped, compressed air made the slide move.

After a few cycles in and out, the air is purged, and all is well.

He should check oil level in reservoir when jacks and slides are retracted. If oil level is low, fill to full mark deploy jacks and run slides out then retract all. Recheck oil level, if low repeat process until level remains at full mark.
That is the ONLY way to purge air from the system per HWH FAQ page.

The other and/or issue might be 12VDC lower than 13.8V, which the motor requires for proper operation according to the HWH FAQ page.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

When you put your jacks down maybe the slide moved slightly and got it squared up and not binding. Was the rig level when you was having trouble moving the slide?
00 Buckshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:46 PM   #9

I'm guessing Twinboat has it right. Air in the system. Is you fluid level the same with slides in as with slides out? Shouldn't change with a double acting cylinder. Air is the only explanation for the auto-deployment of the slide.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:27 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Okay, someone have have already said this, BUT: Did you follow the MFG instructions on putting out the slide in the first place? Mine states, yes I know its a different model and all, but. Level the coach, then put out the slides, OH yeah, do this while the engine is running because the pump needs to have the correct voltage going to pump.
Just MHO
Old 10-01-2020, 12:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'm guessing Twinboat has it right. Air in the system. Is you fluid level the same with slides in as with slides out? Shouldn't change with a double acting cylinder. Air is the only explanation for the auto-deployment of the slide.
The fluid level will change slightly if double acting cylinders are retracted. The rod, pulled inside the cylinder, displaces some of the fluid space.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 05:01 AM   #12

I'd go with frame was cooked a bit and working the jacks squared up the slide.

Always level b4 deploying slides
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Low batteries. Starting it charged them.
Motorhome was running for less than 5 minutes. Batteries were at full charge prior.
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD4XR View Post
My owners manual says to open or close slides with engine running.

I did not operate the slide with the moho running

Tags
hwh, slide