Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2009, 04:15 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Jack Leveler Pad(s)

About 8 months ago I lost a "foot" pad somewhere between Houston and San Antonio. I didn't even know it until the day I was leaving and my neighbor told me I was missing a leveler foot. That was the driver side one.

Well, a few days ago I lost the passenger one on the NY Thruway. I really did not know it this time either as when I got out and checked what the noise was, I found my mud guard all bent up and dragging on the roadway. There was a BING BUMP BANG and I had assumed it was the mud guard that made the noise. I took it off and stowed it in the TOAD, but at the next CG I checked why the levelers were not seeming to operate properly (on crushed rock) and saw that the passenger side jack was into the rocks about 2 inches. I'm using a 4 to 5 inch square piece of 1/4 to 5/8 piece of steel that I picked up at a garage as the foot pad. I just place it under the leveler before it hits the ground. I'll have it replaced when I return to Texas.

Anyhow, what's with this. I did ask the last time if this was a common occurrence and was met with a "no." I asked if they checked the other foot pads to see if they were tight and was met with a "yes."

Is this something we should do as an unsafe practice, crawl under the coach and put a wrench on the holding bolt? To make it safe I'd have to carry 15 ton jack stands and then I'm not sure I could get them under there.

Suggestions?
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Talking

On the first MH we owned (Newmar Mountainaire) the jack feet were not even bolted on. The bottom of the piston had a rounded surface and the feet had the matching female surface. They were held to the frame of the piston with springs. The springs put upward force on the feet when the jacks were retracted. They were HWH, retracted quickly and allowed for lean on an uneven surface.

I do not know if the current design is the same. If not, I can always talk about the good old days.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:18 PM   #3
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Wayne, you've got me worried! Are these the front or rear pads? Did you question Kwickie or your dealer?
I got so used to the HWH jacks on my old Brave that I never considered how the pads were attached to the Kwickie levelers on the Destination and now I realise that the springs aren't there to hold them on. How are they attached?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
These were both the front pads about 8 months apart. They are Kwikee (PowerGear) levelers. To my knowledge there is a bolt through the bottom of the pad that holds it in place. You are correct that there are no springs for retraction and that would keep the pads in place in most situations.

Also, since we are not on totally level ground at many CG's there is considerable force on those bolts. Several times up and down in that situation may be cause for the bolt to loosen. I am not sure if there is a lock washer in place or not. Most likely not as that would cause additional strain on unlevel ground. I have talked to Winnebago and the telephone techinician had not heard of this before. Of course, all he had to do was read my file!!! I have not contacted Kwikee yet, but I intend to when I have some down time during this travel.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If your travels include the Workhorse Homecoming Rally in Ohio maybe we can compare notes there. Otherwise, please post what you learn from Kwikee. Thanks!