Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Inverter upgrade

Hello
I own a 02 adventurer 37g. I would like to upgrade my inverter. I've tried to search this site but I am not locating any answers.
What are some choices? 1000 watts would be more than enough.
I would like to include some of the outlets so passengers can use their devices going down the road.
Thanks for any assistance

jwheels
jwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This is very doable. I added a 400 watt inverter. You need to make sure that the wiring will support whatever wattage you pick. Consult the AWG wiring chart for the correct wire size.

In my case, I ran #10 wire 6 feet to the battery.

Since you want to use this going down the road, battery drain won't be a problem.

Running fat wires any distance can become challenging.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

it really depends on what you want to run and how much power those use. I have upgraded to the Victron Multiplus which not only will give me AC throughout the RV (without having to do any special wiring or put in AC relays) but also gives me a better 4 stage converter as well. Was not cheap and i did have to run 4/0 wire from it to my batteries but wasn't bad to do at all.
EXPLORIST life has a great youtube channel on a lot of the wiring and power stuff. All About RV's also has a lot of good information.
robburns76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:10 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it.
jwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Keep the inverter close to the batteries and use at least 2 gauge wire for a 1000 watt inverter.

Use a 14 gauge cord plugged into the inverter to a auto transfer switch behind the breaker panel.

Find the breaker that powers the outlets, follow that wire out behind the breaker panel and cut and splice the auto transfer switch in to that wire. Make sure its not also powering the Fridge or converter/charger, just outlets.

Here's what you need.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/xan806-...EaAmMiEALw_wcB

https://www.thesolarbiz.com/catalog/...IaAsNdEALw_wcBClick image for larger version

Name:	1066y-806-1210-Xantrex-PROwatt-SW-1000-12v-1000-Watt-True-Sine-Wave-Power-Inverter.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	279419Click image for larger version

Name:	magnum-csw-ts15-transfer-switch-15amp.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	279420
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Keep the inverter close to the batteries and use at least 2 gauge wire for a 1000 watt inverter.

Use a 14 gauge cord plugged into the inverter to a auto transfer switch behind the breaker panel.

Find the breaker that powers the outlets, follow that wire out behind the breaker panel and cut and splice the auto transfer switch in to that wire. Make sure its not also powering the Fridge or converter/charger, just outlets.

Here's what you need.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/xan806-...EaAmMiEALw_wcB

https://www.thesolarbiz.com/catalog/...IaAsNdEALw_wcBAttachment 279419Attachment 279420
if you go this route, you will need to make sure you turn off the breaker for your converter when turning on the inverter otherwise you will have a loop that will just drain your batteries.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robburns76 View Post
if you go this route, you will need to make sure you turn off the breaker for your converter when turning on the inverter otherwise you will have a loop that will just drain your batteries.
Thats not true.

I said not to use a breaker that powers the converter/charger or fridge.

I did exactly what I discribed, on my rig. My converter/charger is on its own breaker, not the one powering the outlets.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Thats not true.

I said not to use a breaker that powers the converter/charger or fridge.

I did exactly what I discribed, on my rig. My converter/charger is on its own breaker, not the one powering the outlets.
Sorry, i misread, i see you tied into that same breaker. That will work great provided all your outlets are on the same breaker.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:16 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
When we installed a residential fridge in our fifth wheel I installed a AIMS Power PWRIX120012S 1200W Pure Sine Inverter with Transfer Switch. I mounted it close to the batteries then found the 120 volt wire in the breaker box that powered the fridge and tied it into the inverter. Made it handy having the transfer switch in the inverter. It was not that bad of a price I didn't think compared to buying the parts separate.
L-M-L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, upgrade