Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2021, 11:57 AM   #1

Infuriating design - HWH 325 control box plastic window and rubber seal

Does anyone have tips for reinstalling the stupid plastic window and rubber seal around the 325 or similar HWH control box?

I can't believe how poorly engineered this is. Location is one thing, absolutely stupid to mount this where you can't access it, there are fuses to replace, possible electronic components to replace or adjust, just terrible.

I had to replace one fuse after replacing a hydraulic solenoid. The work itself was done in 15 minutes. I now have spent 4x that just messing with the stupid window and seal. I can't get the stupid thing back on. I can't get my hand in the tiny space to work on it.

Install rubber on plastic first, then try to wrap around lip of aluminum box? Install rubber on aluminum box first, then try to wrap around lip of plastic? Beat with large hammer until satisfied? No big deal, its just the crucial electronic components to seal from road grime and spray.

Obviously I'm fed up.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps you might give Paul Maddox (azpete) a call (602 549 3638). He works for HWH, is active on these forums, and is always helpful to folks with HWH issues.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I installed a new digital leveling sensor in our HWH control box. I don't remember having any trouble reinstalling the rubber seal or plexiglass.
Maybe your rubber seal has shrunk?

Try installing the rubber seal first, then insert the plexiglass cover.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Leveling system basement control box.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	344493  
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 12:48 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have removed and reinstalled mine a few times, and I have used liquid soap to get the last few inches of the plastic under the rubber seal.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc73 View Post
Does anyone have tips for reinstalling the stupid plastic window and rubber seal around the 325 or similar HWH control box?

I can't believe how poorly engineered this is. Location is one thing, absolutely stupid to mount this where you can't access it, there are fuses to replace, possible electronic components to replace or adjust, just terrible.

I had to replace one fuse after replacing a hydraulic solenoid. The work itself was done in 15 minutes. I now have spent 4x that just messing with the stupid window and seal. I can't get the stupid thing back on. I can't get my hand in the tiny space to work on it.

Install rubber on plastic first, then try to wrap around lip of aluminum box? Install rubber on aluminum box first, then try to wrap around lip of plastic? Beat with large hammer until satisfied? No big deal, its just the crucial electronic components to seal from road grime and spray.

Obviously I'm fed up.
"Poorly engineered"?
Well, our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, at present, is 17 years old and I just rolled over 100,000 miles on it and so far, that forward facing, right in front of the right front tire, Plexiglass covered HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System Control box, has weathered the storm, so to speak, just fine. I'll admit, I've not had to disassemble the front to replace anything but, I have had to lay under that coach and adjust my auto leveling sensor a time or two, no biggie. But, so far, the design has seemed to be at least appropriate for endurance.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
"Poorly engineered"?
Well, our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and, at present, is 17 years old and I just rolled over 100,000 miles on it and so far, that forward facing, right in front of the right front tire, Plexiglass covered HWH 625 Computer Controlled Automatic Leveling System Control box, has weathered the storm, so to speak, just fine. I'll admit, I've not had to disassemble the front to replace anything but, I have had to lay under that coach and adjust my auto leveling sensor a time or two, no biggie. But, so far, the design has seemed to be at least appropriate for endurance.
Scott
Its obviously sturdily built... by poor engineering, I am referring to the fact that this important box that the owner would need to have access to, is almost inaccessible the way its installed on my coach. By some people's replies I can tell that different models are better. With the 2005 Adventurer 35A its terrible. It might have looked accessible when the chassis was built by itself, but once Winnebago built the coach around the chassis, they put a compartment upright right across the middle of the box. There are two clamps with a single screw holding the control box to the chassis, which are difficult to get to. You can remove the screws, but there is no slack in the wiring, so it really doesn't help with access much. Its super tight to get to the fuses, etc. When the coach was being designed, if they would have put the control box inside the adjacent compartment, it would have been perfect. Also this rubber seal with cheap plastic window just seems like it could have been done better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_134859.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	344539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210928_134914.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	344540  

Old 09-28-2021, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJStough View Post
I have removed and reinstalled mine a few times, and I have used liquid soap to get the last few inches of the plastic under the rubber seal.
I used some foaming slideout seal lubricant and it seemed to help me get it back on. Should also be good for the rubber to keep it from hardening more than it already has.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
I installed a new digital leveling sensor in our HWH control box. I don't remember having any trouble reinstalling the rubber seal or plexiglass.
Maybe your rubber seal has shrunk?

