Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Jack wont retract..

My front driver side HWH 310 series hyd jack wont retract ..I have boiled it down to the solenoid vlv. The vlv is a 2 and 1/4 dia. with the T handle for pressure relief and when I back the handle off the cyl will eventually go up. I wont to remove the vlv and see if it had trash in it from an o-ring or other foreign matter..I cant figure out how to remove the vlv I think it screws in but I am not certain and dont wont to damage it..I worked in hyd .for years when I was in Atlanta building and repairing dump trucks for Heil South. Any help will be appreciated here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2018, 08:26 PM   #2

If you don't get an answer here you should contact hwh on Monday. Their techs are very helpful when it comes to trouble shooting problems and will give you instructions on how to do the repairs.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboss619 View Post
My front driver side HWH 310 series hyd jack wont retract ..I have boiled it down to the solenoid vlv. The vlv is a 2 and 1/4 dia. with the T handle for pressure relief and when I back the handle off the cyl will eventually go up. I wont to remove the vlv and see if it had trash in it from an o-ring or other foreign matter..I cant figure out how to remove the vlv I think it screws in but I am not certain and dont wont to damage it..I worked in hyd .for years when I was in Atlanta building and repairing dump trucks for Heil South. Any help will be appreciated here.
Yes it unscrews, i used a big channel lock to loosen it, then removed it by hand.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:58 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Yes it unscrews. Clockwise to tighten counterclockwise to remove.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:17 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
ok, unscrew it is and I have a big pair of c-locks to do the job with...thanks agn
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
Jack wont retract..

Did you check the fuses on the controller, under the dash? There is a fuse for each jack. One blew on mine before. Actually, the front drivers jack.
Cougarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 01:09 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know how long you've owned the rig or what led you to this diagnosis, but if you haven't tried cleaning legs with silicone spray and spraying same around top where leg enters the the jack cylinder, it might get results. Wipe down the legs after spraying and clean footings as well. I had this problem with my front passenger side unit and my first application provided no significant benefit and I raised the jack by leveraging it with a 2x4. I did this a couple more times and then on the third down and up cycle it did lift, although very slowly. I did not apply the silicone spray again, but after three more down and up cycles, done when needed not all at one time, it now "stores" at the same speed as the other three. This may not be your situation at all, but I subscribe to a notion that if it can be handled without opening systems up that it's certainly worth a try.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:18 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
tks ,,yes I cleaned the shaft 3 times even wiped it down with some 0000 steel wool and no results..I put my floor jack under the cylinder and lowered the jack down on it until it started picking the coach up, I was able to push the cyl up just a very small bit..When I released the hyd line at the manifold it went back up..this tells me the blockage is either the manifold or the solenoid vlv.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've been told that you might check the hydraulic connection at the top of the jack by removing the cap on the "T" connector and if a significant amount of oil is discharged, it is likely that the jack is fault and will need to be repaired/replaced.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #10
Commercial Member

first, get a service manual for your system. check the fuses for the solenoids.
if you cant find one, email me at pfmaddox@att.net. i will send you one. tell me which system you have, and the year of your coach.
open the tee handle on the solenoid valve. run the jack down. it should immediately retract. if it does not, repair or replace the cylinder. hwh will rebuild it, or you can order a new or a rebuilt one. stuarts in elkhart indiana should be able to supply one right away without waiting for a call from hwh.
if the jack retracts , replace or repair the solenoid valve. but,
do the diagnostics first. if you just start replacing parts, it cost more.
i can help. 1-602-549-3638, or pfmaddox@att.net
paul maddox
i work for hwh. i do not advertise, sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
first, get a service manual for your system. check the fuses for the solenoids.
if you cant find one, email me at pfmaddox@att.net. i will send you one. tell me which system you have, and the year of your coach.
open the tee handle on the solenoid valve. run the jack down. it should immediately retract. if it does not, repair or replace the cylinder. hwh will rebuild it, or you can order a new or a rebuilt one. stuarts in elkhart indiana should be able to supply one right away without waiting for a call from hwh.
if the jack retracts , replace or repair the solenoid valve. but,
do the diagnostics first. if you just start replacing parts, it cost more.
i can help. 1-602-549-3638, or pfmaddox@att.net
paul maddox
i work for hwh. i do not advertise, sell parts, or solicit service work on this forum.
TKS Paul I will do as you say..
Old 04-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
service manual..

Paul I would love to have a copy of the service manual for the 310 HWH non-computer spacemaker straight jacks on my 2002 35U adventurer. Tks Terry tboss619@outlook.com
Old 04-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had jacks that wouldn't retract.. I also suspected the solenoid BUT after a visit to HWH my problem was the jacks themselves and my solenoids were fine.. HWH is great to deal with..
Petesflhtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:32 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
resetting HWH control system

I posted a question here a week or so ago and see that there were 5 replies. However, I can't seem to find where the 'replies' are! If anyone can help with that, that would be great.
So I'll try again here.
I recently sent my control box to HWH and they fixed a problem with a 'ground'. They said they checked everything and I got it back and all seems to work great now except....when I go to 'store' the jacks, nothing happens.
When I had other issues, this happened too, many times. Stuck in Ga. last year, I was given a # to a mechanic who walked me through a way to 'RE SET' the system. Soon as I did this the jacks immediately retracted!
To do this:
Turn key on. Hold all 4 DOWN buttons down. While holding those down, push the "ON" button, turning system ON. Worked great!

But now, after the control box was fixed and re-installed, I have had to do this RE SET procedure every time. ???
Was hoping Paul...the HWH man...would have a suggestion as to what might be wrong and what to do. And hopefully I don't have to remove the control box again!!
Paul, did you see the other post? Again, I can not find where to read the 5 replies and they are not where the message is listed.
I've been on irv2 a year or so but not very active as I don't always have internet.
I hope I can see any replies sent this time! All my email notification boxes are checked, but saw nothing in my emails, either. It is zadawn@gmail.
Have a nice day, everyone, and thank you,
Dawn (Bajasoon)
Bajasoon is offline   Reply With Quote