Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-15-2020, 04:32 PM   #1

Itasca Horizon 39QD

I am contemplating upgrading to this coach. On a Freightliner XCS chassis with a Caterpillar 330 HP. Are there any large deficiencies to watch out for? TIA
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a 39QD.. I think they are like most other coaches...Better like to tinker..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
i have a 39QD.. I think they are like most other coaches...Better like to tinker..
Thanks for the reply. The tinker part isn't so bad. It's the cylinder head, radiator, J71 AAPB and the high priced part I get tired of like on my Workhorse.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #4

What year model is the coach you are considering??
Old 11-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #5

Old 11-22-2020, 11:33 AM   #6

It was on Camping World but I don't see it any more.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:45 AM   #7

https://cdn.fccchq.com/specsheets/5b...;-Meridian.pdf

How it has been maintained over the years is important.

But, that is certainly a chassis and mechanical components used under many coaches.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 39QD 2004 with the Cumins 8.3. 350HP.

To me the rear radiator was a big plus. It runs great, and has been mostly trouble free.

Watch the roof radis seal for deterioration.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
It was on Camping World but I don't see it any more.
Curious how much Camping World was asking for her ?
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 08:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petesflhtk View Post
Curious how much Camping World was asking for her ?
I've looked at so many but to the best of my recollection it was 35 to 40,000. That is the range I've been looking at. They were supposedly taking a bunch to the auction according to their Facebook page and their website. Who really knows. People say don't buy from CW but it isn't much different from any other dealers when it comes to buying used.
Old 11-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I've looked at so many but to the best of my recollection it was 35 to 40,000. That is the range I've been looking at. They were supposedly taking a bunch to the auction according to their Facebook page and their website. Who really knows. People say don't buy from CW but it isn't much different from any other dealers when it comes to buying used.
David 70,
Well, we have a sort-a sister ship to the one you're thinking of purchasing. Ours is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Allison MH3000 6-spd trans. There were a few changes from the '03 to the '04 era Winnes and Itascas. Our chassis was built in 10 of '03 and sports that C-7 CAT as stated. But, there were others, along the same assembly line, in the same time frame, that came with last versions of the 3126. Basically, the 3126 and C-7 are the same engine only the C-7 has some slight changes.

The slide-out stepway cover on the one you're thinking of most likely is AIR OPERATED whereas, ours is driven by an electric motor. The windshields are identical. Your inverter/charger may, or may not be the Dimensions 2000 watt version. I don't know when that unit was introduced to the Winne and Itasca diesel lineup. Although I still claim the Winnes and Itasca diesels of my era are great coaches, I have done my share of work and repair on ours.

One of the best pieces of advice I or, any experienced Winne/Itasca owner might share with you is, as soon as you procure this rig, get up and, either on the roof or, with a stable, HIGH ladder and, inspect that roof-to-gutter joint. Winne/Itasca GLUED that joint and used no fasteners. The roof sheeting is rolled over and stuck in a space, inside that roof gutter, and is adhered to it with a calk/adhesive.

There's been a few thousand threads on here about that joint and what to use after the coach has a few zillion miles and years on it. I won't go into that right now. Another important point to look at is, to check the INSIDE of the radiator and CAC unit. You see, I'm not really sure about the 3126 CATs but, the C-7 versions, were installed with a very short *blow by* tube that spits oil fumes out every now and then, especially if the INCORRECT amount of oil is put into the engine during an oil change.

When that spitting of oil fumes happen, and the blow by tube has not been extended, the oily fumes get deposited on the inside face of the CAC and the radiator. When that happens, the engine fan, which is turning practically 24/7/365 (no fan clutch), is like a giant vacuum and, picks up every dirt partical, piece of hay, debris, grocery bags, and anything else it can, and deposits all that stuff right onto the oily fins of the CAC and radiator.

When that happens enough, after a while, your cooling fins are simply SEALED UP and can no longer pass air through them. When that happens, you don't get as cool of an air charge going into the engine which, lowers performance and raises engine temps. AND, if that radiator gets its fins clogged too, that also means NO AIR being able to pass through the fins and, therefore cool the coolant down. Typically, since the engine is not working too hard on flat level ground to power the coach along at 60+mph, you'll not see almost any rise in temp.

But, when that coach hits a grade, and the outside temp is in the higher ranges, say around 80+ degrees, your engine temp will climb, right along with coach climbing the grade. Soooo, that's something to inspect. If, the previous owner(s) have not extended that blow by tube, it should be done. And, a 3126 owner should chime in here to make sure you have the correct amount of oil being put back into that engine after an oil and filter change. The C-7 (about 99.99999%) of them in motorhomes, use's 19 quarts TOTAL!

Anyway, feel free to ask any questions. I've had lots of things apart on this coach so, I quite possibly might be able to answer your questions from direct experience on the same brand/model.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #12

Thanks Fireup for your response. Although tis particular unit got away from me it is still good to get the info. I read a lot of comments on this forum on the items you mentioned. I presently have a 32v Adventurer with a 7,4 in it. I had the same radiator problems although not from the blow by but it was totally plug in the fins between the ac condenser and the radiator. It took me 2 years to finally figure it out. I finally got a Scangauge II to read the the temp and other info right. The temp gauge would say 210 and the scsngauge read 260. The roof deal I had first hand experience with it. We had70+mph winds one nigth and the driver's side was facing right in to it. I found funny looking pieces of styrofoam all around and figured it had blown over from one of the neighbors. I walked by the mh the next day and sais ho ----. I went in the neighbor's corn field ans found back what I could and put the roof back together. I put a few short screws in along with a sealer after cleaning the channel and it's still there.
Old 11-30-2020, 12:41 PM   #13

With the C7 make sure you have your oil changed (or change it yourself) regularly. The HEUI system needs clean oil to work properly and prevent it from coming apart destroying your injectors. At around 86,XXX miles i had to have injector 1 replaced and the harness as well. Came to about $3k, but it has been running good ever since. I only use CAT filters for the oil and fuels. I do my own oil changes so it doesn't cost labor, but fuel filters i have the shop do. CAT is great when you call, they are very helpful. I called to get the amount of oil and the guy was able to answer my question quickly with the engine serial number, and he said never to hesitate to call for any questions I might have. Also would suggest getting access to Freightliners DTA Connect. Very useful with wiring diagrams and such for the chassis. Make sure to change your warranty registration first, but simple to sign up.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, itasca