Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #1

I want to replace the Magnetek Converter/charger in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V with an Intelipower 9160 converter/charger with the battery management wizard. Has anyone done this. Are there going to be any complex wiring issues? I am hoping that the wiring would be very similar, so that I can just plug and play. Changing connectors, or butt joining wiring is witin my grasp, but I am hoping that someone will reassure me that the wiring harness is otherwise the same. And, I'd like to place the new unit in the same place (under the drawer that is under the stove. The dimension seems about the same, so the only location concern would be any difference in heat generated. That space does not look particularly well ventilated.
soarsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:06 PM   #2

I want to replace the Magnetek Converter/charger in my 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 32V with an Intelipower 9160 converter/charger with the battery management wizard. Has anyone done this. Are there going to be any complex wiring issues? I am hoping that the wiring would be very similar, so that I can just plug and play. Changing connectors, or butt joining wiring is witin my grasp, but I am hoping that someone will reassure me that the wiring harness is otherwise the same. And, I'd like to place the new unit in the same place (under the drawer that is under the stove. The dimension seems about the same, so the only location concern would be any difference in heat generated. That space does not look particularly well ventilated.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I did the change out in January, and it took all of 10 or 15 minutes. Just make sure power to the coach is off; both shore-power and the battery disconnect switch. One grren ground will now go the the back of the 9160, where they have provided a proper size terminal. You'll have to install new mounting screws, as the old one used 2 in the back and 2 in the front. The new one uses 2 in the back (different spacing), and ine in the front.

I fished the wire for the Charge Wizard down behind the paneling on the side of the fridge, and mounted the unit there, so no wire shows. I actually elongated the hole in the back of the charge wizard so the wire would come right out the back and into the wall, instead of out the side of the charge wizard as shipped.

Make sure you ask for the 9160 with the fan soft-start circuitry. My original one had a fan that was noisey, and cycled fairly often with not much load on the converter. I called them, and they said that a lot of people have been complaining about the fan, so they came up with a new "soft start, soft-stop". The exchanged the unit with no hassle. The new one is the same model number, but has 3 fuses next the the Charge Wizard connector instead of 2.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #4

I purchased the Intelipower 9160A from Camping World today. I inquired if it was the new quiet one and was assured it was. The installation is straight forward. I had to extend the ground to the charger chassis because the layout of the Magnetek I was repllacing had the ground lug placed differently. I installed the battery wizard by simply bringing the unit and its wire into the bottom drawer. Seems to work fine. This drawer is not high use for us.
Unfortunately, as soon as the fan came on, it was way loud. I immediately called Progressive Dynamic, and after I refused to take the unit back to CW the service person agreed to look up the serial #. Indeed I had one of the unmodified units. It will be replaced under warranty (I get to pay the shipping on the return of my unit).