Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 AM   #1

Itasca vs. Winnebago

Can anyone give me the differences between these two? I've done a lot of reading and some say theyre exactly the same. Some say they are different. Just found out the Winnie Im purchasing is an Itasca model. Can you guys please help me outline what the differences may be?
Thanks
Superrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Itasca was a brand created by Winnebago to allow multiple non-competing dealerships in a given area. Coaches used to vary slightly in trim colors but that was it. Winnebago has basically stopped using the dual branding strategy.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 01:29 PM   #3

pretty much the same kinda like chevy vs gmc.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superrv View Post
Can anyone give me the differences between these two? I've done a lot of reading and some say theyre exactly the same. Some say they are different. Just found out the Winnie Im purchasing is an Itasca model. Can you guys please help me outline what the differences may be?
Thanks
Well,
You don't say what model/year/engine/chassis etc. that you're considering. But, take for instance, our coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Now, for our year, the basic "top of the line" for Itasca was the Horizon. But, for Winnebago, it was an equal called the Vectra. Now, they were very close but, NOT EXACT. I can't even begin to label all the differences but, some were, head lights, tail lights, interior lighting, and more. Chris should be along here shortly and will also point out some differences.

In those years, as stated, the Horizon was top shot for Itasca and Vectra was it for Winne. There were two others for Winne that were actually higher. The Ultimate Freedom and Ultimate Advantage. But those were in a different class.

Below the Horizon was the Meridian and below the Vectra was the Journey. There were differences in those two machines too but, I've forgotten what they were. Things changed over the years and so did hierarchy. I never did get into those dealership sales things between the two so, got no comment on that. Eventually, as in oh, maybe around '16 or so, Winne dropped the Itasca lineup completely. But, someone in Winne, decided to bring back, the Horizon name plate, for a Winnebago, in or around maybe '17 or '18. Must have thought it was important.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

We have a 2019 Itasca Sunstar. It is marked with Winnebago badges front and back. The Title says Itasca. It’s direct Winnebago counterpart is the Vista. The only differences I could find are minor trim and colors now. There are far more differences in a GMC / Chevrolet comparison.

I’m sure the reasons for having both lines have changed over the years. I was under the impression that Winnebago bought the Itasca brand back in the 70’s. But it’s too long ago for me to have any confidence in that memory.

The Winnebago gassers are equal in value between the brands.
Nickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 PM   #6

I have a 2015 Itasca Ellipse made by Winnabego I purchased in 2017. It’s twin is the Winnabego Tour. I believe the only difference we’re the color options to choose from. Some colors (interior and exterior) were only available on the Itasca. I believe that Winnabego has stoped making the Itasca line and now only makes Winnabegos. Just like Ford eliminated the Mercury line.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #7

Our 2003 Itasca Sunova is basically the same as the 2003 Winnebago Sightseer. Decal names, logos, and colors are different of course. Otherwise, exterior looks to be identical. Interior, I believe color themes were the difference. It's possible an option or two was offered for one and not the other but I don't think this was the case. Pretty sure the offerings of chassis, appliances, and equipment were pretty much identical.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just like Chevy and Oldsmobile. Really the same coach, with the Itasca having more options as standard.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Some of the later years they were exactly the same and other years the Itasca was a step up. The list on our 2005 Suncruiser was over $2000 more than the Adventurer. It had some things (stainless package, shades for the Maxi-Fans) that weren't on the Adventurer. Nothing that would make me buy one over the other.
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well,
You don't say what model/year/engine/chassis etc. that you're considering. But, take for instance, our coach. It's an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP. Now, for our year, the basic "top of the line" for Itasca was the Horizon. But, for Winnebago, it was an equal called the Vectra. Now, they were very close but, NOT EXACT. I can't even begin to label all the differences but, some were, head lights, tail lights, interior lighting, and more. Chris should be along here shortly and will also point out some differences.

In those years, as stated, the Horizon was top shot for Itasca and Vectra was it for Winne. There were two others for Winne that were actually higher. The Ultimate Freedom and Ultimate Advantage. But those were in a different class.

Below the Horizon was the Meridian and below the Vectra was the Journey. There were differences in those two machines too but, I've forgotten what they were. Things changed over the years and so did hierarchy. I never did get into those dealership sales things between the two so, got no comment on that. Eventually, as in oh, maybe around '16 or so, Winne dropped the Itasca lineup completely. But, someone in Winne, decided to bring back, the Horizon name plate, for a Winnebago, in or around maybe '17 or '18. Must have thought it was important.
Scott
In 2000, the Ultimate Freedom was a $50,000 upcharge.I bought mine used, I bought the highest quality I could afford, vs new.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:48 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
When we bought ours used three years ago I did not know what the difference was or even if Winnie/Itasca was a quality product. While on the dealer's lot I asked about the differences and told him I was more interested in high quality over best deal as to low price. He told me he had been in the business for 40 years, gave me the run down on all the brands and models. Told me the basic difference between Winnie and Itasca was options. Winnies could be order with few options and sold at a lower price over the Itasca that had many options as standard. After shopping around I tend to believe what he told me.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #12

As mentioned one of the reasons for Winnebago purchasing the Itasca brand was to increase the Winnebago presence in the RV market without infringing on the current franchised dealers territory. Another reason was to be able to build motorhomes on different brand chassis. At the time Winnebago had an exclusive with Dodge, but wanted to use Chevrolet and Ford chassis as well.

As for the differences Itasca was introduced as a little more expensive than Winnebago models. When we were searching for our first motorhome in 2001 we already knew we wanted a Winnebago product. We researched both the Winnebago and Itasca lineup and found as previously mentioned the Itasca models came with more standard features and different color schemes than the comparable Winnebago offerings.

Many of the features found standard on the Itasca Suncruiser were options on the Winnebago Adventurer. The Adventurer could be equipped with the same amenities, but when doing so an equally equipped Adventurer became more expensive than a Suncruiser.

Fast forward to 2013 when were researching a replacement for our 2001 Adventurer. The Adventurer had served us well with over 100,000 miles on the odometer. However the technology had advanced to the point that the entertainment systems were no longer compatible and needed to be upgraded. Rather than spend the money on a 12+ year old vehicle with mega miles and equally old systems and appliances we chose to replace the entire unit.

By this time there were negligible differences between the Itasca Suncruiser and the Winnebago Adventurer. When we asked Winnebago to outline the differences they sent us an e mail with the 16 differences between the models. 15 of the 16 differences were "badging" in that where one model would say "Winnebago" the other would say "Itasca", and where one model would say "Adventurer" the other would say "Suncruiser". The only physical difference was that Itasca offered 1 different interior color scheme.

Interestingly the Itasca brand still listed for $3,000.00 more than the Winnebago brand with identical colors, amenities, and systems. Since we were not interested in the one different interior color scheme we opted for the Winnebago Adventurer for a second time.

In about the 2016 time frame Winnebago started phasing out the Itasca brand name. The current lineup includes many of the same models that were once "Itasca" models, now sold as "Winnebago" models. Those models include the Sunstar, Sunova, and Sunstar LX.

As with almost any vehicle manufacturer the models available are ever changing. New models are introduced on an almost yearly basis, while some of the popular models of the past are discontinued. Even some model names that were discontinued in the past are recycled. A prime example of that is the Adventurer. It was the top of the line model in 2017 with a starting list price of $198,000.00. It was discontinued for 2018 and returned in 2019. It went from the top of the line gas offering to the second inline under the Sightseer.

Tags
itasca, winnebago