Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2020, 06:52 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Jacks

We have a 2018 Winnebago Vista. When we retract the leveling jacks the rear jacks are very slow to retract. Then after they are completely up and we attempt to drive away, we get the audio alarm and flashing lights than indicate that the jacks are still down. A visual check finds that they are indeed completely retracted. The alarm will go off after driving 5 minutes or so. But the alarm will activate again after hitting a bump (like where the highway pavement joins to a bridge). We have learned to live with it but we would like to find a fix. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks.
Turnerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2020, 08:03 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If they have springs and they are original, replace them. Check with the manufacturer to see if a newer, stronger spring has replaced them.

If they have zerks (grease nipples) on the jacks near the bottom then grease them, generally with lithium grease.

Either way extend them as fully as is safe and spray with whatever the manufacturer recommends, usually WD40, wipe them down and then retract them. Repeat monthly or under dirty conditions.

Please let us know if these things work and if not then we can go on. We will need brand, model and whether they are electric, hydraulic, spring or hydraulic return ect.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #3

The only time when my alarm went off when driving was when the hydraulic (ATF) was low. You may want to check the level in the reservoir.

I will usually retract, turn the system off and back on to see if I still have a jacks down light. My rear jacks retract slower than the fronts for sure.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #4

I would first off use a dry spray on the exposed part of the jack. This will help in the rising process. I would all so as said check the fluid level with jacks up. If low it will make the alarm go off.
be-happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by be-happy View Post
I would first off use a dry spray on the exposed part of the jack. This will help in the rising process. I would all so as said check the fluid level with jacks up. If low it will make the alarm go off.
Do not use anything but ATF or WD40 to clean the SST jack pistons/shafts then wipe it off, per HWH FAQ page.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:12 PM   #6

I had exactly the same problem.
Added Oil to the hydraulic oil tank.
Fixed ever since. No more alarms on bumps!
2017 Winnebago Vista 29ve (Special Edition) Many Mods: Trimark Keyless Entry, Ride Rite Air bags, Roadmaster anti-sway bars, CrossFire dual tire system, TST TPMS, Roadmaster Sterling tow bar. Many little mods.
corvetteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #7

I've had good results with an ATF wipe down.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Jacks

Thank you for your replies. The fix was simple. Even though the fluid level appeared to be adequate, I added more fluid and no more alarms. I only needed about 1/4 of a quart. An old guy once told me to look at the easiest fix first. He was right.

Thank you for your kind help.
Turnerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerp View Post
Thank you for your replies. The fix was simple. Even though the fluid level appeared to be adequate, I added more fluid and no more alarms. I only needed about 1/4 of a quart. An old guy once told me to look at the easiest fix first. He was right.

Thank you for your kind help.
Yep, it's called the KISS principle.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:03 AM   #10
Commercial Member

power gear/lippert uses fluid level to show when a jack is extended. low fluid will cause an alarm. lippert uses a float at the top of the tank to signal a jack is not retracted.
hwh uses a magnet located on top of the jack rod that magnetically contacts with a jack down sensor on top of the jack cylinder.
hwh does not depend on fluid level for any signal.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jacks