Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question Improve 2013 Sightseer Road Handling?

Hello,
I am a new owner of a 2013 Sightseer. I love the RV but I want to improve its road handling. My main problems have to do with steering and handling. On a long drive I have to constantly make minor corrections in steering and when a big rig passes me I get buffeted by its bow wave. I have read about putting in steering dampers and/or track bars. Honestly I am confused as to what I should do to improve the road manners of my rig. I would appreciate any advice you all may have to help me make handling/steering improvements to my rig.

Thank you.
Dr Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

You might go to the Ford Chassis forum on this site and look for the "Cheep Handling Fix" post and begin reading. You will learn a lot about Ford's handling and how to fix it. A lot of owners have made upgrades to their chassis. My suggestions for you would include: front steering stabilizer, rear track bar, CHF, proper tire inflations based on weight of your loaded coach, to start. At any rate, the Ford section is where you will find the info. Good Luck and congrats on your new Winnebago.
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had a 2006 Sightseer that had those problems. I had a second anti-sway bar installed on the rear and it fixed 90% of the problems.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Brazel's new track bar

I just put a new front track bar that Brazel's just put on the market. I was having the same problem about wandering and having to "sea saw the steering" to keep the coach in the middle of the turns. Also did not like the "big push" from big rigs. After I put the new style front track bar on it was like it was made to order. I still get a little push from the "truckers" but I think that is going to happen ant way. But the wandering is gone and the "sea saw" is now gone and steering dead solid in the turns. Now I also have a rear track bar and "Safe-T-plus"front steering control. Since I have a Winnebago 38J on a W 24 frame it took all of the above iron to get it to where I am now comfortable with my wife behind the wheel.
Hope that helps
Dean
TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jay View Post
Hello,
I am a new owner of a 2013 Sightseer. I love the RV but I want to improve its road handling. My main problems have to do with steering and handling. On a long drive I have to constantly make minor corrections in steering and when a big rig passes me I get buffeted by its bow wave. I have read about putting in steering dampers and/or track bars. Honestly I am confused as to what I should do to improve the road manners of my rig. I would appreciate any advice you all may have to help me make handling/steering improvements to my rig.

Thank you.
Before throwing money at your Sightseer make sure you tires are properly inflated. Get your MH weighed and inflate your tires based on this document from Michelin.
Michelin North America RV Load & Inflation Tables
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I must be missing something. My 2013 sightseer 33c handles fine. No wandering, a passing semi throws off only a minor bump and they are gone. Tire inflation is correct and I see no need for the CHF,

Am I lucky or do some folks expect these vehicles to ride like a car.
Jim
jncSiightsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 03:20 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jncSiightsee View Post
I must be missing something. My 2013 sightseer 33c handles fine. No wandering, a passing semi throws off only a minor bump and they are gone. Tire inflation is correct and I see no need for the CHF,

Am I lucky or do some folks expect these vehicles to ride like a car.
Jim
My 2010 Itasca Sunova 33c (same thing as the Sightseer) handles fine also. We bought it new in 2010 and I immediately weighed the coach, adjusted the tire pressures down according to our loaded weight and then got the front end aligned.

I had the alignment done at a truck service shop that featured the latest computerized laser equipment. The alignment technician put the toe-in toward the higher end of the specification for better steering.

It was pretty good but wanting a bit better ride over rough pavement joints I added the Kelderman Air Suspension System. At the same time, I went ahead and added a rear Roadmaster HD anti-sway bar and a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer.

The ride is pretty good (one-handed) but I need to tweak the air pressures in the bags some more to find the "sweet spot".
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I had a Class A 34ft with 228 inch wheel base with 22.5 tires.

I put a rear track bar on it and it make a big change. It would stay straight ahead and now tail wag.

The newer Ford frame has a front steering stabilizer on it from the factory.
TCHB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sightseer