Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 09:03 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Installing Wally Receiver and Pathway X2

I have a 2006 Journey and am trying to figure out where to place the wally and what connectors should be used. I have the (original ) winegard entertain select and a (original) toshiba entertainment center with an updated 2011 samsung. Anyone have experience in making this happen I would appreciate assistance.
jabassmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't speak for your specific config but (I have both the Wally and Pathway) I can offer some guidance. First thing I'd do is to run a coax directly from the Wally to the antenna, run an HDMI directly from the Wally to the TV, and run the setup. Make sure everything works properly before adding any extra boxes.

The Wally/Pathway coax has to be "clean" so that the Wally can send voltage to the antenna to make it work. No Winegard switch, no splitters. If you have a "cable tv" or "sat tv" hookup in a bay you might be able to use that coax as part of the run... hook the antenna up to the bay connection and plug the coax that goes to the Winegard directly into the Wally. Keep in mind the Wally only likes 50' or less coax, so you probably can only use about 25' from the bay to the antenna as the run from the bay to the Winegard is probably 20' or more. If you don't have one, you will likely have to run a new coax from the Wally to the Pathfinder.

Once that is done you can start playing with the output from the Wally to your TV. HDMI is the preferred connection (highest quality) so unless your Winegard switches HDMI you'll probably just bypass it and go directly to the TV. The Wally does have standard RCA outputs which could go to the Winegard but you'd lose quality, probably only SD instead of HD.

In my setup I just use the TV menu to manage the inputs... HDMI-1 is my sat tv, HDMI-2 is my Blu-Ray, Antenna is the feed from the Winegard box for the roof OTA antenna. For my config, the Winegard box is pretty much useless other than as an antenna amplifier.

So, a direct line to the Pathfinder from the Wally, and then maybe (but likely not) using the Winegard to manage the output from the Wally to your TV.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post
Can't speak for your specific config but (I have both the Wally and Pathway) I can offer some guidance. First thing I'd do is to run a coax directly from the Wally to the antenna, run an HDMI directly from the Wally to the TV, and run the setup. Make sure everything works properly before adding any extra boxes.

The Wally/Pathway coax has to be "clean" so that the Wally can send voltage to the antenna to make it work. No Winegard switch, no splitters. If you have a "cable tv" or "sat tv" hookup in a bay you might be able to use that coax as part of the run... hook the antenna up to the bay connection and plug the coax that goes to the Winegard directly into the Wally. Keep in mind the Wally only likes 50' or less coax, so you probably can only use about 25' from the bay to the antenna as the run from the bay to the Winegard is probably 20' or more. If you don't have one, you will likely have to run a new coax from the Wally to the Pathfinder.

Once that is done you can start playing with the output from the Wally to your TV. HDMI is the preferred connection (highest quality) so unless your Winegard switches HDMI you'll probably just bypass it and go directly to the TV. The Wally does have standard RCA outputs which could go to the Winegard but you'd lose quality, probably only SD instead of HD.

In my setup I just use the TV menu to manage the inputs... HDMI-1 is my sat tv, HDMI-2 is my Blu-Ray, Antenna is the feed from the Winegard box for the roof OTA antenna. For my config, the Winegard box is pretty much useless other than as an antenna amplifier.

So, a direct line to the Pathfinder from the Wally, and then maybe (but likely not) using the Winegard to manage the output from the Wally to your TV.
that is exactly how I hooked up and use mine. works great
Old 01-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiddleb View Post

many thanks. I did a quick hookup of the wally in my power bay near the dish and proved that everything worked. signal quality was o.k. in daytime but poor at night. I have tried to drop my plastic shroud behind mt TV so I could get to the backside connections of TV but cannot figure out how to drop front part of cover. My HDMI connects on TV are on the side and I have a metal bar that prohibits me from plugging in the HDMI cable from the wally. I fully agree that a dedicated line directly into the TV is the only way to go. I will make it happen. Thanks for your response.
l
Old 01-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Assuming you mean the standard over-the-dash TV, to remove the shroud you have some screws (usually under caps) to remove around the perimeter on the back. The front shroud is usually part of the wood trim ring around the TV (has a small speaker above the TV.) To remove that, there 2-3 screws just inside the doorframes of the overhead cabinets on each side of the TV. Each goes through the cabinet into the frame around the TV. Be sure to support the shroud before removing, and watch out for the speaker wires above the TV.
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 04:26 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
As a followup I have now found a wallplate over drivers head inside cabinet that has a connection for portable satellite. I connected my wally to that port and connected an hdmi cable to one end of wally and other end to TV HDMI input. picture blows me away. In getting all my connections done Could not get front side of backcover off so I bent it back so I could get to the bolts that held the TV (four) and pulled the TV looe from the frame so I could get to the location of the HDMI input on side of TV. again Ed, thanks for the help.

Tags
install