Try installing the rubber seal first, then insert the plexiglass cover.
Check out my recent reply to someone else with pictures. Your location is much better.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:37 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I'm with dc73, Winnebago really missed it with that installation. What were they thinking when they designed that setup?
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 07:39 PM   #10

Try extending the slide completely out and you will have much better access. Obviously that may not be possible if you're having issues with the HWH system.

With the slide out that cover goes on easily.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Try extending the slide completely out and you will have much better access. Obviously that may not be possible if you're having issues with the HWH system.

With the slide out that cover goes on easily.
Hey Tom,
First, I think the OP would have thought of that, (moving the slide out to gain better access) IF, that was an actual slide-out that was in front of that box. So, I don't think, based on the pics he's presented, that it is a slide out in front of that box.

Now, to the OP. Here's just a thought. If, you plan on messing with that "box" at any time in the future, and it's as you say, a pain in the a$$ to get to it, work on it, re-install parts etc., well, then MOVE IT! I mean, if all that's connected to it is a group of wires, say what, maybe 10 or less (I don't know how many, I've never counted them) and, if all those wires are color coded or numbered, then simply cut all of them.

Now, relocate that box, to a compartment or place of your choice. Now, simply add extensions to all the wires with good quality connections. I'd solder all the connections and, I'd use the shrink tubing that contains a sealer in it when melted. If you do this, the primary concern would be to have that coach dead level before you start the project.

Now, when you remount that control box, you just make sure that the box is also DEAD LEVEL. That way, in the future when you go to level the coach, the box never knows it was moved. Its auto leveling components will still see LEVEL when they need to, just like before it was moved. This is just a suggestion to alleviate your frustrations with working on it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 04:46 PM   #12

Now, relocate that box, to a compartment or place of your choice.

Now, when you remount that control box, you just make sure that the box is also DEAD LEVEL.
Scott[/QUOTE]

One other consideration might be to make sure the relocated box is oriented in relation to the coach in the same way as before
Stan
Old 10-05-2021, 06:37 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
From the pic, that fiberglass panel with the built in steps is over the wheel, is it not? Look from the outside at the top of that panel and under the lip. Some of those, if not all, are hinged under that top strip just like your bay doors. Go to the bottom of that panel and see if there are any screws(under and from the side), they will be small phillips #2 heads. If so, you can remove the screws and swing the panel up and bungie it out of the way and then you can get your hands to the forward side of that box.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
I have a 2005 Adventurer 37b. Have to pretty much agree with dc73 that Winnebago and HWH really blew it with the choice of location for the HWH control box, along with it's cover design.

Mine is located pretty much directly under the driver's seat - but low on the chassis - right in front of the large slide. I can access the box and cover - which luckily I only had to do once - and I recall having the exact same frustration in trying to get the cover and seal back on. Think I thoroughly cleaned the cover, seal and box , and then coated the seal with silicon(?) to provide some lubrication. But it was a bitch to get back together - no doubt.

I also have my concerns about mounting such a critical electronic device down close to the road where it gets covered by road spray, rain, dirt, etc, etc,. But - I have to say that none of that seems to have gotten inside the box. I am more concerned if I have to work more on the HWH hydraulics, solenoids, wires and hoses located immediately behind the electronics box - because it is not only a maze of tightly coiled and interlocked hoses and wires - but they are all thoroughly covered in road grime - barely accessible and not at all designed for service work.

My concerns with HWH go beyond this though. If you have the large "flat floor" slide there is much more evidence of poor HWH engineering. They went to extreme lengths to build a slide out that simply comes up <1.5" when you bring it in. They did this by having dual rams, one pair of which rises up that little bit on 4 small triangular nylon slide blocks - maybe only 3/4" wide. Well- when you consider all the weight that is on that slide - the slide itself, the slide mechanism, all furniture inside, and then all the stuff that can fit into the 3 large compartment bays - it is no wonder that those 4 small blocks do not last very long before splitting and breaking apart. We found that out the hard way when hearing grinding and seeing the slide start to rip into the interior flooring because the blocks had disintegrated.

But the criticisms do not end there - because those critical nylon slide blocks - as well as the nylon pads which the rams ride on - were obviously not designed to be replaced. At least not short of taking out the entire slide and disassembling the sliding rams. I know because I got all the service information I could find from HWH and Winnebago.

I would have preferred the much simpler and more reliable straight slide mechanisms that were used in the rear slides. So what if they are a bit higher than the main floor when brought in? I think there are some wonderful things which Winnebago designed and built into their motor homes, but based on all mentioned above about HWH systems - they could have done better - - -much better.
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh, seal, wind, window